What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

AOA LED Indicator Location

drill_and_buck

Well Known Member
Patron
I have the AFS AOA sport and am finalizing my panel layout. I have the option of placing the LED ladder on top of the glare shield or in the panel , at the top.

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone flying with an AOA with regards to the placement of the display.

If you have it in the panel, is it always in your field of vision on final? Does it work for you or would you prefer to have it on top of the glare shield?

For those of you who have it on top of the glareshield, are you happy with the position? Do you think that it would work just as well on the panel?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

-Mike Draper
RV-8 finish

AOA

I put mine on top of the glareshield where it's easy to see and I would do the same again. Easy to see the lights in your periphal (?) vision not only when landing but when messin around as well when you may not be thinking airspeed is all that important (turns/aerobatics/etc). I also really like having "my girlfriend" (as my wife calls her) talking to me when she's about to quit flying!

AOA picture

It's not a good picture, but you can see mine up from the altimeter. (about 11 o'clock)
Good location. In your field of view, but not taking up much space.
aoahz2.gif

I put mine right in front of my face under the glare shield (attached to the glare shield). I am very pleased with its' location. Easy to see while keeping your eyes outside the aircraft, but not obstructing the view outside either.

I've seen it mentioned before but don't know if anyone has done it. What about mounting the LED's on the glareshield such that they face up and reflect off the windshield? Kind of giving a poor-man's HUD? Anyone ever done this? Are the lights too dim?

Top of the glare shield rocks...

I can see this in my periferal vision on final. It works great.
http://www.vansairforce.net/N617ARVirtualTour/cockpit030906.jpg

...and, Van's put it in a similar spot in the RV-10 demonstrator:
http://www.vansaircraft.com/images/Rv10/06_11/inside/309.jpg

b,
d

drill_and_buck said:
I have the AFS AOA sport and am finalizing my panel layout. I have the option of placing the LED ladder on top of the glare shield or in the panel , at the top.

I would appreciate any feedback from anyone flying with an AOA with regards to the placement of the display.

If you have it in the panel, is it always in your field of vision on final? Does it work for you or would you prefer to have it on top of the glare shield?

For those of you who have it on top of the glareshield, are you happy with the position? Do you think that it would work just as well on the panel?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

-Mike Draper
RV-8 finish

Back