What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aircraft Spruce RAPCO Vacuum Pump

Bob Axsom

Well Known Member
I bought the RAPCO Vacuum System Kit with the RA215CC Vacuun Pump and installed it as I built the plane. It required fairly high engine RPM to get the gauge off of zero so it was always low when taxiing. By adjusting the regulator the situation was improved but in flight the reading was toward the high end of acceptable. Today it failed completely after 250 hours. What is the field experience with this pump? What alternatives are available for an O-360-A1A? I ordered a replacement tonight because I have a BFR coming up in a month and a half and I'm going to be traveling for about three weeks between now and then so this is a "for next time" query.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
You got 50 hours more than I did. There was a discussion about it. Look for "Rapco lifespan".

I wondered if maybe it didn't last as long as it should because of the heat. Spruce sells a heat shroud for it, so I gave it a try. Guess we'll know in a couple of years if it helped.

I was wondering about that

I saw that in the catalog as well and wondered about it. I will be able to modify my order before they ship tomorrow I'm sure. Thanks for the nudge, I think I will try the same thing.

Bob Axsom

Back