What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon D10A Not turning on/booting up...

AirWolf

(A little history about my D10A) When I got my D10A a couple of months ago, I was able to take it out of the box and turn it on right away, as it was running off the internal battery. After a while, I got a low battery warning, and then the EFIS turned off, not allowing me to turn it back on. So I figured that once I finished the wiring I could hook it up and charge the battery.

When I finished my wiring for the D10A and the altitude encoder module, I wanted to turn the EFIS on to see if the encoder module was sending data to my GPS, and to charge the internal battery.
When I turn the avionics switch on, the Display on the D10A does not come on, BUT there is a faint clicking sound that sounds like it is trying to turn on. When I press the far left button the clicking stops, and when I release the button the clicking starts again.
Also sometimes when I turn the avionics switch on I get a momentary activation of the lcd display (without any data being shown) that coencides with the clicking sound.

I verified that I have the main power and ground going to the correct pins, and there was no other source of power on the connector (I don't have the emergency power or the backup power hooked up).

It seems like something is not booting up properly, but I am really not sure. Any suggestions on how to fix it? Do I need to try to load new SW?

Ron Heberlein
RV-9A

Charge the battery and try Dynon's new forum

Try sending a note to the Dynon Forum, they have been getting back to people on the weekends in some cases. The forum is on their website.

But first of all make sure the internal battery is changed before turning it on again. Sounds like you ran it way down.

N916K said:
Try sending a note to the Dynon Forum, they have been getting back to people on the weekends in some cases. The forum is on their website.

But first of all make sure the internal battery is changed before turning it on again. Sounds like you ran it way down.

Thanks, I posted this question in both places last night.
How are you supposed to charge the battery if it is not in the EFIS? I'm assuming that you didn't mean 'changed'?

Problem Solved!

After looking at the dynon site to download the sw installation program, I saw that the latest revision fixes a bug where some units will not turn on if there is less than 12.5V. I hooked the charger up to the plane battery, and what do you know, the thing clicked a couple of times, and then booted up!

Now I've just got to check and see if the decoder module is outputting the correct signal!

Ron
RV-9A

Yes, 'charge' the battery :) . I see that Dynon got back to ya, hope you got it all fixed.

Back