What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Wing Rib PN Help Needed

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
My Rocket was ground looped prior to my ownership and apparently the damage is more extensive than originally disclosed. The left outboard aileron hinge was reworked and reinstalled in the incorrect location. The good news is that this part is easy to fabricate, and the better news is that it neatly explains my wing heavy/roll trim issue.

The bad news is the outer wing rib is in bad shape and I'm going to have to replace part of it (also easy to fabricate) or ALL of it. If I elect to replace the whole thing, the part numbers on the Vans site are somewhat confusing. I think I need the W-411L, but there are choices for "notched" (?) and other further iterations of the W-411 part number.

Can anyone point me to the right number? Need an undrilled, aft, outboard rib for the left wing of a HR-II.

Thanks much!

Last edited:
Michael,

The notching is to fit around the main spar cap laminations toward the inboard end. there are no spar laminations at the outboard end, so you want an un-notched rib. The -R and -L designates which way the flange is bent. One with the flange outboard of the web as installed on the left wing (or with the flange inboard on the right wing) will have the -L suffix.

I have Rocket II and RV-4 plans if you want to come up and take a look.

Thanks Miles,

I do have a set of the plans, but they are old and contain some part number mistakes (namely the aileron hinge callouts conflict between the various sheets). I'm sure the answers are on the plans somewhere, but I don't have them in front of me at the moment.

On the other note, I know a buddy has been in contact with you, so we'll likely both come up to visit before too long.

Wing Rib Help

Michael -

I just looked at my Rocket plans:

Left Wing outboard rib is W-11-R (Flange faces inward, or to the right)

Right Wing outboard rib is W-11-L (Flange faces inward, or to the left)

These are the same numbers as in my -4 plans except the model designator, the number 4 is dropped for reasons of John's choosing. So the Van's AC numbers are W-411-R & L

Miles is correct about the "notched" ribs - way back when, we just got ribs and then notched them as needed. Evidently that has changed.

Hope that helps.

David

Yes, that helps a bunch. The "L" or "R" is a bit counterintuitive at first blush though. Thanks for pointing that out!

Back