What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

help with my panel

donahuedc

It's getting to the point of picking out the panel for our 9a. I'd like some advice. We are VFR pilots and are not interested enough in IFR flight to get our instrument tickets. At the same time, we want glass and it is getting more affordable all the time. I've gotten some advice from a vendor and many friends so here is where I'm at now. Please feel free to comment.
One af-3500 or af-3400 efis and engine monitor. Two were suggested but I don't think we need the backup for VFR flight.
One gtx-327 transponder
One sl-30 nav com ils or one garmin 430. I think I can get the 430 for about $5700 for experimental use, so is it worth the extra money?
One air gizmo panel dock. I currently have a 296 but will probably buy a 396 or 496 for weather.
Trutrak autopilot. I've been recommended the Digiflight IIVS. But I'm not sure which one I'd really like.
One audio panel. I've been recommended the PMA-8000B. I'm not sure if I need an audio panel if I have only one radio.
Comments or suggestions? I know that there is a whole spectrum of peoples thoughts from the dual cheltons to the most basic VFR panels possible. But I suspect that most are like me. I can't afford the Cheltons but I want something useful and nice. Thanks.

Your panel ideas sound a lot like what I did in real life (dual GRT, SL-30, GPS 396, GTX-327 and GMA-340 audio panel).

Only rated VFR now but I saw a lot of functionality in having the SL-30 in there. If you go with the 396, I don't think you'd need the capability of the 430 or the like. 296/396/496 has much better screen and can display weather and terrain very well. I love the capabillity of the SL-30 because yes I can use it as a LOC/GS receiver in the future... but it also offers the ability to monitor TWO COM and NAV freq at the same time. The 430 can't do that... PLUS the SL-30 can integrate very well to the 396/496 by receiving frequencies from it. My GRT system does this as well. A lot of EFIS makers now offer connectivity to the SL-30 because of its good use of serial inputs.

As far as audio panel, I wish I went with the PS 8000B. Very handy when you want to add music and other things. My hangar neighbor just upgraded from the GMA-340 and immediately fell in love with it.

GTX-327 transponder is just fine. Figured with ADS-B coming along I can get traffic then.

See what EFIS systems have the ability to upgrade in the future and what other things they talk to (autopilot, gps, nav/com radios etc).

Back