What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Audio panel speaker?

Davepar

Well Known Member
Does everybody typically install a speaker for their audio panel? I thought it might be nice to be able to listen to ATIS on the ground without putting on the headsets (i.e. plane is not running). And does it need to be a special speaker, or will a a Radio Shack type work OK? (I'm using a PS Engineering PMA-8000B.)

Thanks,
Dave

If you do this, don't put it anywhere near the compass, the magnet in the speaker will affect it.

Also, if you use a handheld as an emergency radio, why not mount it on a bracket somewhere handy and use it instead?

Vern

Davepar said:
Does everybody typically install a speaker for their audio panel? I thought it might be nice to be able to listen to ATIS on the ground without putting on the headsets (i.e. plane is not running). And does it need to be a special speaker, or will a a Radio Shack type work OK? (I'm using a PS Engineering PMA-8000B.)
Thanks,
Dave

I mounted a Radio Shack speaker to the side panel in the baggage compartment behind the left seat. Speaker switch is on the panel, and the intercom is a SoftComm.

Speaker (as sold) is self contained in a plastic box, with mounting bracket. It all works well!

L.Adamson RV6A

Back