What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

universal primer?

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
i would like to put a coat of primer on my wing tip fairings i have been modifying to see if they look good enough to paint. i haven't even thought about what kind of paint i will use for the airplane. is there any rattle can primer that will allow me to put a coat on and not bite me later when i choosee a paint?

i would like to put a coat of primer on my wing tip fairings i have been modifying to see if they look good enough to paint. i haven't even thought about what kind of paint i will use for the airplane. is there any rattle can primer that will allow me to put a coat on and not bite me later when i choosee a paint?

I don't think you'll have a problem with any of the rattle can primers in that application as long as the surface is clean. Scuff it and your pre-paint primer will stick very well.

I used UV Smooth Prime and it works really nice. Shoot on three coats or roll it on, then sand away with progressively higher grits until it is smooth. Gives UV protection to the fiberglass and can be top coated with the primer & paint of your choice later. I think they indicate that you must let it outgas for at least 3 weeks before putting anything else on it, otherwise it might cause problems with bubbling the top coat.

Back