What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Foreflight Update - Animated ADS-B Radar

Jesse

Well Known Member
We have been waiting for this update for some time, but there will now be animated nexrad on Foreflight in flight with the Stratus. I talked to them at Oshkosh and they said the Stratus 2 has more memory than the Stratus 1, so it might be the case that it will hold more nexrad data, but my understanding is that it will be stored in the Stratus unit, so even if you aren't in Foreflight the whole time, you should be able to get animated nexrad right when you open it up. I haven't verified this, but that would be very handy. It won't have data, obviously, from before the flight, but should keep it cached during the flight on the Stratus.

Last edited:
From today's email:

Animated ADS-B radar via Stratus

Animated ADS-B radar is available to both ForeFlight Mobile Standard and Pro subscribers with a first or second generation Stratus. Please note that ADS-B weather (and Stratus) requires iPad 2 or newer or iPhone 4 or newer.

In-flight animated ADS-B radar gives you another edge on situational awareness and informed decision making by providing strategic weather trending information. See if weather is building or dissipating, and the likely direction of travel.

When Stratus is connected to your iPad or iPhone, select the radar overlay option in the Maps view. You will now see an animation play button in the lower left corner of the screen. The animated set will play up to five frames of contiguous NEXRAD updates. Nearby NEXRAD precipitation maps update every 5 minutes whereas radar data further away from your aircraft updates every 15 minutes.

An additional feature to mention is the zoom-to-route button. In the image above, you can see the new button above the zoom control. This makes it convenient to pan around the map view and then quickly re-center the map over your plotted route.

Garmin

Did not realize Forflight did not show moving radar. The garmin gdl-39 has been doing this since i got it. I use it with Garmin Pilot app on my Ipad.
What is the use of Radar if you don't know which direction the weather is traveling?

Did not realize Forflight did not show moving radar. The garmin gdl-39 has been doing this since i got it. I use it with Garmin Pilot app on my Ipad.
What is the use of Radar if you don't know which direction the weather is traveling?

Really. I didn't know that the Garmin app provided animated radar.

I thought this might push me over the edge with Stratus. Guess I'll check out Garmin Pilot but whatever app it sounds like a no brainer to me.

The Foreflight has always had moving weather on it normal display while not connected to the Stratus. What we had done in the pass I used my IPAD in the Cellular mode and just before engine start would turn on the Stratus since it would not pick up until we were airborne.

It worked well as we would have the current weather display on the Foreflight using WIFI on some ramps or Cellular data to provide the WX picture. Now with the animation... this is a great addition.

Jack

With the new Stratus II operational in the plane, are you going to be 2020 compliant with the FAA?
Without ADS-B OUT no system will be 2020 compliant. The STRATUS II, Garmin Pilot, WingX, etc. purchased as sold are all ADS-B IN only therefore will not meet the current 2020 mandate.

Well, looks like Jessie beat me to the same statement.

Back