What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Trio ProPilot altitude hold

airtoby

I have a rv-6 with the trio ProPilot. Have been working on getting the vertical servo to not be so aggressive. I have tried all different gain settings, but it seems to be over controlling . Should I move the attach point on the bellcrank up to desensitize the servo?
Thanks in advance for any help
Toby

I have a rv-6 with the trio ProPilot. Have been working on getting the vertical servo to not be so aggressive. I have tried all different gain settings, but it seems to be over controlling . Should I move the attach point on the bellcrank up to desensitize the servo?
Thanks in advance for any help
Toby

Some suggestions (in this order):

1) Call Chuck or Jerry at Trio and let them walk you through troubleshooting and calibration.

2) Carefully check your static connections, a leaky connection can make the altitude hold go nuts.

3) Put all the gain settings back to default. The plane should fly nicely with default settings (assuming proper installation), you can fine tune once you find the cause of the erratic behavior.

This should get things straightened out. I fly the Pro Pilot in my RV-6 and you will have a fantastic autopilot with a great feature set.

Have you spoken to the factory? Great customer support! They can probably answer your question better than anybody.

I had a few early issues with my pitch axis, and the factory was great in helping me in modifying the settings.

If your pitch servo is installed per the instructions, you shouldn't have to move the attach points.

Speaking of customer support; I emailed Trio on Saturday morning about a question wiring my pitch servo and received a response within a half hour or so, while they were attending copperstate!:)

factory reset

I just had that problem with my Pro that had been working fantastic for 3 years. It was on the way home on a recent cross country. On the last leg when I engaged it would not hold and would porpoise about 50 ft. or so causing me to hand fly.....oh darn! I called the guys at Trio and they said to try the factory reset. I did it twice just to make sure, went through the entire set up procedure again, and it is back to spot on. You can find the reset option in setup but I would definitely call Trio. They answer their phones even on Sunday it seems and are always ready and willing to help.

EFIS

It is coupled to a advanced 5600 and yes I have a arinc disconnect it is actually a switch to switch from the efis to my 696

Back