What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B

cfiidon

Well Known Member
Here's one for the ADS-B experts:

I have a Navworx ADS600B installed in my -8, and it displays traffic both on the GNS430W and on my IPAD using WingXPro.

The other day I was checking out the system and noticed that even though I was in my hangar (door faces South) I was getting traffic displays. Specifically, I was seeing five or six of Embry Riddle's aircraft all flying on the south side of Daytona (all their N numbers end in ER). That's 40 miles away.

I cannot receive a ground station TIS on the ground and in my hangar. My knowledge of ADS-B tells me it is possible for me to see perhaps one or two aircraft line of sight through the hangar door, although I have never seen that before. The antenna is on the bottom of the wing.

I suppose the only other reasonable explanation is that ER's aircraft were at an altitude and position to bounce their signal off the hangars opposite me.

I have not seen any other aircraft displayed like this since. Other than a very strong and/or freak reflected signal I have no other explanation.

Anyone?

Don

Here's one for the ADS-B experts:

I have a Navworx ADS600B installed in my -8, and it displays traffic both on the GNS430W and on my IPAD using WingXPro.

The other day I was checking out the system and noticed that even though I was in my hangar (door faces South) I was getting traffic displays. Specifically, I was seeing five or six of Embry Riddle's aircraft all flying on the south side of Daytona (all their N numbers end in ER). That's 40 miles away.

I cannot receive a ground station TIS on the ground and in my hangar. My knowledge of ADS-B tells me it is possible for me to see perhaps one or two aircraft line of sight through the hangar door, although I have never seen that before. The antenna is on the bottom of the wing.

I suppose the only other reasonable explanation is that ER's aircraft were at an altitude and position to bounce their signal off the hangars opposite me.

I have not seen any other aircraft displayed like this since. Other than a very strong and/or freak reflected signal I have no other explanation.

Anyone?

Don

Might have been a metrological phenomena ("anomalous propagation") called "ducting". This can cause UHF signals to be received significantly further away than normal due to their signal being trapped within this "duct". Rare, temporary in nature and completely unpredictable.

:cool:

Last edited:
Back