What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nascar Flyover at Charlotte-Team AeroDynamix

arffguy

Well Known Member
Awesome job folks! The formation even caught the attention of the normally jaded NASCAR folks on pit road. The combination of strobes and pyro in the night sky looked really cool! As you approached it looked like a giant lit-up B-2 bomber was coming.

I was wondering though, did the strobe lights in formation bother you guys?

Really exciting to see RV flyovers at these events lately.

Agreed on the impressive flyovers.... The RV guys are setting the "new normal"... When the guv shutdown is over, I bet most if not all venues will request the RV flyovers...

Makes the military look lame in comparison..

Awesome job folks! The formation even caught the attention of the normally jaded NASCAR folks on pit road. The combination of strobes and pyro in the night sky looked really cool! As you approached it looked like a giant lit-up B-2 bomber was coming.

I was wondering though, did the strobe lights in formation bother you guys?

Really exciting to see RV flyovers at these events lately.

Glad it looked like a B-2 cause thats what we actually call it.
As for the strobes, yes they are awful to fly off of and many of us have multiple sets on each side of our planes. Pupillary response in rapid succession over long periods of time (say more than one minute), are exhausting both physically and mentally. It takes discipline to maintain SA during this aerobic physical eyeball exercise and the mental gymnastics that are required to attempt to ignore them. With training and practice, you do learn to ignore them. Add to that that the pilots must look directly at them to stay in position.... WEll its work. During formation aerobatics at night, particularly in rolling maneuvers like a barrell roll, spacial disorientation can be a problem and is a concern. With practice, strobes can be learned to be ignored, like anything else. But you can not ignore the physical exhaustion from the pupillary action. Like everything we do, walk before you run. We creep up on the training over time to be able to do it. Its a good question and thanks for asking.

Back