What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Woodward governors

undefined :eek: Has anyone heard of a problem with a Woodward governor and Hartzel prop where the governor works "opposite" in pitch? The spring return on the governor is returning the prop to "course" pitch (low RPM) instead of "low" pitch (high RPM). The Woodward gov. is 210080. HELP!!!

Your governor setup as an aerobatic governor...contact a good governor shop, many Woodward's can be reconfigured.

Acro guys don't want the engine to overspeed should the control fail (and the airframes are usually high speed drag limited).

Prop Gov application

undefined :eek: Has anyone heard of a problem with a Woodward governor and Hartzel prop where the governor works "opposite" in pitch? The spring return on the governor is returning the prop to "course" pitch (low RPM) instead of "low" pitch (high RPM). The Woodward gov. is 210080. HELP!!!
It is not that it is a problem, just the Gov is for a twin engine aircraft. This Gov is for a PA23, PA23-160 Piper Apache Gov on a Lyc O-320. Of course this is a feathering / counter weight prop application. I agree a shop may be able to remove some plugs and convert it, but this is an old Gov part number and has been replaced by 210412, 210413. Good Luck George
Alex said:
I'm having trouble with this. I understand that a twin or maybe an acro plane would want the prop to feather when it fails, but why would normal singles want the prop to go fine pitch? Doesn't that just add a lot of drag at a time when you may be trying to make it to a suitable landing spot? Help me out here. Note: I have 0 hours in CS a/c. Thanks
Alex to answer your question you could have a feathering or high pitch (fail mode) prop on your RV. As an experimental you can do it, but it is going to much heavier and costly. I also guess since it is not a FAR and does cost and weigh more, the manufactures default to non-feathering props for SE planes. Are you going to be the first? Also with a single engine plane, if the engine stops turning, you are coming down anyway. The difference in drag between a feathered prop and a wind-milling prop is a lot, but you are still coming down. It could extend your glide a lot. Heck, you could "soar" like a glider with your RV feathered prop set-up. G

Last edited:
High vs low rpm in feather

I'm having trouble with this. I understand that a twin or maybe an acro plane would want the prop to feather when it fails, but why would normal singles want the prop to go fine pitch? Doesn't that just add a lot of drag at a time when you may be trying to make it to a suitable landing spot? Help me out here. Note: I have 0 hours in CS a/c. Thanks

Problem solved

George and Alex,

After spending hours with my local expert and Byam Propeller Shop, I have come to the conclusion that it is for a twin, designed to feather if pressure is lost... Now to just order a new MT governor and drop another grand. OUCH.
I appreciate your research and it proves this forum really works.
Chuck

Back