What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 8 throttle on RHS ?

rowd

I'm New Here
I have seen many examples of the throttle quad installed on the Left...just wondering if anyone (maybe a left handed person) has ever installed the controls on the right side...perhaps this has been done before so if anyone has further info it would be much appreciated

rowd said:
I have seen many examples of the throttle quad installed on the Left...just wondering if anyone (maybe a left handed person) has ever installed the controls on the right side...perhaps this has been done before so if anyone has further info it would be much appreciated

I am right handed, and normally I expect to fly with the stick in the right hand, and the throttle in the left. But, I flew the Diamond Katana quite a bit many years ago, which has the throttle in the middle, so I had the stick in the other hand. I hardly noticed the difference, and I got used to it very quickly. You will get used to having the stick in the "wrong" hand in probably less than 1/10th of the time it will take you to do the mod.

The vast majority of RV-6 drivers are right-handed, and almost all RV-6s have a centre throttle. Yet the pilots all adapt just fine to having the stick in the "wrong" hand.

Even ignoring the effect on resale value, I think you will be better off sticking with the original design. There is a huge time advantage to being able to use Van's parts, rather than having to roll your own.

Back