What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-7A N2447A Roberta Hegy

robertahegy

Moderator/Tech Counselor
My RV-7A was completed in March, 2004 and certificated the following April. I test flew "Oliver III" on April 7, 2004. Construction time was 1300 hrs over 18 months. This included painting and interior work. I did the painting and interior panels and had the seat cushions upholstered locally. Rich helped with the interior, bucked rivets, mixed paint, cleaned up after me, and did most of my chores while I kept up the building pace and worked at my full time job. The plane was completely finished prior to the first flight, minus the wheel pants. I fitted the wheel pants about half way through the 25 hr Phase I testing and painted them later that spring.

I recieved my transition training in March, 2004 with Mike Seager in Vernonia, OR. I was very ready for the first flight after spending about 7 hrs with Mike in the company RV-6A.

Oliver III is the second full size plane that I have built. The first was a SeaRey named Oliver II. Why the Oliver names? Oliver I was my pet macaw. He enjoyed flying with us in my Cherokee. We lost Oliver in late 1998, so he flies with us in spirit.

I have a strong mechanical and electrical background and have been involved in crafts all my life. Working as a mechanic, technician, and electrician for We Energies for nearly 37 years I have gained many of the skills necessary to build an airplane. I also built RC aircraft as a hobby (still do).

In 1999 the bug to build a full size plane really bit me. Rich, my husband, reluctantly let me sell our beloved Cherokee to finance building the SeaRey. It was a successful venture that resulted in an award winning airplane, but not the one I really wanted. I had always admired the RV series planes, but felt they might be more work than I cared to devote to a project. The new matched hole technology coupled with a Quick Build option seemed to be the right combination for me, especially since I had one success under my belt.The rest is history. For me, anyway.

Roberta Hegy

N2447A "Oliver III"
Ser. # 70966
0-360 A1A Lycoming
Hartzell Blended Airfoil C/S prop
Steam Gages with KMD 150, SL40, SL70, PM3000, EI gages

Oliver III does an honest 204 mph at 8000 msl at 2400 rpm with a climb rate in excess of 1800 fpm. It is the best flying, most trouble free airplane I have ever had the pleasure of owning and piloting. Not to mention the most fun!!!

done3gq1.jpg

p1200004amx4.jpg

rvgrin4of1.jpg

interior1eq4.jpg

Back