What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Contact Adhesive Removal

paul330

Well Known Member
I have been fitting the headliner and got a little enthusiastic with the spray glue and it has seeped through the fabric in a couple of places.

What's the best way to remove contact adhesive without destroying the fabric or taking the colour out?

That will be a tough one, Paul. Maybe start with some mineral spirits or naphtha. Here in the States, we have a couple of products, Goo-gone & Goof-off, that may work. I would certainly do a test before using anything.

This stuff from Spruce works well. I've only used it on hard surfaces but the description says it works on fabrics.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/pages/cs/adhesivezremovers/3madhesremov.php

It's citrus based and doesn't smell nasty...:)

3M-49048-AdhesiveRemover.jpg

A good car supply place/coachbuilders (US = upholstery shop) might also stock it.

Thanks guys.

I've found a grease/paint/glue stain remover (naphtha based). I'll try that on some scrap and see how it goes.

Thanks guys.

I've found a grease/paint/glue stain remover (naphtha based). I'll try that on some scrap and see how it goes.

I've had some good results from just dabbing "gaffa" tape on for a second and pulling straight off (a bit like hair waxing !)

obviously something to try with care - but the advantage is no solvents / residues or abrasion marks.

Tough one. Try a quick dry electronic cleaner aerosol. Spray through the front to attempt blowing the glue back. What kind of fabric?

Back