What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8A gear weldment installation problems

tonyjohnson

Well Known Member
Listers,

I am having difficulty with the installation of the main gear weldments on my 8A, and seek your advice.

I bought the project partially completed. The gear weldments are loosely in place. They cannot be fully removed because of the cap over the spar prevents them from being lifted up. The shims that are called for in the plans have been made, but not installed. There are two shims, one that goes between the main weldment and the F804A spar.

Page 30A, detail R-R shows the shim and indicates that it should be attached to the weldment with "double flush" rivets. I cannot find anything in the plans about how to do a "double flush" rivet. I coult not rivet the shim to the weldment in any case, since I cannot get the weldment out without drilling out the rivets that attach the cap across the tops of the F804A and F804B spars.

There is also apparently supposed to be a shim between the forward leg of the weldment and the F895 side pieces that mount against the skin. I did not see that shim on the plans, but I saw one on the website of an RV8A bulider, and one came with the kit from the previous builder.

The left weldment is pretty much lined up, but does not have the shims in place. The right weldment is not lined up. It needs to move outboard and down about 1/8 in.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Tony Johnson
RV8A Orlando

I've since figured it out, but at the time didn't know what "double flush" rivet meant either. So I just glued the spacer on with a little dab of RTV silicone. I'm pretty sure it's just to hold the shim in place until you get it installed. In your case it would seem you just need to slide the shim into place and line it up to get the bolt through - I don't see any reason it needs to be fixed to the weldment.

I didn't use any shims between the forward leg and the side. One side fit almost perfectly, the other had about a 1/16th gap that closed up when the bolts were tightened. In hindsight, it probably would have been better to put in a shim.

However, it probably wouldn't hurt to call Van's and check with them. They've always been very patient and helpful to me.

John Miller

Back