What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Discovered Tool Store in Dallas + Die Grinder at HF

mdredmond

Well Known Member
Got a mailer from a large Chinese import tool store whose name sounds like "Arbor Eight"...

A couple nights ago I bought a right angle die grinder from a big store that sells tools under a name that rhymes with "draftsman". It cost me $69.

So "Arbor Eight" has nearly the very same right-angle die grinder on sale right now for $14. I bought two. The only difference is that the air valve on the more expensive Draftsman model is all brass. Who cares. I think they were made in the same "we pay 80-cents-a-day" factory. The Arbor Eight model is really very nice, works great, and import-antly (pun intended) doesn't leak air.

Can't say the same for the $7.49 (also on sale) Arbor Eight straight mini die grinder. Those are going back to the store tomorrow. It would empty my air tank in 2 minutes whether running or not.

Also...

On the way to Arbor Eight in Richardson, we drove by a store called "CDC Products Surplus Store". It had signs in the window advertising "surplus aircraft tools". Too hard to resist.

Very nice selection of tools and supplies. I'd say it's 20% metal aircraft applicable and 80% machine tools. Deburring tools, countersinks, rivet sets, scotchbrite pads, wheels and disks, etc...

I like Avery and will continue to do business with them as often as possible, being that they're local and Bob is a great guy. But these guys are open on Saturday (weekday time comes at an extreme premium for me) and their prices are pretty good.

They have no web presence whatsoever, don't have computers in the store, and don't take credit cards (cash and check only).

940 E Beltline Road #172
Richardson TX 75081
Tue-Fri 10-6
Sat 10-3

On Beltline between Plano Rd and Jupiter (I think). East of Central Expy anyway...

Last edited:
Matt,

Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out when in the area. Also try Maverick tools on Harry Hines. The old Barber boat building. Lots of tools but quality of Harbor if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Bruce Pauley
VAF #582
RV 7A Emp
Kitlot
Rowlett TX

Bruce said:
Thanks for the heads up. I will check it out when in the area. Also try Maverick tools on Harry Hines. The old Barber boat building. Lots of tools but quality of Harbor if you know what I mean.

Oooh, thanks for that. The Barber boat building is 1/4 mile out of my way on the way to work. I'll be going there. That is a heavily 'ethnic' part of town (si usted saber qu? yo significar) - prices will probably be good. Ever notice that? When I buy bullion cubes or spices at the store, the VERY SAME thing costs half as much for twice as much in the 'ethnic' aisle. Go figure... Welcome to Norteam?rica.

Last edited:
mdredmond said:
snipped
Can't say the same for the $7.49 (also on sale) Arbor Eight straight mini die grinder. Those are going back to the store tomorrow. It would empty my air tank in 2 minutes whether running or not.
snipped...

Matt,
Exchange the mini die grinder at HF. I'm sure the replacement will work fine. I have a right angle import die grinder which is now 8 years old. It gets oiled and used every day. Adding oil before use is the secret to long life of air tools; that and dry air. All my die grinders are from HF. All work great.
Charlie Kuss

I've got the mini angle die grinder and it works fine.

Do we really need to add oil every time we use a tool? Seems to me that the oil daily is pointed toward those that use their tools a lot every single day. I oil mine when I think about it, and that is not every time I use it.

Last edited:
Paul Thomas said:
I've got the mini angle die grinder and it works fine.

Do we really need to add oil every time we use a tool? Seems to me that the oil daily is pointed toward those that use their tools a lot every single day. I oil mine when I think about it, and that is not every time I use it.

Once a day is good. Simply make it a habit (a good one) to oil it before first use of the day. For those of you with horizontal tanks on your air compressors, you will occasionally get water through the line. If during use of an air tool, you get water coming out of the tool, IMMEDIATELY re-oil the tool. Otherwise, the water will damage the bearings in the tool. This will cause it to fail prematurely.
Charlie

Back