What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynon Enhancements

Brantel

Well Known Member
Man those new features being introduced by Dynon make me want one each of the D100&D120 bad and I don't even have wings yet.
I can't wait to see what is out there when I get ready to buy my panel components. :D

Yeppers

I hear ya buddy!! We live in exciting times :)
I'm almost done on my wings, but will have an enforced wait while I save for the fuse (I'm building out of pocket and don't want to take on any finance). I can't wait to see what's out there when I'm ready for that part of the project!!
Cheers,

Upgraded the D-10A software today...

I saw the new HSI page in the Dynon booth as OSH this year. I finally took my laptop computer to the hangar today to put in the new software to support the HSI page on my D-10A. I have to do some major surgery on my panel to get the serial port lines from my Garmin AT SL-30 out to run to the Dynon unit to get HSI course line and glide slope data from the SL-30 and send radio frequencies from my Garmin GPS-296 to the SL-30 NAV/COM radio.

Up until now, the 296 has only been providing guidance to my wing leveler auto pilot.

Jerry K. Thorne
East Ridge, TN
RV-9A N2PZ Hobbs = 207.3 hours.

Last edited:
Totally worth the effort. I've been flying a few weeks on the Beta test version of the HSI and it's working really well. The Dynon engineers have been tireless in working through some serial-data allocation issues to make everyone (the instruments, that is) happy.

The combination of the EFIS-D100 and the EMS-D120 with the Garmin SL30 is absolutely killer. One wire from the SL30 to the D100. One wire from the GPS 396 to the EMS. (The GPS talks to the D100 through the Dynon DSAB network.) Easiest HSI installation I've ever seen.

--Marc (a veteran of a KCS-55A install!)

getting used...

Digital EFIS is great, but there is a learnig curve to it. I found the DG not very handy since I have all my primary instruments on the horizon page. It would have been better if it was superimposed on the horizon page. I use the "DG" from the GPS Avmap IV. The other thing I found with the D-10A compass is the lagging/ leading of the compass in a turn. I found this out when ATC vectored me and I was not able to get that heading since it lagged...this is also with the DG....Now is this my installation fault or is this normal?

Pete

Golly, Pete, you write as though you like your airplane. :)

I'm with you on the D-10A (with the EDC-10). The heading indication is about worthless for serious instrument flying: leads, lags, it won't calibrate out some errors, and a horizontal tape for heading is, in my not so humble opinion, goofy (so please to notice the new, improved, ersatz DG is a compass rose format). I, too, use the GPS's DG display for precise turns and heading confirmation (then there's the crosswind factor! Argh). I hope that Dynon does a better job with the D100 HSI; a fancier picture doesn't make bad information good.

What do I like? Real time TAS and density altitude. Yeah! No more cranking the OAT into the ASI, and twirling the prayer wheel for DA. (This is almost as good as real time ground speed that GPS brought to the party.) Life cycle cost of a MEMS instrument is sure to be lower than overhauling mechanical gyros liquified by vibration. And it brings a lot of information together into one box that, ahem, backs up the primary 3 1/8, instantly interpreted, clearly observable, distributed failure risk, single purpose analog guages.

John Siebold
-7 and -7
Old, blind, and I don't like TV any better in the cockpit than in the living room.

Last edited:
I was just logging on to post pictures of my upgraded D100 EFIS and D10 EMS. Check out these pictures:

Cross talk between the EFIS and the EMS

Low oil pressure warning with the EFIS displayed

Same message with the EMS info displayed on the EFIS screen.

The DG is there and working as well but since I don't have anything to drive it yet, I didn't take any pictures.

The toggle feature is very cool. One button and you can leave 2/3 of the screen on the EFIS and toggle between any of the EMS screens you want, in any order you program. Nothing, EFIS, Fuel, Timers, DG, etc.

I am so jazzed over this stuff!

EMS visibility from left seat

Hey Bill,

You're making me want to pull out the credit card AGAIN and call Dynon! I am trying to plan my panel and am thinking about the Dynon EFIS (displaying the new HSI on right third of screen tied to SL-30) then have the EMS on the right side like you have - maybe the big screen, maybe the small unit - haven't decided on that. Is it easy to read the EMS from the left seat? Also, how about viewing the Garmin 296/396 as it is placed in the panel? I worry about any difficulty reading from a side angle.

Thanks!

Come on Mike, get your wallet out. It is your job as a GFA (God Fearing American) to help the economy by spending all the money you have. ;)

Not only is the Dynon EMS easy to read from the left seat, it is easy to read standing outside the left side of the fuselage.

As for the Garmin?s viewing angle, I don't know as I haven't purchased it yet. However, I did install the AirGizmo Panel Dock with their Angle Adapter so it is tilted towards me. From what ?everyone? has been telling me, that option will be well worth the $25 it cost.

PS. If you make it up to Charlotte before you buy, stop by and I'll give you a demo.

Back