What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV9 price

iluv2fly

How much are people spending on there RV9 projects. I am going to order a slow build kit and go as basic as you can go on instruments. I was thinking I could build a very simple one for 35K if I stay basic, what does everybody think? I also have a good 0-235 with 125hp, is this a good engine or would I regret putting it on. Thanks, Jeremy

Van's cost estimator shows a low end of about 39K. That is probably doable with no paint or fancy instrumments and a used engine and prop.

My 7A QB has a nice steam panel, SL40, SL70, KMD150, PM3000, Bose X headsets, I painted it but purchased some graphics, had the seats upholstered but I did the interior, A mix of EI and Van's gages, New Lycoming 0-360 A1A, New Hartzell BA C/S prop, Vans FWF kit, I did the panel but had the avionics harness made, Whelan Strobes and Nav lites, two landing lights (Duckworks).

I used Van's cost estimator and found it to be reasonably close to my actual costs. They came out at 75K, my actual cost was 79K. I have all new equipment and am set up for cross country VFR. I could have gone IFR and 200 hp and drove the cost up to 110K or more.

These kits can, with some creativity, be built on a low budget, or go high end, or somewhere in the middle. I would think a very nice plane could be built for 40K if you do a lot of hunting and are willing to keep things very simple.

The 0-235? Why not. The performance using an engine that size seems to be very good. Not as fast as an 0-320, but 170 mph cruise? Not too shabby. My old 180 Cherokee only did about 140 mph.

Go for it.

Roberta

Median cost vs. new engine, etc....

Jeremy,

Roberta is in the ball park with new stuff. I wanted a good cross-country machine when finished with the project. I went with a new zero-time ECI Titan, 0-320-D1A 160 HP engine custom built by Penn Yan Aero. The delivered cost of the engine with freight was just over $18k. Just the kit from Van's and the engine put me in the $35k range. I also bought a Hartzell constant-speed prop via Van's for maximum performance. Including everything from tools to avionics for a basic IFR panel, only one panel-mounted radio, real airspeed, vertical speed, and altimeter guages, NavAid wing leveler, EI fuel guage, GRT engine monitor, Dynon D-10A, Garmin AT SL-30 with OBS panel indicator, Garmin GPS-196, Garmin GTX-327 transponder, the GMA-340 audio panel, and a combo CD/Tape player -- I am currently around $72,200. Out of that, the tools amount to $4,430. Since I live in a condo with a one-car garage, painting the airplane myself is out of the question. I figure that could cost me another $4,000 or so.

The Dynon and the air-operated guages give me some redundant functions, but I figured what the heck! I also got a fuel flow sensor for the Grand Rapids Technology engine monitor. That gives me two fuel monitoring methods, not to mention using the flight time, etc.

You can see everthing I have done so far online at my web site at www.n2prise.org to get the details. I am getting close to moving the project out of the garage and to the airport.

I have seen guys with full glass cockpit panels and they tip the scales toward $100k or more. Van's built some of their demo airplanes with engine monitors instead of all "steam gauges" to keep it simple, quick, and I presume lower in cost.

Jerry K. Thorne
RV-9A N2PZ

Last edited:
This is what i was thinking.
14000 for standard kit
5000 for finish kit.
2000 for prop if I go with the 0-235
5000 instruments
7000 misc items

That comes to 33k.
Crazy or what. I will also paint it myself.

RV-9 Cost

I am a two time RV Builder. The first RV-6 I built came in near 25,000. The Nine I just finished will come in about 35,000. Both were slow builds. The secret to building a good basic airplane is shopping and doing the work yourself. The biggest single cost is the engine which you already have. I used salvaged engines on both my airplanes and have been very pleased. The engine on my Nine was purchased from Wentworth for 9,000. It was a very low time clean 0320E2-C rated at 140/150HP. Tools are another thing that you can save a bundle on if you shop around. ebay has some real good deals on tools. You can save on frieght if you order a complete kit. There are many ways to be cost effective. If you would like more details you may e-mail me with private mail. RVs are fun to build and more fun to fly. Gerry Chancey, RV-9, 90638, N92GC

Having that 0-235 already really saves you a bundle. I'd say 33K is easy. Like the others said, do your shopping. It'll happen!!!

Roberta

During about 45 years of flying and 35 years of owning airplanes and not having lots of extra money floating around, I've learned that when I need to do something, with a little patience and perserverence, I usually find a way to get it done. Sometimes not as quickly as I would like, but things do get done. For me, the rewards have been worth the effort.
I like good, light and basic airplanes, but low horsepower produces high pucker factor at short or high elevation strips. Your choice of engines should be determined by the mission you have for your airplane. I've flown my
0-320 powered RV-6 from 5000' elevation strips on warm days, and would have liked a little more kick in the pants.
If you want to do it, you'll find a way to get it done. Your engine decision doesn't have to come till you are well into the project.

That is why I am a little concerned about my 0-235. I live in Idaho and the elevation at are strip is 4500ft and we land at some that are 6000-7000ft so my choice of engine scares me a little. I have found some high time 0-320's for 4-5 thousand dollars that I may use and I would go with a fixed pitch prop. I would not mind an 0-320 with 1700 hrs, if taken care of you could fly it for quite awhile. I have also thought about a 140hp 0-290, anyone have any experience with that engine. Thanks for the input from everyone, keep it coming.

Engine

When I responded to you I didn't realize you live in Idaho. Trade the 0235. You will need at least a 0320 with a climb prop probably a 77" I have flown in Colorado and I found out real quick it was a whole different ball game than were I live in Florida and the mountains of North Georgia were I spend the summer. You need to fly with someone were you live and see what equipment they are using. Gerry

iluv2fly said:
That is why I am a little concerned about my 0-235. I live in Idaho and the elevation at are strip is 4500ft and we land at some that are 6000-7000ft so my choice of engine scares me a little.

If you've been flying up in potato country very long, you know its all about density altitude and experiance in mountain flying!! I know people who fly thier C152s up there all the time, I wouldn't recommend it, but they do it. The 152 is no RV-9 when it comes to take off and climb. If you plan on flying into the church wilderness I'd think twice about your engine choices. on the other hand, if your flying the flat lands in southern Idaho, or other areas with long paved runways and such the 0-235 should be fine.

I'd have to agree on the 0-235 in high density altitude conditions as being a little anemic. A good high time first runout 0-320 would be much better. If you could scrounge for a good used Hartzell C/S prop, that would be even better. Those C/S props just make life so much easier. I never had one before my 7A and I have to say it just makes the plane so managable under all conditions. I'd never fly with out one again. If I were on a budget, I'd consider the prop and engine first, then buy what I could with what was left over.

JMHO
Roberta

Consider an O-320 ...

You can probably get a good estimate on the basic cost of doing a basic plane. You know the cost of the kit and you can limit the cost of the instruments/avionics. It is possible to go back later and add mor instruments and avionics (though somewhat of a pain). I suspect it willbe a REAL headache to go back and change out that O-235.

I would say consider trading the O-235 and getting an O320, even if you have to replace the cylinders later or even pull it and have it overhaulled. These will be MUCH easier than re-working everything from O-235 to O-320 later and I suspect that is something that you would wish you had done later.

James
RV6 with O-320 160 HP Fixed Pitch flying
RV6A with O-360/CS under consruction

RV9A with O-320 160HP ... test flying with a friend

Consider an O-290 ...

I'm expecting to spend around $40K +/- when I'm finished with my -9. That is not counting the cost of tools as I figure they won't be flying with me.

I found a good, low time O-290 that I'm toping right now. I figure that by the time time I'm finished with it, buying new mags, carb, etc. I'll have less than $7,000 in an engine with less than 750 hours TT.

The prop will be wood, not sure which one just yet. Insturments will be Dynon EFIS and Engine with a backup airspeed and Alt.

Paint for the interior seat cousions will be about it.

As for high country performance. I used to fly a 65 hp T-Craft here in the south. There was nothing like taking off w/ 2 people on a 95 degree day from a 2,000 foot field w/ trees.

Pick your days and the time of day you are going to fly.

You could always sell the O-235 or part it out and buy an O-320 with the money.

Just my $.02

BTW, when Van's came out the O-235 powered -9A I thought I would build one if they ever came out with a tail dragger. I got lucky on the O-290 and am not even thinking of the O-320 unless someone gives me one.

Fixed Pitch vs. Constant Speed Prop

Roberta was right about spending the extra bucks for the constant speed prop. I have flown in the right seat in two different RV-9A aircraft, one with a fixed pitch prop, and the other with the constant speed prop. The performance envelope with the CS prop makes it worth it. The climb and landing are much better with the CS prop. And of course the top end cruise can be optimized to the max! The CS prop on approach is like putting on the brakes to get into short fields easily. With the FP prop, a high idle will keep you floating a long way down the runway.

I considered all that when I made the decision to go FP Hartzell via Van's.

Jerry K. Thorne
www.n2prise.org
RV-9A N2PZ

Constant Speed Prop for 0-235

Does anybody know if there's a constant speed prop that will work with an O-235? It might be a way to get more performance from the engine you already have.

That is what I might do. If I go that route I will put the sparrowhawk kit on it which puts it up to 125hp. I have also been thinking about buying a franklin 0-235 which is rated at 125hp and weighs only 10lbs heavier than the continental 0-200. I also think the lycoming 0-290 at 140hp would do great. Lots of good engine choices for this plane. One thing is for sure it will be a Taildragger.

Engine

If Doug has not sold his engine, sells yours and buy his. I think you would be getting a really good engine for the 9

Back