What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

what tools to buy for fiberglass tips?

IowaRV9Dreamer

Well Known Member
I'm getting close to being done with the empennage and want to start work on the fiberglass tips. The instructions are a bit sparse and have never worked with fg before. I have a well-eqipped shop for sheet metal (Cleaveland kit + extras) but I wonder what other tools I should buy to get these tips completed. Can anyone give me a list? I couldn't find anything on the forums and the kit companies seem to be focused on the metal parts.

Thanks!

Fro your Dremel...

Dave,

I like this one for your Dremel. Make sure it's the 2 inch diameter disk.

It cuts well, and is reasonably easy to control ...

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/hou/houac3.htm

houac3.jpg

gil in Tucson

PS also works well for small alum. cuts....

You'll also need to buy another set of whatever tools (drill bits, countersink cutters, etc.) you use on the fiberglass. I didn't believe it, but after using my #40 countersinker on fiberglass it's now worthless on metal.

IowaRV9Dreamer said:
I'm getting close to being done with the empennage and want to start work on the fiberglass tips.

An alternative route, Dave, is to wait and do you fiberglass all at one time. None of the fiberglass needs to be done there until you start fitting the cowling and canopy. I've saved it all until the end and am planning to take a fiberglass class right before. The side advantage of doing it this way is that I've learned a lot about fiberglass from this forum, Sam James at Oshkosh, and elsewhere, that I would not have known had I started 1.5 years ago when I finished my emp. Good luck though on yours.

I have a handy tool for fibreglass work and use it often. An electric powerfile .
A good dose of patience also does well.

Back