What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADS-B weather radar

billnaz

Well Known Member
I just made it back from OSH. I did my part for the Wisconsin economy by purchasing a Stratus ADSB receiver for my iPad with Foreflight (had to pay state sales tax, didn't think about that). A couple of observations from someone with no inflight weather radar experience;

1. There is a big hole of no coverage in the middle of the country, which is right where most of the bad weather on my trip home was. I spent the night in Russel KS because of a big line of weather. Seeing it on the iPad wouldn't have changed that I don't think.

2. The detail of the radar received is substantially less than you see while using Foreflight on the ground. While negotiating my last leg through NM and AZ, specifically in the vicinity of Albuquerque, the picture depicted by ADSB looked way worse than the ground based radar image, with large squares of yellow and red in place of much lighter and thinner areas on the ground based presentation. If I had just relied on the ADSB data I might have scrubbed my flight again. The real conditions were closer to the ground based picture, and I encountered just scattered light rain.

My take away is that I've got a lot of learning to do in order to safely interpret what is presented by ADSB in the cabin. Still, another quantum leap in aviation technology!

2. The detail of the radar received is substantially less than you see while using Foreflight on the ground.

If I had just relied on the ADSB data I might have scrubbed my flight again. The real conditions were closer to the ground based picture, and I encountered just scattered light rain.

"Radar received airborne is substantially less": Thank you for confirming this.

I really like the AOPA FlyQ program. I've been trying both flyQ and foreflight at the same time (always above 10,000 in the airliner of course :rolleyes:). FlyQ keeps the Wx on the map long after out of wifi coverage (I like this).

Foreflight dumps quickly and just displays something about No radar.

I was amazed how the foreflight Wx was so accurate compared to FlyQ when sitting in wifi coverage. Digging into the maual... I had found two different examples of wifi vs ADSB info. Once ADSB, it appears both programs display the same "Hyper sensitve" Wx depiction.

Congrats on your new stratus... looks like a very kewl and useful tool.

Regards,

Scott

Seeing is believing

We went east of the bad stuff on Tuesday. West was showing ifr. Oshkosh to Houston, east was a piece of cake, but we found the ADSB weather to be very accurate as to the location of the bad stuff. Sorry you didn't find it too be that way. I had XM for a long while and that was awesome. Cloud cover is something I really miss. (PS traffic was serious good)

But as they say what do you want for free :)

thanks for your info

"Radar received airborne is substantially less": Thank you for confirming this.

I have ADS-B via Skyradar/iPad/WingX. The definition isn't as good as from XM, but my intention is to use in-cockpit weather for gross decision making (i.e. Continue on or stop? Can I go 50 miles in some direction and get around this stuff?), so the reduced level of detail or resolution isn't a big deal.

I have ADS-B via Skyradar/iPad/WingX. The definition isn't as good as from XM, but my intention is to use in-cockpit weather for gross decision making (i.e. Continue on or stop? Can I go 50 miles in some direction and get around this stuff?), so the reduced level of detail or resolution isn't a big deal.

Same here. Red is Red and I ain't flying into it....

I have found the ADS-B Regional Radar very usable and accurate. Not as high res as the XM but good enough for our ops. The ADS-B National Radar is definitely lower res but it does not bother me at all since I only use that for future wide area planing.

Last edited:
My recent flight gave me a much better understanding of the ADSB weather was telling me. Like many things as pilots, "gradually exploring the envelope" is a good methodology.

For me, the resolution is fine. The coloring and animation tell me the relative strength and how fast the weather is moving. Those data combined let me know if I can get around bad stuff and where there is safer weather.

I was able to grab some screen shots of both programs. This is with a Verizon internet 3G signal. Not adsb

FLYQ displays adsb Wx even with internet data.

Personally I ignore the green and the yellow is very good. Sometimes that yellow Wx is up around 16,000' while I'm at 4-9,000.

Foreflight while flying looks like FLYQ (what I'm getting from this thread). However, when getting Internet data foreflight looks amazing and is the most accurate weather representation of what I'm seeing out the canopy.

d227faef14c56320530874c43f4f363d_zps5887fef2.jpg

b9fe727b40e6c61a298e6dd2a7133877_zpsb470445f.jpg

4effb9c910f0d077d693583fa1bcf2de_zps09ee3510.jpg

Comparing the two is kinda unfair. Foreflight is great over the Internet. While flying and only receiving adsb, they look the same.

I do like that I grab the latest Wx data (verizon) after engine run up at every stop and the FLYQ program stores the data. Less then a 3 hr flight and you have very good/accurate data while saving the $700 on a adsb receiver! :eek:

To be clear, Im not knocking the receivers... I'd really like one of these adsb receivers. Xmas list item;)

I flew halfway home from Oshkosh yesterday with the new Stratus and the not yet cancelled xm weather on the 396. I lost signal on the 396 for about 20 minutes for the first time in 2 years! The weather on xm is better than stratus but I flew through light rain in Indiana with no green being shown on either screen. That being said all the serious weather shows up on both and you can still get ceilings and lots of other foreflight stuff not available on xm! I am sold on the Stratus and ready to cancel my xm weather subscription.

John Morgan

PS: You Oshkosh HBC campers drink way too much coffee!

This is very interesting. However I am wondering how the "real" ADSB-in boxes like Dynon on a Skyview (for a thousand bucks) compare to the IPad weather on the add on box.

ADSB is ADSB

{This is very interesting. However I am wondering how the "real" ADSB-in boxes like Dynon on a Skyview (for a thousand bucks) compare to the IPad weather on the add on box.}

As far as I know the data is the same, and the presentation would be a function of the display. iPad display is as good as it gets. The radar data is degraded for ADSB transmittal, so it is what it is. I still like it.

XM vs ADS-B

Having flown for years with XM weather on my 696, I compared it to ADS B on the stratus recently while flying with a friend. It convinced me to stay with the XM, even at the cost of the monthly subscription. I just didn't think the radar updates were as rapid or as good as XM. Just my opinion.

This is very interesting. However I am wondering how the "real" ADSB-in boxes like Dynon on a Skyview (for a thousand bucks) compare to the IPad weather on the add on box.

I just flew 950nm from KOSH to X35 with a Stratus 1 and Skyview with ADS-B. they both worked beautifully. They get the same data at the same interval (and NEXRAD at the same interval as XM). The Skyview must do a lot of interpolating of the data because it is a much smoother picture if NEXRAD, not boxy like Foreflight. I found that they both agreed almost perfectly and were quite adequate to pick our way through the nasty stuff en route. I miss the strikes, echo tops and a more reliable winds aloft from XM, but as long as ads-b shows what it is showing, I'll likely never have another XM subscription. I am extremely satisfied with both ads-b sources, and love the traffic as well.

XM vs iFly GPS with SkyGuard ADSB Transceiver

I've flown with XM for many years displayed on a 396. At Oshkosh this year, I purchased the SkyGuard dual band ADSB Transceiver. It displays on my iFly GPS via WiFi. I'm very impressed with the integration between the SkyGuard unit and the iFly, especially for traffic. All of the textual weather data is there, but I must admit that the radar images are a bit more choppy than with XM. That said, the information I obtain from the choppy images is really the same as what the XM is showing on the 396 (just not as pretty,,, which I expect is a function of the ADSB feed). I'm currently running both XM and ADSB for comparison. I do miss the graphical winds aloft page from XM though. The free weather info via ADSB is the same, but it's not displayed quite as nicely. Ya might have to think about it a bit rather than simply look at the pretty picture showing you the information. Not a big deal.

Timely thread - picked up an iLevel at OSH. Used it on the flight home - about 6 hours with my iFly 720. I had mediocre performance when it worked - about 1/2 way home it stopped talking with my iFly. I would often lose the image while zooming in and out, sometimes the image would have lines through it, etc. To be fair, I believe the communication issue is an iFly issue as it talked to my iPad - not sure about the sketchy display issues..? I, for one, am not even close to giving up XM on my 496. For cross country flying, at least in my early experience, I have no faith in ADS-B performance over XM. To be fair, I probably have issues - iFly, iLevel, or both. Regardless, I won't be losing the $50/month XM bill...:(

Stratus 2 and Ipad Report

I just bought a new Stratus for my flight from Maryland (KGAI) to Oshkosh and back to use with my Ipad Mini with Foreflight. It worked flawlessly from the beginning, and gave us great and useful weather information for trip. Even the traffic information was useful.

During the entire trip, only for a couple of minutes, did we not have and ADS-B signal. The unit tells you By the way, the radar picture was completely accurate. It was uncanny how we could see out of the window everything that was being displayed on the screen.

Obviously Stratus only works with Foreflight, so that might not be a solution for many of you. However, if you have an Ipad, and would like weather info and traffic, I highly recommend the Stratus. It is simple, and it works. I think this is a very good alternative to XM.

Fernando

ADSB vs. XM

I've been flying with both for a couple of years, mainly because I see too many differences between the 2. Today while coming back to Atlanta from Valdosta Georgia we were at 12,500' and could see all of the cells. It was scattered at 4500' feet and scattered again with TC's at 7500'. The TC's weren't very high and were actually dissipating in the mid teens. However, on both the XM and the ADSB they were showing up as red-centered cells (which is OK, as I certainly wasn't going to poke into any of them) but they were in DIFFERENT locations on the maps. The ADSB actually showed us going right through the center of one and we were in the clear. It was off by at least 15 miles. Now, let's not get into the age of the updates, etc. Winds at this altitude were 3 knots, so nothing was moving very fast, if at all. I also watch the shadows on the ground to see how things are moving, and there was no perceptable movement. These were just pop-up cells. The nexrad on both was reflecting 1 minute aged update.
No I don't use either for weather penetration, only for avoidance. What would have been scary would to have been IMC and deviated around the displayed ADSB cell only to fly right into it becuase it was 15 miles off. Not cool.

Vic

Now THAT is an interesting happening. Does anyone know enough about the system to make a guess of why it would be off so far?

I've been flying with both for a couple of years, mainly because I see too many differences between the 2. Today while coming back to Atlanta from Valdosta Georgia we were at 12,500' and could see all of the cells. It was scattered at 4500' feet and scattered again with TC's at 7500'. The TC's weren't very high and were actually dissipating in the mid teens. However, on both the XM and the ADSB they were showing up as red-centered cells (which is OK, as I certainly wasn't going to poke into any of them) but they were in DIFFERENT locations on the maps. The ADSB actually showed us going right through the center of one and we were in the clear. It was off by at least 15 miles. Now, let's not get into the age of the updates, etc. Winds at this altitude were 3 knots, so nothing was moving very fast, if at all. I also watch the shadows on the ground to see how things are moving, and there was no perceptable movement. These were just pop-up cells. The nexrad on both was reflecting 1 minute aged update.
No I don't use either for weather penetration, only for avoidance. What would have been scary would to have been IMC and deviated around the displayed ADSB cell only to fly right into it becuase it was 15 miles off. Not cool.

Vic

Somebody was asking how the ADS-B looks on the Dynon Skyview. Here's a photo I took while deviating north for weather near Albuquerque on Thursday. You can see the weather on my magenta line, and that's exactly what I saw out the window. The resolution is perfect for my needs and the speeds I fly at. You can also see the ABQ area traffic displayed on the Skyview. I really like that too. :)

IMG_5031_zps5371281e.jpg

Somebody was asking how the ADS-B looks on the Dynon Skyview. Here's a photo I took while deviating north for weather near Albuquerque on Thursday. You can see the weather on my magenta line, and that's exactly what I saw out the window. The resolution is perfect for my needs and the speeds I fly at. You can also see the ABQ area traffic displayed on the Skyview. I really like that too. :)

IMG_5031_zps5371281e.jpg

That's pretty sweet!! I've got the sky view but no wx/traffic info. What was the cost to add that including install?

That's pretty sweet!! I've got the sky view but no wx/traffic info. What was the cost to add that including install?

The Dynon ADSB UAT transceiver is $995 - plus an antenna, a little coax, and about a pound and a half of install. You'll also need to have a certified GPS feeding position data to the transponder to activate the uplink for traffic - weather will come automatically. Are you using the Dynon transponder?

I had a Xm/ADS-B comparison flight coming back from OSH as well. I had my Garmin 560, GDL-39 sending BT information to a Nexus 7 and a iPad 4 using Garmin Pilot. First, Xm worked continuously. The Nexus worked but neither it or the iPad using ADS-B showed one episode of light rain painted on Xm. The Nexus never showed any traffic. The iPad overheated early in the flight (IFR but fortunately had the information on the Nexus in case of a routing involving an airway or intersection) and then started working after cooling it down. The readability of the iPad was clearly less than the Nexus even after cooling it down and resetting an additional time. The iPad did show several traffic targets that never showed up with the same data going to the Nexus from the GDL-39. I checked the settings on the Nexus and the traffic info was "on".

I don't know if the display was diminished due to the heat episode. It seems fine now. It was pretty bright out at 10,000 ft above the clouds. It was in a Bonanza so it really had some shade, though.

I guess that I do not have the confidence yet to cancel my Xm subscription...

John
N222BC, RV-8

The Dynon ADSB UAT transceiver is $995 - plus an antenna, a little coax, and about a pound and a half of install. You'll also need to have a certified GPS feeding position data to the transponder to activate the uplink for traffic - weather will come automatically. Are you using the Dynon transponder?

Thanks for the help. Currently I'm using a Narco transponder so will probably stick with that until I have problems and then swap it out for the added traffic benefit of the ADSB module. I do not have a certified GPS, just a 396 and the Dynon GPS that is installed within the Skyview, that will still work for ADSB weather right?

The SV-ADSB-470 still requires install of another antenna even if you won't use the traffic feature right? What antenna did you go with? Thanks.
-Whit

Whit,
From my understanding, Using the Dynon SkyView with ADS-B Works great with the Dynon transponder. Although by 2020 you have to have a certified GPS receiver, The Dynon GPS Receiver Pucks will work fine until that time an in reality probably after but you would not be legal in 2020.

Although I am not flying my RV yet. The traffic available utilizing the Dynon transponder since it is mode S, you get TIS traffic which is available only in certain areas. This is like TCAS 1 Traffic that was available to everyone 15 years ago. However in the jets I fly we have TCAS 2 V7 and I believe that we still have to have the TCAS2 even when ADS-B becomes mandatory.

But back us in our RV's

With the Addition of the ADSB receiver from Dynon you get the ADSB traffic and will also receive the TIS Traffic. Perhaps some flying could inform us if this is true.

I think this is a win win situation for pilots. Having flown with the Stratus 1 for 2 years now in our jets. Even though we have great radar it does not show us the whole picture like the Foreflight/stratus combination. There are more ADS-B ground stations coming online every month and we notice this while flying in the Mid-West. The east and west coast are pretty well covered.
Jack

With the Addition of the ADSB receiver from Dynon you get the ADSB traffic and will also receive the TIS Traffic. Perhaps some flying could inform us if this is true.

It is true with my setup. I have the GTX-330ES/GNS-430W combo that still gives me TIS traffic and I get the ADSB traffic with the SkyRadar D2.

Today while coming back to Atlanta from Valdosta Georgia we were at 12,500' and could see all of the cells. It was scattered at 4500' feet and scattered again with TC's at 7500'. ... However, on both the XM and the ADSB they were showing up as red-centered cells (which is OK, as I certainly wasn't going to poke into any of them) but they were in DIFFERENT locations on the maps. ....The nexrad on both was reflecting 1 minute aged update.
.... What would have been scary would to have been IMC and deviated around the displayed ADSB cell only to fly right into it becuase it was 15 miles off. Not cool.

Vic

Vic, My understanding (based on listening to folks who should know) is the time stamp on the NEXRAD is the time when the composite image is broadcast, not when the various radar images were collected (which probably isn't a single time).

As to why the cells were displaying differently and were 15 miles off on the ADSB, I can't say for sure but I experienced something similar while using an iFly720 with a SkyRadar D2. Myself and one other person mentioned it on the iFly bulletin board and they checked it out. It seems there was a problem with how that unit displayed weather. Stuff that was close was pretty accurate but as you got further away, the accuracy deteriorated. To their credit, they got a fix out quickly. As fast as these units are coming on the market, its hard to imagine there are not a few bugs left in the software...YMMV.

I've done the update but have not had an opportunity to fly weather to see what the difference is. Based on what I've seen so far, I would never fly through weather based only on what I'm seeing on ADSB. It's great for seeing what's going on and avoiding the bad stuff but it sure isn't ready for going through the soup.

The SV-ADSB-470 still requires install of another antenna even if you won't use the traffic feature right? What antenna did you go with? Thanks.
-Whit

Correct - the Dynon ADSB transceiver (or realistically ANY transceiver) will require another antenna. The Dynon box can mount anywhere in the instrument bay and you run coax to the antenna, it is a 978Mhz antenna but you can use a standard 1090Mhz transponder antenna also with only a small loss in signal strength. I bought my antenna from DeltaPop but many places sell them.

Note that your existing transponder antenna and the UAT antenna will need to be at least 4' away from each other. Proximity to COM/NAV antennae are not really critical since those frequencies are quite different. My transponder antenna is in the aft belly skin and I put the UAT antenna in the forward belly skin.

Which ADSB solution

However, on both the XM and the ADSB they were showing up as red-centered cells (which is OK, as I certainly wasn't going to poke into any of them) but they were in DIFFERENT locations on the maps.Vic

Vic,
Do you mind sharing which ADSB solution you were using? Foreflight, Garmin?

Thanks

I've always thought that the ADS-B system was antiquated before it was even available. Poor bandwidth, congestion, security, weather 15 minutes late, requires new equipment, etc. Typical terrestial signal problems and if the nearest transmitter is down for maintenance, or if is connection is cut off to the rest of the world, that means no weather for you. I'll upgrade when I have to, for now a Zaon and $35/mo weather works just fine.

Last edited:
picked up an iLevel and used it on the flight home - about 6 hours with my iFly 720. I had mediocre performance when it worked - about 1/2 way home it stopped talking with my iFly.

Two experiences ...

(1) I have a GDL-39 wired to an Aera 795. It has been rock solid with consistent reception, weather updates, and inter-operability.

(2) I had a recent trip using SkyRadar with an iFly 720 (using wifi). I found the SkyRadar + iFly setup to be inconsistent and often dropped out or was missing updates for long periods.

Last edited:
Two experiences ...

(1) I have a GDL-39 wired to an Aera 795. It has been rock solid with consistent reception, weather updates, and inter-operability.

(2) I had a recent trip with a fired who was using SkyRadar with an iFly 720 (using wifi). I found the SkyRadar + iFly setup to be inconsistent and often dropped out or would missed updates for long periods.

Have had some issues since returning from OSH - flat out, the iFly would not connect to the iLevel period. After some help from their great tech support folks, I realized I did not have the latest and greatest OS on the iFly. Updated my OS last evening and immediately connected with the iLevel. Will not flight test until Friday afternoon, but I'm pretty sure my connection issue is fixed. Not sure if this, in turn, will fix some of the display issues I had as well. I hope so...

Where is the weather for each product sourced from? Are the returns base or composite? These are the two most important questions

Sorry, a little late returning to this thread to answer questions. Thanks Greg for answering re: Skyview, ADS-B, traffic, GPS and antenna topics. Everything you wrote is correct. Dynon has really good explanations of hardware requirements on their website. I couldn't be happier with this setup! I think it's very inexpensive considering the capabilities provided.

Sorry. Been a little busy and missed the questions. Yes, I understand what the timestamp is all about. And the cells weren't really moving at all. The displays are AFS-4500's and on the right screen I run the XM and on the left screen I run the Navworx ADSB-600B.

vic

As a 2 year ADS-B in/out & a 6 year WSI & TIS-A user, I feel somewhat qualified to comment on the ADS-B system, especially after a 24.5 hour flight to OSH & back to California in which the ADS-B functioned approximately 3 hours total. 1. Full implementation is behind schedule & the funds to complete are questionable. 2. I'm guessing the maker of my ADS-B equipment is pulling his hair out trying to keep up with the modifications & therefore my equipment rarely functions properly, often giving incorrect traffic indications. I have lost track of the hardware & software updates. 3. Wx & ARTCC traffic are ground based & only work in line of sight. Where do most midairs occur, low or high? 4. Air to air traffic is not mandated until 2020 & it is looking to me like it will never include 100% of aircraft. Until there is 100% air to air compliance, the current system creates a false sense of security & IMHO will result in accidents that would not have happened without it. Hopefully the statistics will prove me wrong. 5. Ever tried to get ADS-B wx in the back country?
In conclusion, who in their right mind would ever install an obsolete ground based system and call it Next Gen? Answer: Only our incompetent government. Finally, for all the people jumping on the ADS-B bandwagon, before you cancel your WSI or XM, remember what your parents taught you, there is no such thing as a free lunch. My advice: Keep your satellite wx & look outside for traffic.

If you are flying in the big hole, ADS-B is going to stink....

121wiz5.jpg

FIS-B Weather and TIS-B traffic have worked great in the area's I fly in which are covered by this chart.

I have no regrets for dumping the XM and I use my eyeballs as primary and TIS-B as a great tool for augmenting them. The weather works great for my mission and the TIS-B is simply amazing.

Does anyone have any hard data as to how the rollout of ADS-B has been effected by the sequestrations? The coverage seems to continue to be expanded. Looks to me they are still on track for getting complete "Enroute" coverage by the end of 2013.

My experience

If you are flying in the big hole, ADS-B is going to stink....

121wiz5.jpg

FIS-B Weather and TIS-B traffic have worked great in the area's I fly in which are covered by this chart.

I have no regrets for dumping the XM and I use my eyeballs as primary and TIS-B as a great tool for augmenting them. The weather works great for my mission and the TIS-B is simply amazing.

Does anyone have any hard data as to how the rollout of ADS-B has been effected by the sequestrations? The coverage seems to continue to be expanded. Looks to me they are still on track for getting complete "Enroute" coverage by the end of 2013.

I have been flying with a Navworx ADS-600B and AFS 5500/5600 since early 2012. I have been flying in and around the "hole" shown on the map and have noticed a significant increase in the installations in and around the hole. I have seen new ground stations pop up in the last few months, some of them are only giving FIS-B but some are giving both. So, needless to say, my service has been spotty most of the time, but it appears to be improving quickly so I don't know that I would buy that the system won't be completed (it's quality is another question). When I have flown recently in areas outside the "hole" the FIS-B and TIS-B have been pretty good. The TIS-B targets are where it shows them to be, so the response time must be pretty good. I have never had XM or another product so I can't compare with their service. One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that the FIS-B/Nexrad images take several minutes to load up after takeoff, so you wouldn't want to count on them for probably 10 minutes (my experience) after startup. Times may vary based on your location.

I have been getting more and more often (it was rare until recently) air-to-air TIS-B targets, which is indicated by the display of the N number of the aircraft on the screen. These can occur only if the other plane has ADS-B out and I have ADS-B in, and do not need the ground station. In fact, I spotted Rob Hickman's plane crossing near here - probably returning from OSH - and we were not in communication with a ground station at the time.

My $0.02. I really like what I have and am hopeful it will be fully implemented by sometime in 2014.

As a 2 year ADS-B in/out & a 6 year WSI & TIS-A user, I feel somewhat qualified to comment on the ADS-B system, especially after a 24.5 hour flight to OSH & back to California in which the ADS-B functioned approximately 3 hours total.

Interesting to hear this. This evening, I flew from KSMS (30m E of Columbia, SC) to KLHW (just S of Savannah, Ga). I definitely fixed my connection issue - maintained the bluetooth connection the entire time. Performance, however, is abysmal. Had a weather picture just after takeoff, then went idle pretty much the rest of the trip until almost on top of Savannah. The route I take never gets further than 35-40 miles from Columbia and Charleston, SC and Savannah, Ga. I'm at 4,500 with average terrain elevation of less than 100', and I get a few minutes of coverage from an hour flight???? Perhaps it is the iLevel, perhaps my unit. All I know is that I paid a pretty hefty amount for the unit, and it flat out does not perform. Still an XM fan all the way.

I think there is something to be said about the various performance levels people can expect out of all of the different gear showing up on the market.

We all should be careful to attach a label to the service when it very well may be our equipment or installation that is to blame for poor performance.

Not saying that is the case but it very well may be.

Manufacturers rushing to develop products for a market that is being created by government mandates all while trying to hit a moving target is bound to create some performance issues. It is my understanding that the specifications and software running these services have been developed on the fly with many revisions and all done by contractors.

Hopefully we will see nothing but improvements in coverage and reliability as the government contractors finish their job and improve the systems and the manufacturers catch up to a now slower moving target and release new firmware to improve reliability.

Come to KCUB ... I might be able to help

Interesting to hear this. This evening, I flew from KSMS (30m E of Columbia, SC) to KLHW (just S of Savannah, Ga). I definitely fixed my connection issue - maintained the bluetooth connection the entire time. Performance, however, is abysmal. Had a weather picture just after takeoff, then went idle pretty much the rest of the trip until almost on top of Savannah. The route I take never gets further than 35-40 miles from Columbia and Charleston, SC and Savannah, Ga. I'm at 4,500 with average terrain elevation of less than 100', and I get a few minutes of coverage from an hour flight???? Perhaps it is the iLevel, perhaps my unit. All I know is that I paid a pretty hefty amount for the unit, and it flat out does not perform. Still an XM fan all the way.

60av8tor ...
If you get a chance, stop by Columbia this weekend.

I did testing of the iLevil (and DUAL and SkyRadar) units connected to my GRT EFIS display AND to my iPad running WingX.

I can do a side by side comparison of your iLevil unit and others. We should be able to solve whatever is the problem during your visit.

And if there is a problem with your particular unit and mine works, I will loan you mine until the folks at Levil get yours fixed or replaced.

I have been flying with ADS-B equipment since last year and have been quite happy with the results.

I ALSO can compare it to XM in my plane. SO we can take a flight (to Savannah?) to verify that all works well.

James
803 238 2113

60av8tor ...
If you get a chance, stop by Columbia this weekend.

I did testing of the iLevil (and DUAL and SkyRadar) units connected to my GRT EFIS display AND to my iPad running WingX.

I can do a side by side comparison of your iLevil unit and others. We should be able to solve whatever is the problem during your visit.

And if there is a problem with your particular unit and mine works, I will loan you mine until the folks at Levil get yours fixed or replaced.

I have been flying with ADS-B equipment since last year and have been quite happy with the results.

I ALSO can compare it to XM in my plane. SO we can take a flight (to Savannah?) to verify that all works well.

James
803 238 2113

Now there is an offer for you. James you are the man ..... Literally, now. :D

I think Brantel is spot on. Different equipment failures may well contribute to user frustration. Then again, it may be the service. I can't say because I have not dabbled in ADS-B yet but I am watching this thread with great interest.

What say you iPad users? Are you having the same problems? Apparently not everyone is, as James states. Foreflight/iPad mini is my setup. Any ADS-B people with those combos experiencing the same issues?

Last edited:
And don't forget, when installing these recievers a good externally mounted belly antenna is required if you expect good performance. If you just throw it up on top of your dash don't expect to much.

And don't forget, when installing these recievers a good externally mounted belly antenna is required if you expect good performance. If you just throw it up on top of your dash don't expect to much.

Walt,

I was hoping to avoid mounting another antenna on the the -12 (I presently have 4 external antennas). I am running dual GRT EFIS 200SX units and have been monitoring James comments on the Dual XGPS170 system integration with the GRTs. Lacking a glare-shield, I didn't really want to place the antenna on top of the fuel tank, but installing the antenna externally would definitely clean up the installation and provide better ADS-B reception. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet, pull the tank, and work aft of the aft baggage compartment bulkhead...I am not very limber so this can become a "News at 11" event.:eek:

Last edited:

James, I really appreciate your offer. I have a prior obligation, but do thank you for such a generous offer. I have XM, so not a huge issue not having the ADS-B.

I have considered what you're talking about, Brantel - possibly some interference with the signal. I've done some trouble shooting down this road, and don't believe this to be the cause.

Walt, I have a difficult time with this statement as most of these portables are marketed to sit on the glare shield - most GDL 39 owners I know place it on the glare shield.

I'll keep any further comments to myself as to not offend anyone or spread misinformation, but for 1200 big ones, I'm a little disappointed.

Walt,

I was hoping to avoid mounting another antenna on the the -12 (I presently have 4 external antennas). I am running dual GRT EFIS 200SX units and have been monitoring James comments on the Dual XGPS170 system integration with the GRTs. Lacking a glare-shield, I didn't really want to place the antenna on top of the fuel tank, but installing the antenna externally would definitely clean up the installation and provide better ADS-B reception. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet, pull the tank, and work aft of the aft baggage compartment bulkhead...I am not very limber so this can becomes a "News at 1100" event.:eek:

DAGO,

As mentioned in another post, since I have been testing three different receivers (connected to three different GRT EFIS displays) I am willing to demo the results to you next time you are in SC.

I have DUAL XGPS170, iLevil SW and AW, Radenna SkyRadar.

For those that wonder, I have been doing this because I wanted this functionality and offered to help. No other interest in the ADS-B receiver companies other than having developed some good friendships over the last year of effort.

James, I really appreciate your offer. I have a prior obligation, but do thank you for such a generous offer. I have XM, so not a huge issue not having the ADS-B.

I have considered what you're talking about, Brantel - possibly some interference with the signal. I've done some trouble shooting down this road, and don't believe this to be the cause.

Walt, I have a difficult time with this statement as most of these portables are marketed to sit on the glare shield - most GDL 39 owners I know place it on the glare shield.

I'll keep any further comments to myself as to not offend anyone or spread misinformation, but for 1200 big ones, I'm a little disappointed.

60av8tor,

Whatever works for you, given that I am in town.

Again, for the record to all, I have had good results from the units I have. ...
So far! :)

James

DAGO,

As mentioned in another post, since I have been testing three different receivers (connected to three different GRT EFIS displays) I am willing to demo the results to you next time you are in SC.

I have DUAL XGPS170, iLevil SW and AW, Radenna SkyRadar.

For those that wonder, I have been doing this because I wanted this functionality and offered to help. No other interest in the ADS-B receiver companies other than having developed some good friendships over the last year of effort.

James,

Thanks for the offer. I need to further educate myself and also review the other ADS-B systems you are working with. Once armed with more information, I will definitely look you up for a demo of the systems.

Regards,

Dang...I see there is a SCBC at CUB on 1 Sep. Are you in town? Don't know if the -12 will be ready by then...Sensenich has my prop and I need a VFR xponder check. However, I could drive up there!

Last edited:
James,

Thanks for the offer. I need to further educate myself and also review the other ADS-B systems you are working with. Once armed with more information, I will definitely look you up for a demo of the systems.

Regards,

Dang...I see there is a SCBC at CUB on 1 Sep. Are you in town? Don't know if the -12 will be ready by then...Sensenich has my prop and I need a VFR xponder check. However, I could drive up there!

Yes,

I am in town and should be around then.
Will be glad to help.

James

This thread scares me just a bit. I hope everyone understands that NEXRAD weather and ads-b are planning and big picture aids. They should not be used to avoid convective activity while flying in actual IFR conditions. The NTSB has attributed quite a few fatal accidents to pilots who attempted this. The time delay is simply to long. Here is a link to a article on the subject.

http://www.maxtrescott.com/max_tres...eather-age-misleading-and-killing-pilots.html

George

Back