What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Alternator choice from Vans

rvator51

Well Known Member
I went to fly on Saturday morning and when I was taxiing out at 6am, the voltmeter showed 18.5 to 19.1 volts. Airplane went back to the hanger to figure out problem. I assume it is the voltage regulator or the new 35 amp Vans alternator is bad already and is overdriving the regulator. I was going to order a new VR but now am thinking about replacing the alternator with a 60 amp internally regulated alternator. Supposedly, the new 60 IR alternators from Vans are new now instead of rebuilt, and you would think they last longer than the rebuilt 60 amp alternators?
Vans also have the Plane power 60 amp alternators at $376. When I looked at the web store though, the Plane power alt was only available in boss mount, and I need a case mount so I would have to adapt it.
Which would you chose?

1. Vans 60 amp $199 New Nippon Denso alt
or
2. Vans 60 $375 Plane Power alt with overvoltage protection?

Choices

Is the regulator adjustable? The one van sells is listed as adjustable.

Obviously +18.5 volts is too much and your are risking damage of battery and electronics.

It sounds like your voltage regulator is bad, needs to be adjusted or possible you have it wired wrong? The alternator is basically wide open, making all the voltage it can.

The Plane power is a very nice unit. The new ND's van is now selling are also better than the rebuilds they use to sell in my opinion. The plane power is the deluxe solution. The new ND, internal voltage regulate, is good, and the economy path is just fix what you got. I am leaning to the latter.

I'm all for the internally regulated alternators and not a big fan of the 35 amp set up Van sells, but it works and is plenty for day VFR. I think the little 35 amp ND you now have is a little weak if you have a big instrument panel and lots of night lights (multi strobes and large landing lights), in my opinion. However it does work and you already have it set up, so it makes sense to stay with it for now. It does sound like a simple problem.

I would look into staying with what you have for now and fix the regulator/wiring? BTW make sure you put some cooling air on the back end of the 35 amp alternator, especially of you are not using the fan on the front as Van sells them. If you decide to go new ND with I-VR its really a matter of money. The plane power is better and a good value IMHO. The ND is also a good value but not as "custom" and does not have the extra OV protection.

Last edited:
gmcjetpilot said:
Is the regulator adjustable? The one van sells is listed as adjustable.
Obviously +18.5 volts is too much and your are risking damage of battery and electronics.
It sounds like your voltage regulator is bad, needs to be adjusted or possible you have it wired wrong? The alternator is basically wide open, making all the voltage it can.
Hi George,

Yes this VR is adjustable and its been on the plane since 1989. I have adjusted it in the past to 14.2 for our Odyssey battery we put on the firewall of our rv-4. I didn't try to readjust it since I figured that going from 14.2 to 19 volts in between flights meant something had gone bad.

I am thinking about the 60 amp alternator because I got in on the seat heater group buy and want to install them before this winter.

Also, being on my third 35 amp alternator, I just am not too comfortable flying cross country anymore with the current alternator and want something more reliable.

I see

rvator51 said:
Hi George,

Yes this VR is adjustable and its been on the plane since 1989. I have adjusted it in the past to 14.2 for our Odyssey battery we put on the firewall of our rv-4. I didn't try to readjust it since I figured that going from 14.2 to 19 volts in between flights meant something had gone bad.

I am thinking about the 60 amp alternator because I got in on the seat heater group buy and want to install them before this winter.

Also, being on my third 35 amp alternator, I just am not too comfortable flying cross country anymore with the current alternator and want something more reliable.
Got it. Sure why would it just change. May be bad. You could try a $9.00 fixed Ford (solid state) regulator. BTW the document I have for the Odyssey is 14.3 volts min for full charge. Yea if you got some high drain stuff, it sounds like time for an upgrade. Van's price on the plane power is a good price. May be going to PP direct they will credit you for the lower bracket? All the best

gmcjetpilot said:
You could try a $9.00 fixed Ford (solid state) regulator. BTW the document I have for the Odyssey is 14.3 volts min for full charge.
Hi George,
I think I will install a new regulator temporarilly since we want to fly to San Diego for the long labor day weekend coming up. What should I ask for at the parts counter for the fixed Ford regulator (year/model or part number?)
Thanks for the 14.3 number, I had it in my head that 14.2 was the magic number.

What should I ask for at the parts counter for the fixed Ford regulator (year/model or part number?)

Since September 1999 I've used a 1975 Ford LTD (most of the mid-70's Ford regulators are the same) with Vans's 35A alternator. The regulator is cheap, reliable, works fine with RG batteries and is readily available on the road.

VR166 is one number you can use but its easier to just ask the counter dude for a 1975 Ford LTD unit. You can find the wiring hookup on the AeroElectric site.

Sam Buchanan said:
Since September 1999 I've used a 1975 Ford LTD (most of the mid-70's Ford regulators are the same) with Vans's 35A alternator. The regulator is cheap, reliable, works fine with RG batteries and is readily available on the road.

VR166 is one number you can use but its easier to just ask the counter dude for a 1975 Ford LTD unit. You can find the wiring hookup on the AeroElectric site.
Thanks, Sam
I went to Autozone today at lunch and got one. The cross reference number was a Wells VR-749. Price had went up to $13.99.

"Been there ... done that too"

rvator51 said:
I went to fly on Saturday morning and when I was taxiing out at 6am, the voltmeter showed 18.5 to 19.1 volts. Airplane went back to the hanger to figure out problem. I assume it is the voltage regulator or the new 35 amp Vans alternator is bad already and is overdriving the regulator. I was going to order a new VR but now am thinking about replacing the alternator with a 60 amp internally regulated alternator. Supposedly, the new 60 IR alternators from Vans are new now instead of rebuilt, and you would think they last longer than the rebuilt 60 amp alternators?
Vans also have the Plane power 60 amp alternators at $376. When I looked at the web store though, the Plane power alt was only available in boss mount, and I need a case mount so I would have to adapt it.
Which would you chose?

1. Vans 60 amp $199 New Nippon Denso alt
or
2. Vans 60 $375 Plane Power alt with overvoltage protection?
I originally installe dthe Van's 35A alternator on our 6. Didn't really like the fact that I got "low voltage" when all the lights were on and I was coming in to land late. It eventually died (or something) and was replaced. ALso the the original (anodized) bracket broke. I replaced the 35 with another 35 but evntually realized I **really** did not like the fact that I was getting "low voltage" with the load I want to have ON. So I replaced it with Van's 55A (or is it 60?).

Well a few days ago, I got the voltage going way north of 14.2 during runup. Turned around and put it in the hangar. Eventually convinced myself to order the regulator from Van's (The alternator I **think** is the replacement from Advance Auto was $125 but the regulator for same was $180!!! <go figure>). The regulator from Van's was <$50. I order it overnight delivery, it arrives, it looks good but when I went to put it on, it did not exact FIT!! <<BUMMER>> I think I had one of the earlier reconditioned alternators and I suspect teh regulators are for the "new" ones. Just speculation on my part. I fyou held the two units in your hand you would THINK it would fit but there was some slight difference in the plastic molding on the bottom that kept it from not fitting. I probably should have gone to a local ALternatot Shop and got the thing fixed (I plan to do that now) but what I **DID** do is just order the Ven's Deluxe (Plane Power) alternator.

Quick review....

The include all the mounting stuff and it **FITS!!!**. I mean the brackets fit just perfectly and all the stuff you need is there.

Nice workmanship

It **seems** (so far) to work rock solid.

The one thing that bugged me a *little* (and they make this clear) ... they send you belt for a 9+" pulley and tell you if you have a 7+" pulley what model to go an get. Guess which pulley I have. :) Clearly not their fault. I also probably could have kept the belt that I had but I decided to put on the one they sent (remove prop) and THEN I realized it was too big and I need to run to NAPA.

The connector is DIFFERENT so you have to either splice in their wire or run it all the way to where you need to go. The good news is they provide PLENTY of length of wire.

It has built in (actually ON the back) overvoltage protection!! (Yeah!!! this is what started all this effort).

It has a line to connect to a "big red light" for low voltage. I ran the wire to the cockpit but no light yet as I have provision for that already via another sensor.

Summary: I decided to bite the bullet and go with the "deluxe" model. I plan to get the Van's 55 fixed (regulator replaced) and sell it. If anyone needs a regulator for a "newer" Van's 55A, I have one.

James

Plane power is looking better

jclark said:
Summary: I decided to bite the bullet and go with the "deluxe" model. I plan to get the Van's 55 fixed (regulator replaced) and sell it. If anyone needs a regulator for a "newer" Van's 55A, I have one.

James
Hi James,
Thanks for the reply. I also know several friends who have had to replace their alternators as well. Maybe we all are doing something wrong. I did put the fan back on my 35 amp alternator the last time I replaced it, figuring that even if it runs backwards, it has to be moving some air and helping the cooling. So far so good, but since I do a lot of cross country, I want to make sure I have a reliable setup on the plane.
This time I am not blaming the alternator since the regulator looks like it failed and its old and probably well past its prime.

I upgraded from Van's 35 amp to one for an '87 (?) Suzuki Samurai a couple of months ago. About 60 amp output as I recall, internally regulated. Piece of cake!! And I can turn all the switches on now with no low voltage alarms. Cost me somthing like $150-160 at O'Reilly.

Back