What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bahamas Adds new airport taxes for private pilots $50 in and $50 out

turbo

Well Known Member
The Bahamas government effective July 1, 2013 has instituted new aviation taxes: $50 in and $50 out for private aircraft and $75 in and $75 out for commercial operators.

This is in addition to the passenger departure tax of $25 which also applies to the crew - the only island nation that applies departure tax to crew members.

So now your day trip to Bimini with three passengers in your C172 begins with a $200 bill before you even begin spending your tourism dollars. The Bahamas reaps millions in tourism dollars from private aviation. These new taxes will certainly discourage many pilots from visiting the Bahamas and will result in a net loss of revenue for the government.

I am trying to determine if this $100 fee applies to technical fuel stops as well? Unfortunately, the two customs offices with whom I spoke this evening had still not received a directive on the the increases.

More later as we receive the official notifications.

I received this notice as well.
If this holds true, I will never go back there. They are killing GA tourism.
It's been bad enough with all their other taxes and fees; resort tax, activities fees, energy surcharge...

Turbo you're correct. It would cost my wife and I $150 before we even get started with food, hotel, transportation & other activities & expenses.
Key West & Marathon are becoming much more affordable and you don't need to bother with EAPIS, DHS or customs.

I suspect it will be charged for even a technical stop. I made a technical stop in the Bahamas on a boat because of a engine failure and bad weather. Spent one night there before leaving for FL. Total customs charges were 350.00 dollars to stop and get the engine looked at by a mechanic.

George

Sad to hear since I have a trip planned for August.
The Bahamas have always been very GA friendly. I wonder what happened.

somebody needed a $1 million or 2

...no doubt the beancounters looked at the GA visits last year, multiplied by $100, and went, 'wow, easiest million ever!' those rich little guys will never notice!

so, an island tries to screw people who visit by boat AND aircraft. Hmmm....what, exactly, is left????

too bad they have their heads so far up their...sandboxes....they will never notice we are NOT there this year, until it's too late!

Maybe you can talk to them at Oshkosh?

The Bahamians have previously had a big and friendly presence in the Federal Pavillion at Oshkosh. I'm not sure if they will be there this year (many/most/all? US agencies have had to pull out and Canada pulled out last year) but the federal agency committee chair is a Bahamian, so they are likely to be there if anyone is. If so, you can go by and talk (nicely!) with some of the agency bigwigs and let them know your opinion. (They are really nice and friendly guys, so please be nice!)

Bahamas Fees clarified

As just reported by Caribbean Flying Adventures, http://www.CaribbeanFlyingAdventures.com
The Customs officials who reported the fees to me were confused.  The new tax for private aircraft is $50, not $100, and it does apply to fuel stops!
The Bahamas government effective July 1, 2013 instituted new aviation taxes: $50 in and $0 out for private aircraft and $75 in and $75 out for commercial operators. This tax, labled a "processing fee" for General Declaration forms, also applies for technical fuel stops. That's $50 for a fuel stop! Departure taxes do no apply for a fuel stop, although I received reports this year of some Out Island customs officers charging the fee.

Still too high IMHO, especially if you're only going for the weekend as many Floridians do.

Moderators, please bump to the top

Last edited:
Bummer

This is really unfortunate. I did an island hopping Bahamas trip in late April/early May. If this new Fee system had been in effect then, it would probably have added $350 or so to the trip. I thought the islands were sparsely populated by tourists back then -- in-season -- and this will just result in fewer visitors. It's a shame. Such beautiful islands but hideously expensive.

Do something!

So where do I go to complain? Given enough incentive the bureaucrats may relent. There must be some on-line site that you can register your complaint and tell them you won't be back until they remove the onerous fees.

I'm answering my own question...

Want to complain? Go HERE. It only takes a minute.

Direct your comments to the Ministry of Tourism and Aviation.

Want to complain? Go HERE. It only takes a minute.

Direct your comments to the Ministry of Tourism and Aviation.

Thanks Smokey,

I just sent a note letting the know I spent my first "landing fee tax" to join the Baja Bush Pilot Association and that I intend to explore Mexico and CA, not the Bahamas. I'm more of a tequila kind of guy that rum, anyway.

from the source

jpeg

A number of you have asked for email addresses so you can express your dissatisfaction directly to officials in the Bahamas. Here are a few:

Minister of Transport and Aviation, Glenys Hanna-Martin: [email protected]
Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Transport and Aviation Lorrain Armbrister : [email protected]
Ministry of Tourism The Hon. Obediah H. Wilchcombe: [email protected]
Permanent Secretary Ministry of Finance David Davis: [email protected]
Prime Minister and Minister of Finance The Rt. Hon. Perry Gladstone Christie: [email protected]
Permanent Secretary Ministry of Tourism Patricia Rogers: [email protected]

Just to make it easy, here is the complete string: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

The more the merrier. I think we have a shot at reversing this decision. And word just received that the taxes on aviation fuel have also be raised so expect higher fuel prices as well.

Regards, Jim Parker

Without getting into politics, am I the only one who continues to be amazed that service providers (Governments) never seem to learn that increasing taxes is the surest way to reduce or kill that industry/activity?

Didn't we all learn the basics of supply/demand and the concepts of "product substitution" pretty early on in school?

Since the link Ron provided did not work, I went straight to the Bahamas.com website and checked. They still show no Fees.

What fees can I expect?
?Landing fees are waived for single engine aircraft at all government-owned airports.
?Twins pay a small fee from $4 to $15.
?Private airports may charge landing/parking fees, usually $4 to $15.
?The FBOs in Nassau and Freeport may charge ramp fees as well.
?All persons pay a $20 departure tax, including pilot and co-pilot.

Are there any overtime fees?
There are no overtime fees for private, non-commercial aircraft.

What about experimental aircraft?
A Standardized Validation has been approved for experimental aircrafts, for the purpose of operating the United States or Canada?registered amateur-built aircraft in Bahamian airspace. Please call The Bahamas Tourist Office 1-800-327-7678 for a copy of the approval.

That is straight off their website. I thought I would include the paragraph about experimental aircraft.

Ed,
Where did you see the new fees?

Since the link Ron provided did not work, I went straight to the Bahamas.com website and checked. They still show no Fees.

What fees can I expect?
?Landing fees are waived for single engine aircraft at all government-owned airports.

A Standardized Validation has been approved for experimental aircrafts, for the purpose of operating the United States or Canada?registered amateur-built aircraft in Bahamian airspace. Please call The Bahamas Tourist Office 1-800-327-7678 for a copy of the approval.

That is straight off their website. I thought I would include the paragraph about experimental aircraft.

Ed,
Where did you see the new fees?

http://www.aopa.org/News-and-Video/All-News/2013/July/2/new-bahamas-fees-update.aspx

So where do I go to complain? Given enough incentive the bureaucrats may relent. There must be some on-line site that you can register your complaint and tell them you won't be back until they remove the onerous fees.

This is from Caribbean Flying Adventures website, Jim Parker.

www.CaribbeanFlyingAdventures.com
For Immediate Release
Not Happy with the Bahamas new airport taxes?
Send a message to the Bahamas

A number of you have asked for email addresses so you can express your dissatisfaction directly to officials in the Bahamas. Here are a few:

Minister of Transport and Aviation, Glenys Hanna-Martin: [email protected]
Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Transport and Aviation Lorrain Armbrister : [email protected]
Ministry of Tourism The Hon. Obediah H. Wilchcombe: [email protected]
Permanent Secretary Ministry of Finance David Davis: [email protected]
Prime Minister and Minister of Finance The Rt. Hon. Perry Gladstone Christie: [email protected]
Permanent Secretary Ministry of Tourism Patricia Rogers: [email protected]

Just to make it easy, here is the complete string: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

The more the merrier. I think we have a shot at reversing this decision. And word just received that the taxes on aviation fuel have also be raised so expect higher fuel prices as well.

Regards, Jim Parker

Fees

What fees can I expect?

I flew to most of the Bahama islands a couple of months ago: Marsh Harbor, N. Eleuthera, Hawk's Nest, Exuma Int., Staniel Cay, Great Inagua, Stella Maris. I did not go into Freeport or Nassau. There were no landing fees at any airport I went to. The only fee was $25 per person departure fee when leaving the Bahamas. I was not charged any other fee -- parking, ramp, handling, etc. I did top off with fuel at each airport. I think at N. Eleuthera they waived a ramp fee if you got gas. I always landed during working hours so overtime fees were not an issue.

You can download a standard validation for experimentals from the AOPA website. I had that but no one ever asked for it.

I flew through the Bahamas 6 or 7 years ago enroute to Puerto Rico, and found that once I got to the southern islands that no one responded on the published flight service frequencies. The customs facilities I visited were also in a rather primitive state. My overall impression is that general aviation facilities are poorly funded there, not terribly surprising given that the Bahamas are a rather poor country with no income or sales taxes (in fact they're famous as a tax haven for this reason).

I don't know if the new fees are justified or not, but it seems possible they're just trying to recoup the actual costs of providing customs services the only way they can. I would not cancel a trip there simply because of an extra $50 or $100 fee.

I would not cancel a trip there simply because of an extra $50 or $100 fee.

Perhaps I misunderstood but what I gathered here was every landing, even for fuel, was $50. I am okay with a $50 or even $100 *one time* tax entering the country. Personally, I think the money would be better spent on local goods and services but that's just my opinion.

Without getting into politics, am I the only one who continues to be amazed that service providers (Governments) never seem to learn that increasing taxes is the surest way to reduce or kill that industry/activity?

Didn't we all learn the basics of supply/demand and the concepts of "product substitution" pretty early on in school?

I continue to be amazed that opinions continue to prevail over historical observations, but then I'm an engineer.

Perhaps I misunderstood but what I gathered here was every landing, even for fuel, was $50. I am okay with a $50 or even $100 *one time* tax entering the country. Personally, I think the money would be better spent on local goods and services but that's just my opinion.

My understanding is that the fees would be once per entry/departure, not every landing during the time you're there. However could be I've got this wrong?

Not saying I like the fees or that they're a good idea. Just that its a different situation there than it would be in the U.S.

Back