What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin antenna on top of roll bar.

Steve Sampson

Well Known Member
I plan to put the little Garmin antenna on top of the roll bar. It should have a pretty good view of the sky up there! Has anyone here experience of doing that.

I need to drill the roll bar before I get it powder coated.

My questions are these:

If I drill a hole between the two main bolts in the roll bar will I then have a clear path for a wire run to the top?

I will drill a similar size hole in the top.

Any suggestions as to how to attach the antenna to the rolll bar. I dont have one to look at.

What size holes do I need to thread things through.

Thanks.

I think you'll have a clear shot through the roll bar. I used a Garmin 10 Bluetooth receiver, that was velcroed to the top of my roll bar. It was a velcro strip that wrapped around the apex of the roll bar and around the gps unit itself. This is THE best antenna location. You'll be pleased.

One of my flying buddies has his there. As for the hole for the antenna lead, I believe I cut and reattached a BNC connector to mine when I installied it. This would let you use a 3/16" dia hole or so.

I put mine on top of the instrument panel. Very close to the instrument stack and out of the way. Never had problem with reception.

I double sticky taped my GPS antenna to the top of the roll bar in my -4 and it works great. It's a Lowrance 2000c but that shouldn't matter. Also I did put one zip lock tie around it for insurance.

I had to take off the mount base for enough clearance. Be sure to sit in the back seat and temporarily hold the antenna in place with a spacer the thickness of the double sticky tape. On mine it had to be a bit off side to the right of the plane in order to miss the canopy latching rod. It is a close fit but it should work. I have since found a permanent double sticky tape for carpet by Scotch that is a lot thinner than the foam tape. The foam tape is probably one 1/8" to 3/16" thick, while this carpet tape is probably less than 1/16" thick and about $8 for a role that is probably more tape than you will ever need.

My GPS is mounted near the fuel tank selector valve. The antenna wire just barely reaches going down the outside of the roll bar. Does anyone know how to increase the length of the Lowrance 2000c antenna wire?

Tom

You're going to make a good RV guy ;)

BrickPilot said:
I was thinking about doing something like this, but in the fuse skin aft of the canopy. Pretty good view of the sky there from all angles (except inverted!)

See the stars...

Steve,
My GPS antenna is on top of the fuselage underneath the aft canopy above my baggage compartment. Works very well there but.....the Harmon Rocket I am restoring has it underneath the cowling on top of a .032 plate centered 3 inches forward of the firewall. Works very well and is invisible unless you pull the cowling. He also glassed the comm antenna inside one of the gear leg fairings, another cool idea I wish I had thought of...all antennas hidden with no reception difficulties..

gotta like it.

Rob Ray

GPS Antenna

My GX65 antenna is mounted on top and works great. I can send you a photo if you want.

I also have a 296 that I mounted the small square antenna on the canopy crossbar behind the front seat. I just made a small "L" bracket with velcro on both the antenna and bracket and installed it with a couple of #6 screws/nuts on the forward right outside edge, out of the way and it picks up as good as my permanent mount GX65 Antenna on top of the rollbar.

Steve
RV-4 250 hours and still smiling...............<:

Last edited:
Good Idea....

It could work attached to the mount, although vibration could be an issue. In the Rocket it is mounted on a .032 plate attached to the firewall and sits 1" below the top cowling, 4" from the firewall. The Rockets Transponder antenna is in the wingtip and works well. The GPS should work there too although the cowling is alot closer.
The Bandit's is mounted on the turtledeck underneath the aft canopy, 1400 hours with no worries. Here are pics of both...

Rob Ray

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
Rocket

my.php
[/URL][/IMG]
Bandit

Last edited:
Back