What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Which Primer?....and builder log?.....

So the RV8 empennage kit has arrived and we plan to go to a construction class next week. That said, I would like to decide on a primer to use and after several hours searching through threads, I can't seem to find a concensus. Any opinions?

While I'm asking new builder questions.....which online log do most builders prefer? kitlog or expercraft?

Thanks!

Eric

So the RV8 empennage kit has arrived and we plan to go to a construction class next week. That said, I would like to decide on a primer to use and after several hours searching through threads, I can't seem to find a concensus. Any opinions?

incoming.jpg

On a serious note, I zinc chromated the empennage as it's the only place that can't really be inspected once it's built. My only after thought/concern is how much weight it added to the tail for CG purposes. Everything else is self etching rattle can primer on places where there is metal to metal contact (i.e. rivet lines on fuselage skins). Wings were QB and not primed.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Eric

You got it! Opinions abound, consensus is elusive. If your plane is going to live in Denver, there is probably no need for any primer. That said, I used the tinted version of the stuff Vans uses; mostly because I am a belt & suspenders guy.

Jim Berry
RV-10

I am really happy with the Akzo-Nobel epoxy primer from Aircraft Spruce.

Positives:
Bullet proof -- impervious to just about everything. Easy to apply. Dries quick. Nice milspec green color.

Negatives:
30 minute induction time. Get a good mask -- fumes are nasty. Price. Need to have an HVLP spray gun, and you have to clean up after every session.

I went through 2 gallons and primed everything. I'm now just finishing up the plane and didn't want to buy another whole gallon, so I'm using the Napa 7220 self etching primer spray cans. I think I'm on my third can. It's OK stuff if you let it harden up for several days, but it is still easily removed with acetone and other solvents.

I'm with Bruce on the Azko.

I started out with the Stewart Systems waterbourne primer and its easy to use, but its not very durable. I did my entire empennage using their primer.

The Azko is nasty stuff but its rock hard afterwards. I swtiched to the Akzo when I started my wings. I'm about halfway through my 2 gallons and I'm priming everything. I didn't want to spend the cash initially, but looking back I wish I would have spend the $ in the beginning.

Consensus Achieved

I am really happy with the Akzo-Nobel epoxy primer from Aircraft Spruce.

I'll second that (or third). if you're going to prime, this is a good way to do it.

I did my emp and wings with a single two-gallon kit.

I'll second that (or third). if you're going to prime, this is a good way to do it.

I did my emp and wings with a single two-gallon kit.

Same here with Akzo, with the same comments as above. The 30 min induction time makes it annoying for small batches of parts (or a single part) but the results are very good.

primer war

Interesting.
No one mentioned Sherwin Williams P60 G2 even though it's the primer used on QB parts. It's on the primer list in the construction manual.
I like the stuff. It's tough. You have to rub hard with thinner to remove it. It's easy to buy at the local SW paint store. It goes on very thin and drys to the touch in a few minutes. It's also green. Small amounts are no problem. I use syringes to measure it and disposable paint cups with a Devilbiss HVLP to shoot it. I did buy a good respirator but shoot in an open shop. The 3M disposable cups have a filter so no need to filter. Clean up is a breeze. Just run some lacquer thinner through the gun and toss the cup. I also use Aerogreen 4110 to clean. It's a new environmentally safe wash prep. Easy to mix and use.

Shell shocked

Kitlog and Stewart Systems (smoke grey) .. that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

Self hosted Wordpress blog, and I've been using smoke grey Stewart Systems also... but I'm using SEM in rattle cans for small jobs and touch-ups.

I use Kitlog but there hasn't been a single update in the 5 years since I bought it. Improvements promised but never delivered.

Primers...consider this. Every rivet hole exposes the Al alloy to corrosion. Priming won't help that, unless you rivet with wet primer. So regardless of what primer you use, all aircraft, especially those not based in a dry climate year-round, should be treated after construction and painting to an anti-corrosion misting like ACF-50 or Corrosion-X.

Last edited:
catalized primer

If I have a fair bit of primer unused I just put it in a glass jar, seal it and put it in the freezer.
I then put it back in the spray pot, let it warm up a few minutes and spray.
I have stored primer like that for close to a month without adverse effects.
That said...primer is heavy....weigh a gallon kit some day...I just primed where I had metal to metal contact and wherever I disturbed the cladding inside.
Outside a thin translucent coat of etch primer and color coat...paint holds well after 17 years in the sun and snow.

weight

The original question asked about primer weight. I use Sherwin Williams and weighed a few parts before and after. It was not very scientific. I used my electronic gram scale. The average was just under 1% gain in weight. I shoot pretty thin.

PreKote - AKZO - Kitlog

The title sums it up. Folks who tell you no primer required obviously have not encountered corrosion **YET**. My wing kit arrived september of 2012. While working on the ailerons I noticed that the aileron skins (2024 alclad)are starting to grow some white-powdery corrosion in climate controlled storage. AKZO is pretty much bullet proof even to MEK. It will bond to glass & doesn't come off period!!! I dimple after priming and have never removed a flake of primer. One Happy guy here! With proper application techniques, primer should come in between 10-20 lbs.

Last edited:
Back