What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aux fuel pump mounting

Paul B

I would like a fuel injected engine on my RV-9. I am at the point where Van's instructions tell me to make the fuel pump mounting plate/doubler and rivet it to the firewall. This plate fits the Facet 40108 pump. Is this pump suitable for Airflow Performance fuel injection? If not, will a suitable pump fit on this plate as described by Vans? Can I wait until I have the aux pump in my hand (probably much later in the build) before I install a mounting plate or is it better to do this now, like the instructions say? Thanks for any response!

Paul---the 40108 pump is for carbed engines. With injection you need to use a higher pressure boost pump like the AirFlow Performance, EFII, or the Andair.
I personally havent seen anyone mount (and adapt) those pumps to mount on the firewall doubler that you mention (in the stock Facet location), but that doesnt mean it can't be done.
Tom

If you're still going to use the standard engine-driven fuel pump and just need the one high-pressure boost pump, I would put it in the center tunnel between the seats just forward of the fuel selector, there is just enough room there for one of the standard AFP pumps.

1000117j.jpg

If you happen to decide to ditch the engine-driven fuel pump and go with dual electrics as some have done, you can send the pumps to AFP (or order them this way) and they can remove the check valve and filters from the assembly. You'll have to fab a new mount plate (see my website) and stretch the boost pump housing, but you can fit two of them side by side in there with the check valves and filters placed on the forward side of the main spar carry-thru or in the wingroot area.

1000327e.jpg

Last edited:
Back