What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New! Challenger Permanent Oil Filter CP48110C - SOLD

dmattmul

Well Known Member
Challenger Permanent Oil Filter CP48110C is a direct replacement for Champion CH48110-1.

Includes additional core and 4 gaskets.

New condition, never used.

$ 250.00 plus shipping

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-29 125310.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-29 125310.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2024-04-29 125235.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-29 125235.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 35
  • Screenshot 2024-04-29 125207.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-29 125207.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 44
  • Screenshot 2024-04-29 125138.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-29 125138.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot 2024-04-29 125112.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-04-29 125112.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 41
You guys crack me up, as i ponder the market value of my (recently friking installed) challenger, to be removed & replaced next oil change if not sooner.

You guys crack me up, as i ponder the market value of my (recently friking installed) challenger, to be removed & replaced next oil change if not sooner.
Removed mine today,12 months in use. Great paper weight now.

I dunno...wrap it in some blinky lights, add some digital readouts, and voila - it's a flux capacitor for the baggage compartment.

It'd probably work better in that application than it does as a filter. :sneaky:

IMG_5044 (1).jpeg

I’m not giving up mine anytime soon regardless of filter testing. I totally respect all the work that went into that and generally agree. The standard filters on my engine however always caused such a mess cause they are so big and not easy too work around and get a plastic bag around the bottom. 2 oil changes on this one and not one drop of spilled oil. With fairly frequent 50 hr oil changes and at every annual my oil is staying petty clean.
Don’t disagree with the standard paper filters, this just works better for me (for now). If I can find a paper filter this small I would consider switching back.

I’m not giving up mine anytime soon regardless of filter testing. I totally respect all the work that went into that and generally agree. The standard filters on my engine however always caused such a mess cause they are so big and not easy too work around and get a plastic bag around the bottom. 2 oil changes on this one and not one drop of spilled oil. With fairly frequent 50 hr oil changes and at every annual my oil is staying petty clean.
Don’t disagree with the standard paper filters, this just works better for me (for now). If I can find a paper filter this small I would consider switching back.
Just as a data point, the Wix 51348 (equivalent to the K&N HP-1002) that I moved back to is pretty darn close to the same size as my S-15.

Just for comparison...

IMG_20240503_082421877.jpg

The big filter is the same size as the 1515 from the "filter test", the 1068 is often used as a "shortie" 1515 (I've been running them for years) and the little 1042 is what I ran on the 540 for break in and a few oil changes after. It's very short, and hardly bigger around than the sealing surface of the adapter.

Not an endorsement! Just a data point

Just for comparison...

View attachment 62031

The big filter is the same size as the 1515 from the "filter test", the 1068 is often used as a "shortie" 1515 (I've been running them for years) and the little 1042 is what I ran on the 540 for break in and a few oil changes after. It's very short, and hardly bigger around than the sealing surface of the adapter.

Not an endorsement! Just a data point
You think the small 1042 would provide adequate filtering for an IO-360?

My spin on Challenger filter has the built in spin on nipple. If I were to switch to one of these paper filters where would I find a really nice nipple (other than an obvious place). 😊

I am pulling my Challenger out and going with a spin on type filter. I am strongly considering a Donaldson p551132, it is not one of the tested filter but the spec look promising.

I'd suggest starting 2/3 of the way down on page 6 in the other thread, https://vansairforce.net/threads/filter-test-results.226033/page-6. No sense duplicating threads about nipple sourcing.
This thread is in classified section and has a short life span. Nothing wrong with posting duplicate information here to help others in getting needed information.

If you have a Tempest filter, get two 3/4-16 jamb nuts and remove the nipple from it. It has a nice shoulder that locates the nipple in the adapter.

nipp.JPG

You think the small 1042 would provide adequate filtering for an IO-360?
Without a detailed test like the other thread, the following is just an educated guess:

the filter media is likely to be the same as the other Wix line - but because there is less of it, the rate of debris accumulation means it’s going to bypass before the other filters with more media. Up to that point though, I’d expect that it will perform the same. Essentially, you are accepting less bypass margin with this small filter. I have not looked at the burst pressure specs nor the bypass pressure…. I was using this thing from a less educated stance than I have now. But I can say with certainty that I never had any known failures for the time it was on my 540.

Without a detailed test like the other thread, the following is just an educated guess:

the filter media is likely to be the same as the other Wix line - but because there is less of it, the rate of debris accumulation means it’s going to bypass before the other filters with more media. Up to that point though, I’d expect that it will perform the same. Essentially, you are accepting less bypass margin with this small filter. I have not looked at the burst pressure specs nor the bypass pressure…. I was using this thing from a less educated stance than I have now. But I can say with certainty that I never had any known failures for the time it was on my 540.

I would agree with Mike's assessment. Given you're replacing a K&P/Challenger, both of which (compared to a 51515) clogged in 1/7 the time while only catching the big stuff...well, I sure wouldn't worry about the smaller media area of a Wix 51042 - Napa 1042. And it's also available in synthetic media, the 51042XP version.

Note this one is a 13/16 thread. We've looked at other small filters too, other thread

Average Efficiency.jpg
Wix 1042.jpg

My spin on Challenger filter has the built in spin on nipple. If I were to switch to one of these paper filters where would I find a really nice nipple (other than an obvious place). 😊
Since this is a 13/16 thread, grab a Champion filter out of the trash next time you are at the airport and harvest the nipple from that.

Back