What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 2.7.2024 (w/Off Topic)

Eighth day in a row of ground school / sims on the BE300 (hopeful side job work downstream). Brain kinda mush, but things are starting to stick in my Mk1 pink matter. Very different plane than I'm used to. Still in and out of comm, mostly out, for the next week. Apologies. I only have so much brain and free time.
v/r,dr

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
---------------------------------------------

Riveting fiberglass to metal (video) and Articles on Flying RVs by Richard VanGrunsven
Link added to 'The VAF List'

'What did you do with your RV this weekend (Feb 3-4, 2024)?
Finished painting the upper cowling, canopy skirt, wing tips and vertical. Started the cut and buff process on the fuselage. The paint looked pretty good but wanted to make it look better. I used the Dan H sticky as my guide. I used 1500, 3000, 5000 wet sand then 3M 36060 compound. It’s a messy job but what a difference it makes.
VAFDR_ 204 Feb. 06.jpg

Canopy Doghouse to Slider Seal
Basically, the turbulent airflow in that area is blowing forward. Like a pickup truck on the highway with the back window open. The doghouse covers the slider track but since the track is T shaped, no matter how well you get the doghouse to fit, the open areas under the cross bar of the T are going to be open for a draft of air to blow forward into the aft cockpit.
The idea is for the white delrin block to sit on the track and do a better job of plugging up that hole. Because the canopy skirt pops up when open the block cant just be attached to the skirt. When you open the canopy, the aft frame slide pushes the block aft with it, and the lanyard is to pull it back into position when you close that canopy again.
Here's a picture of mine when I was working on the skirts. Fiberglass skirt, but the same idea as the aluminum doghouse. I'm still under construction and don't have a lanyard installed yet but without it, when I open the canopy, it pushes that block aft on the slider track where it would just stay forever because there's nothing to pull its back forward when you close the canopy.
The lanyard is just a piece of fishing line/fine wire/whatever works with one end attach to the block and the other end attached to the canopy frame to pull it back forward with the canopy.
Yeah, that drawing sucks. The thing you're interpreting as a hook it just meant to show a loose line.
VAFDR_ 199 Feb. 06.jpg

'First few flights questions
I now have four flights and about three hours on my RV-14A.
She is going to be a great airplane, already flies really well, and I am quite impressed with the smoothness of the IO-390 engine.
Couple questions for the group.
Oil Pleasure. At anything other than idle the oil pressure is firmly in the green (72 psi), but at low idle it is dropping barely into the red range (48 psi). Do I need to increase the idle pressure?
Also, I have not been able to find a manifold pressure range for the instrument. What is everyone using for green/yellow/red.

Show us your panel ...ERJDriver
First power up!
VAFDR_ 200 Feb. 06.jpg

Flap motor alignment? Bind?
Question on the flap motor alignment. The lower part is not centered in the flap bar weldment (bottom arrow). Up top, my question is, how tight should the rotation be once the bolt is tightened? Mine is pretty stiff . I just want to make sure it’s not putting undue side load on the motor. Also the hole in the rounded angle wasn’t 100% in line with the outside 1/4 inch hole but it was fine before riveting. Any insight would be helpful. I guess the fix would be drilling out the rounded angle and remaking it.
VAFDR_ 201 Feb. 06.jpg

Airtex E2315 Fuel Pump
I wanted to update this thread. The E2315 fuel pump used in the legacy vans fuel system proved impossible to obtain. There is no direct replacement for that pump. The DELPHI FD0011 pump suggested in this thread is exactly the same except it moves one fitting about half an inch. It is overall a better pump. The difference required redoing a hard fuel line. Rather than do that we ordered flexible fuel lines from TS flight line. Once again I can’t say enough good about their service. We replaced all 3 lines for a very reasonable price with his braided Teflon lines. The new pump works perfectly. The failure in the 2315 was fuel starting to leak from the end cap on the pump creating a fuel smell in the cockpit when the boost pump was running. The pump was about 18 years old. I suspect as more of these pumps age others will see a similar failure. Despite the leak being very minimal the fuel smell was strong. If you experience a fuel smell with the boost pump running here is where to look.
VAFDR_ 202 Feb. 06.jpg

Cause for one cylinder to suddenly increase EGT over several flights
I have an IO-360B2B with a Bendix RSA-5AD1 servo with a SDS SDI ignition on the upper plugs and Slick traditional mag firing bottom plugs. I just completed my condition inspection (CI) in December where I had replaced the upper NGK BR8ES solid 3961 plugs, cleaned and re-gapped the lower plugs, and removed and cleaned all the full injectors in Hoppes. In the flights since my CI, Cylinder #3's EGT has increased about 80-100 degrees from where it has been for the last 1000 hrs. No other symptoms as engine runs smooth just like it always has. The higher EGTs in Cyl #3 started first flight after CI only showing hotter when I leaned. I have tried swapping the #1 & #3 EGT probes, re-cleaning the #3 injector, and swapping the #1 and #3 injector with no change. Actually #3 is now hotter than the rest of the cylinders by 50-60 degrees at any time above 50% power, no matter the mixture. I am in the process of swapping the #1 and #3 EGT lead to my JPI EDM-700 to see if it is a wiring issue or something else instrumentation related. Next things to try are removing and checking the plugs, doing a borescope on Cylinder #3 (although all looked good a few hours ago at the CI), and inflight mag checks. Any other thoughts on what to try?

OFF TOPIC:
VAFDR_ 205 Feb. 06.jpg

Last edited:
Management at my work place began tracking our Velociraptor free time a few years ago so we are now
25,915,000,926 as of today.

Back