What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

The VAF News 2.27.2024

VAF POSTS & RV NEWS THAT CAUGHT MY EYE.....dr:
—————————————————————————
Update: Leak Found …bedecker.
Update 2/26/2024 -- Leak Found.
We carefully inspected the fuselage along its entire length, specifically following the discoloration from the exhaust stream. The spaces between the flanges along the bottom of the F-01412A&B bulkheads where they attach to the F-01479 are open; the exhaust stream makes a 180° turn into the area between the rudder and fuse at this location (evidenced by combustion residue on the VS-410PP rudder bottom hinge bracket). The lower-than-ambient air pressure in the cabin "sucks in" the exhaust gas and into the cabin.
Also, CO levels were verified with portable CO detector. The response time of the Aithre 3.0 was a bit slower than the portable unit, but within a 1ppm or so when stabilized.
Taping over the gaps in the F-01412A&B flange resolved the CO issue. Will slather some neutral cure RTV or Proseal in the gaps as a permanent fix.
Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 4.48.37 PM.png

Panel Upgrade: RV-3 …franks
I have started a panel upgrade and complete wiring update. I will be installing an AFS 4500s with full EFIS and engine monitor functionality. Trig TT22 and MGL V6 Comm. A few pictures of the progress are attached.
Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 4.50.03 PM.png

Propeller Clocking …johnpaul44
We recently added a 20lb crush plate to my price p tip propeller in addition we reset the clocking so the propeller is at 2-8 when #1 is at TDC. We also balanced the prop and its holding .03 ips through the entire rev range . Feels so smooth at 2500 rpm.
The issue: when pulling power back from about 1900 rpm to 1600 rpm there is a pronounced vibration or shake of the airframe. It's not severe but you feel it and it wasn't there before.
Thinking about moving the propeller back to 3-9 (horizontal clocking #1 tdc) what should o do?
Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 4.51.13 PM.png

RV-4 Fastback Update …clambake
Finally got the wings off, will be trailering it over to it's new temporary home hopefully this week. Also decided to get a new panel blank and rearrange a bunch of things. There were a few choices over the years on switches and instrument placement that I just didn't like. Not finished with the design yet because I need to measure a bunch of things, but it's close and the ergonomics and control flow should be much better. Panel will be one of the last things I do so there's no rush, I was just bored.
Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 4.54.44 PM.png

OFF TOPIC:
Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 4.55.39 PM.png

PS: Older issues of the ‘VAF News’ can be found at:

Back