home on the runway

For you guys that are now ready to relocate to Texas, we have our daughters three bedroom two bath home on our private 3800 ft. grass strip including about 20 acres and ownership with my wife and I to the runway in central Texas ( Waco area ) for sale. See it on our website: mikeanderson.us

Mike A. said:
For you guys that are now ready to relocate to Texas, we have our daughters three bedroom two bath home on our private 3800 ft. grass strip including about 20 acres and ownership with my wife and I to the runway in central Texas ( Waco area ) for sale. See it on our website: mikeanderson.us

I understand that bringing up kids is hard, but please reconsider selling the daughters with the property. They're just going through a phase and things will get better.

Oh wait, I get it... :D

Don't mess with Texas!

Only been to Texas once, luckily I had my passport so they let me in... :D

My only question to all you Texan RV jockeys is;
don't them big 'ol belt buckles just throw them little RV's right over gross weight???

Hey, who am I to throw stones, I'm stuck in Los Angeles. You want to talk traffic and politics!

"Ya! Kalifonyas Greaat! Ha! Ha! I'm up fo re-electen. Vote fur Arnold!"

Mike.....

I'd just like to know how a mountain lion ended up walking around in the middle of the static display at the recent fly-in? :D

Nice photoshop work by somebody! I am a Texan (live 90-miles north of you), and also an avid hunter. I've never seen a moutain lion anywhere near Waco or the surrounding areas, muchless at an airshow :p

BTW, if I could convince my wife to move to your area, I'd go with the house + 20-acres option! Nice deal! I can live anywhere with my job, just as long as I can get to a major airport easily/frequently. It would be worth the drive to DFW if I could just convince mama.

Take care,

Don't Mess With Texas - Clarification

I am sure a lot of you know this but in my travels around the country I have found that many view the "Don't Mess With Texas" slogan as an arrogant challenge to anyone who might consider putting down Texans. In reality it started out as a litter campaign and has since made its way to bumper stickers, circulated aroung the nation, and the rest is history as they say.

So remember that not all Texans ride horses, carry six-shooters, and are bad-arse bubbas, we just want to keep our state clean.

On the other hand, "Don't Screw With Texas Either!" ;)

Tom Maxwell said:
...snip...So remember that not all Texans ride horses, carry six-shooters, and are bad-arse bubbas, we just want to keep our state clean. On the other hand, "Don't Screw With Texas Either!" ;)
LOL, Tom! :)

I have really enjoyed this thread. It reminded me of several reasons I love living here. After giving it a little thought I find I fit the mold of the 'mythical Texan'.
  1. I own, and occasionally wear to work, cowboy boots.
  2. I drive a Ford pickup truck
  3. I own firearms (one is a 5-shooter - a .44 'make my day' magnum).
  4. My mother and father owned horses and I always enjoyed riding them.
  5. Favorite pants: blue jeans
  6. Pocket knife on me at all times (except commercial flights ;) )
  7. Own a couple of acoustic guitars.
  8. When I wake up I have 'big hair'.
  9. Was on the FFA parlimentary procedure debate team in high school - my symbol was corn. Not making this up...:eek:
  10. Have an airplane (wait, wrong list...)

Last edited:
Texas Rules!

I too live at Kestrel Airpark, north of S.A. The best value in airparks in Texas, 1/3 the price of Dallas and 1/5th the price of Breakaway. And we have gas.

We finished our new house here in Feb and I couldn't be happier. Except for the fact that I now see airplanes everyday, and mine is not finished yet. :mad:

If money is no object or limitation, then I would recommend Breakaway in Austin. Austin has much more to offer than S.A. and much less headaches than Dallas. IMHO of course.

Another Potential Future Texan Webfoot Convert

I have been following this thread with great interest as I have been seriously contemplating this very question as of late. I am a 6th generation Oregonian living in Portland and there are many good reasons to stay here like: sweet job, social and family ties, beautiful house etc. There are other nice things like being a member of the Home Wing (EAA 105) which is a great chapter with some very interesting members. Lest I forget the awesome natural beauty of this region and the best summers on the planet. Oh, and I don't have to pay shipping for my RV kits. The list goes on...

However, come 'round october the sky turns dark and low and the good weather doesn't come back consistently until some time well into June. And don't even start about the politics in The Peoples Rebublic of Portland. This town has really turned into a Mecca for every low-life scumbag this side of the Mississippi (not to disrespect all of the good people that you will also find here). Objectively, the cost of living is only moderately higher than the average when all things are considered, but still relatively high for a town of this size.

From my perspective, Texas seems attractive for several reasons. The prospect of more VFR weather and a million airports to fly to is a big one. The DFW area with its big airport is attractive to me for other reasons. My wife's family is from France. Being able to catch a direct flight to Paris (not the one in Texas) for visits with the family is very attractive, especially considering the three ankle-biters that we take along for such trips. DFW, with its central location, could also potentially serve as a launching point for my work as a consultant. We would certainly come out way ahead in terms of relative real estate costs. Another plus is that I really enjoy exclaiming "Yee Haww!!!" at the top of my lungs and that just doesn't fly here. And apparently the people are very friendly there.

There are a few points of concern. Number one, we have three little ones (3+ years, 2- years, and 7 weeks) and I am not too anxious to uproot the home that we have established. If the move is to made, I would want to do it before the oldest one is 7 years or so. There are some really excellent schools in our immediate neighborhood (we live in a pocket with good schools while most of P-town has pathetically bad schools). To those of you in the NW DFW suburb area: are you satisfied with the schools there? Is this area "family friendly"? Any experience with uprooting a family with similar description?

It goes without saying that there is a lot of uncertainty in such a move, still I find myself attracted to TX. In about two years from now, with the proper maneuvering, there is the possibility that I could make the move. From DR's last post, it sounds like I would fit in pretty well there (I too have 'big hair' when I wake up). Anyways, sorry to drag on, but these are the thoughts that I have been having lately. Keep telling us about life there, at least I can dream and scheme for now.

Tejas

Righty said:
... And don't even start about the politics in The Peoples Rebublic of Portland. This town has really turned into a Mecca for every low-life scumbag this side of the Mississippi (not to disrespect all of the good people that you will also find here). ...
No problem with that in Texas - it's totally run by large corporations. You won't even need to bother voting. :)

Another advantage of Texas that I didn't see mentioned - you get lots of opportunities to practice your high school Spanish.

rv8ch said:
No problem with that in Texas - it's totally run by large corporations. You won't even need to bother voting. :)

Another advantage of Texas that I didn't see mentioned - you get lots of opportunities to practice your high school Spanish.

I guess all the people who know Texas best must live in.... Switzerland? :rolleyes:

I thank God for the conservative politics of Texas. Too bad we don't have an ocean that Austin can fall into during the next earthquake. :D

Weather

Weather is the top reason I like Texas. I grew up in a small town in South Dakota and I recall, like yesterday, the dreary winters and waking up depressed and staying that way all day long. Sunshine is a key component of good health and Texas has a lot of it. In this regard our good neighbors to the west in New Mexico, Arizona, and California have lots of sun also, but typically without the humidity that most of Texas is cursed with.

Coming to Texas was really wierd for us as it took a great deal of time to get used to the summer months being the worst months of the year. Up north everyone looks forward to June, July, and August, down here summers are just darn hot. You will get somewhat used to it after 5 or so years but those first few summers will be murder for you. I have visited a few guys working on RVs in their non-airconditioned garages when the outside air temperature is 98 degrees and the dew point is 97 degrees and I don't see how they do it. It must be 105 in the garage with a heat index around 112 or so. These guys are in there drenched with sweat pounding away. Certainly better men than I. I know that temps in Arizona regularly make it into the 100's and sometimes average above 110, but that is a dry heat - right guys.

Along these same lines, if you have young'uns the heat and humidity makes it hard on them. Growing up in the north I remember spending sun up to sun down outdoors. Down here (at least in Houston with its high humidity) summers are pretty miserable and kids don't play out as much as we did up north. They spend a lot of time at the subdivision pools but playing outside in the yard is pretty limited. So be prepared to find indoor methods to entertain your kiddos. The soft grasses of the north cannot live in the heat down here so we plant a weed called St Augustine grass. It is a very tough grass that can handle the heat, but it has a very rough texture so it isn't very nice for the kiddos to roll around on. If your kids are used to playing out on the lawn all day long they will be disappointed with the grass down here. On a lighter note, we at least have grass in the Eastern half of Texas. Far West Texas and our good friends in New Mexico and Arizona don't even try. Their lawns are comprised of white decorative rock gardens and a few cacti.

Politics are interesting in Texas and yes we are a very conservative state. But I think we are getting more liberal every day. We have a strange state legislature that can't get their heads out of you know where and make some decisions on school funding. Right now schools are predominantly funded by local property taxes and most school districts have reached the cap rate set by law. So the only way school districts have to raise additional revenues is to sell bonds or encourage people to buy more lottery tickets. This funding system results in very poor districts and very rich districts dependent upon the structure of their tax base. The rural districts in which the tax base is comprised predominantly of farms and ranch land tend to be poor where as those districts near oil refineries and affluent business areas tend to be rich districts. Hence the constant court battles over unfair funding. You would think that only the poor districts would be screaming but the rich districts are screaming just as loudly. This is partially because they came up with a plan called "Robin Hood" in which the state takes money away from the rich districts and gives it to the poorer districts. I guess districts all believe that funding should be a state level responsibility instead of a local level issue. Actually, I think they all just want someone else to blame for the problems. We all know money fixes all problems (yeah right) so if the state is responsible for funding, the districts can always point to the state as the problem. Anyway, in my opinion, we have a weeney state legislature who won't take responsibility for doing things that need to be done. Instead they engage in party bickering until the legislative session expires and then everything important ends up in the courts.

We have not so good school districts and we have some really great school districts and we have school districts that are on the rise and some on the decline just like any other state. In our district alone, we are building on average 6 new schools per year and hiring 800 additional teachers each year. It is really kind of wild. Not all districts are growing this rapidly but many are. You need to look closely at the area you are considering and thoroughly and objectively check out the districts in that area. Most people don't want to believe that they live in a mediocre school district so if asked they will probably say, "Oh my kiddo's school is great," or "Yeah the school district is pretty good." It's all a relative thing, right? It is hard to compare a district in Texas to one in Oregon. There is some objective data on some web sites such as www.just4kids.org. There you can choose a city, district, and even a particular school and see how it compares to the top 10 schools with similar demographics and then with all schools overall. It will also show you the demographic breakdown of each school and the percentage of students on free or reduced lunch (not necessarily a bad thing as this effects funding) and the state test results in each subject area. It is a pretty good and objective site. Anecdotally, I followed my kids education in Texas and compared it to the education my nieces and nephews were getting in South Dakota. Generally, I think education in Texas is far superior to South Dakota. But then again, I think South Dakota is ranked at the bottom of the list in teacher salaries. Anyway, beware and shop around. I will warn you that Texas is a very diverse state and getting more diverse every day. When I grew up in the north we had 1 black student in my high school class. In Texas we have a large number of students from every ethnicity you can think of. I think it is great and my kids grew up with it and are very accepting of others as a result. I am being a realist when I say this but if you have issues with this sort of thing, first, get over it :), second, Texas may not be the place for you.

As far as the tongue-in-cheek comment about being able to practice your Spanish, yes it is true. Texas has a very large hispanic population and it is growing very rapidly. Realistically a number of these folks coming from Mexico are not well educated but most of them work very hard. Helping their children learn the value of education and keeping them on track is a challenge but we are making progress each day. Many young hispanics have the perception that doing yard work or cleaning homes and having lots of children equates to being successful. And I am not saying these are bad things but just that it creates challenges in trying to motivate them to achieve in school. This influx of hispanics does create challenges and some feel threatened by the changes, but I don't necessarily view these challenges as a bad thing. We all know that Americans are pathetic when it comes to speaking multiple languages. If these changes will help turn this trend around then I think it is a good thing. In the not to distant future, WASPs will become the minority in this country and (IMO) it is time we all start learning a second or third language. Our kiddos will need these language skills if they are to function in our global society. (OK I'll get off the soap box now).

So yeah, come on down. Texas is a great place to live and growing like a newborn long-horn calf (Hook em Horns -- Yeee Hawwww) We have a lot of issues and problems just like everyone else but overall the climate (both weather and social) is great and there are buttloads of opportunities here. Houston has become a great cosmopolitan city with a great zoo, ballet, orchestra, museums, and broadway theater - not to mention the world's biggest rodeo and the world's worst NFL team (sorry). Dallas, Austin, and San Antonio have similar offerings and yet each has a very unique atmosphere to it. There is always something to do in Texas and it is a great place to expose your children to a lot of different things including a very diverse population. Being a Texan just has a certain stigma (good) about it and everywhere I travel people view Texas with awe and are always curious about us cowboys and oil tycoons. Besides, what other state and city so willingly throws open its doors to help out a quarter of a million neighbors in need? I think this one act says a lot about the Houston and Texas characters.

So hitch up the covered wagon and hit the Oregon trail going South East. The great state of Texas will welcome you with open arms. "Head em up, move em out, raaaaaaaw hiiiiiiiiiiiide"

Gary Bricker RV7a

Someone mentioned Granbury, TX. I have lived here 12 years at Pecan Plantation. Everyone has mentioned the weather and a few other things. I will address the things about Granbury I don't like. The taxes are high for what we get. The schools are average. The traffic is bad. The county and city are anti industry. They want tourist dollars only. It reminds me of New Orleans. Pecan Plantation has a great airpark. (the only reason I am here). Eaa 983 is an outstanding chapter with great people and lots of builders. Pecan Plantation owners association has no love for the airpark. We fight for the few crums we get from the dues. If you are a country club and golf person you are in. If you are airpark GET Out.

Mike A. said:

Isn't that close to Crawford, i.e. TFR-ville for large chunks of the year?

rv8ch said:

I guess you aren't aware that we get to plenty of practice with our Spanish right here in Oregon, just like most of the country will be doing more and more of in the future. I have no problem with this, I already speak English and French fluently and I would embrace the opportunity to learn another language. Diversity is one of the things that makes this country the greatest.

And as for voting, they love it so much here in Oregon that our Secretary of State thinks that everyone should be able to vote; even felons, dead people, labrador retrievers, and those that are not here legally:)

Tom, thanks for the thoughtful and objective reply. You have confirmed many of my impressions about Texas and educated me on things I did not know. The diversity thing sounds like another plus that I was not aware of.

Houston - hurricanes?

Tom -

Being essentially right on the coast, does Houston have to deal with hurricanes?

- D

Texas experts

Highflight said:
I guess all the people who know Texas best must live in.... Switzerland? :rolleyes:
Everyone aspires to live in Texas, only a few (million) lucky people get the privilege! :) I know it's changed a lot since I lived there, but when you grow up somewhere you do tend to get to know it.

Highflight said:
I thank God for the conservative politics of Texas. Too bad we don't have an ocean that Austin can fall into during the next earthquake. :D
Head on down south a bit, I think you'll find a pretty good-sized body of water there. Might not exactly be called an ocean, but it's big enough to swallow up little ol' Austin. ;)

I always find it kind of interesting that when Texans outside Austin talk about "Austin", it usually takes me a while to figure out what they are talking about. When I think of Austin, I think of the city, and the people that live there. Pretty much everyone else thinks of the seat of the state government. Not at all the same thing.

BTW, just for the record, without question, no debate needed, the Austin area is the best place in Texas. Period. Case closed. Put it in the bank. Close this thread.

Dgamble said:
Tom -

Being essentially right on the coast, does Houston have to deal with hurricanes?

- D

Yes, but only a few times every season :D ....raises the pucker factor quite a bit! When Rita came in this year, I had the brand new airplane a week away from it's DAR inspection sitting in the hanagr - ready to fly away, but not legal. We were looking down the throat of a Cat 4 storm, and if it had hit us square on - there wouldn't have been much left - just take a look at Cameron La. Unfortunately for them, it turned away from Houston and came right through there at the last minute.

But never fear, Houston has an evacuation plan! :confused: It only took three days to get 2.7 million people out of harms way. Of course, most people spent 24 hours on the highway! :eek:

I was "lucky" - I had to stay behind for rescue duty, and didn't suffer thourgh the Evac...

Paul

Hurricanes

Dgamble said:
Tom -

- D

Well yes, sort of. Houston (proper) is not really on the coast. It is about 50 miles from Galveston. I live Northwest of Houston which takes me another 15 or so miles away from the coast.

With that said, the ocean coast is not the only area that is threatened with hurricanes. The entire Galveston Bay coastline is in the floodplane and most of the areas between Houston proper and Galveston as well as areas further east and west are low lying areas subject to flooding as well. We tend to talk about Houston as one big city but like most metropolitan areas Houston encompasses about 3000 square miles and includes hundreds of surrounding communities. It is one of those situations in which a severe weather warning issued to the area may be right on top of you or you may be sitting under blue skies and drought conditions. It just depends.

Rita was pretty scarey. Had it hit, yes Houston would have been in bad shape. Especially those 2.5 million people stuck on the freeway system. So we do take some chances and with the polar ice cap melting and global warming it only appears that the odds of taking a hard hit are increasing. But you pay your money and take your chances. Unless we take a direct cat 4/5 hit I am not too worried where I live. If Galveston takes a direct cat 3 or below, I will probably not feel much over 60 or 70 mph winds. I think the wind typically blows this hard on a daily basis in Wyoming and I remember some blizzards in South Dakota with winds in excess of 60 mph. But again, folks around the bay and in low lying areas, like Paul, are much more prone to problems.

Incidentally, I think I mentioned Friendswood and Pearland to the gentlemen thinking of coming to work in the medical center area. Both of these areas are nice areas but they are low lying and will flood with heavy rains or hurricanes.

So in answer to your question, yes it is a risk. But I view it in the same way that earthquakes are a risk in beautiful California and you folks up NW have Mt St. Helen to worry about. We have tornado alley in the midwest and of course the East coast (Florida in particular) certainly faces a much higher risk of hurricanes than we do in Texas. If Hurricanes are a show stopper for you, then Dallas, Austin, or San Antonio are probably better alternatives.

I will go out on a a limb and say that if you live inside loop 610, due north in The Woodlands or Conroe, NW along 290 or even west along I10 in Katy you are reasonably safe from hurricanes. Even then safety is not guranteed. Even in these areas you need to be careful because we have a phenomena around here called Bayous (pronouced Bye-oos) that are really just big drainage ditches. When we get one of our monsoons (sp) they tend to overflow and flood low lying areas around them. Choose your location carefully.

Texas, yellow roses and some thorns

One thing that I didn't notice being discussed is allergies. In my experience, it's not a small fraction of people moving to Texas that end up having allergy problems. The nicest part of Texas(tm), the Hill Country, has alot of local bugs, with a major culprit being known as "Cedar Fever" (a winter allergy). There are things you can do to mitigate - stay away from cedars (which can be as common as weeds, and are actually Junipers), bathe alot, stay indoor during season, have HEPA filters on the A/C, take drugs, etc.

These allergies are not all immediately apparent, it sometimes takes years. I've known more than a few families who have had to abandon TX after a member would became near-debilated (either from the allergy or the treatments) for a couple of months each year.

If anyone in your family is particularly sensitive to allergens, something to consider and research. It would be best to consult with a medical expert in TX in that case (they can test for like 20 or 30 allergies now).

The farther west you go in Texas, I think the better it gets (more desert). A couple of my friends who had problems swear by New Mexico and Arizona.

Or maybe they get better..

One thing that I didn't notice being discussed is allergies. In my experience, it's not a small fraction of people moving to Texas that end up having allergy problems. The nicest part of Texas(tm), the Hill Country, has alot of local bugs, with a major culprit being known as "Cedar Fever" (a winter allergy). There are things you can do to mitigate - stay away from cedars (which can be as common as weeds, and are actually Junipers), bathe alot, stay indoor during season, have HEPA filters on the A/C, take drugs, etc.

These allergies are not all immediately apparent, it sometimes takes years. I've known more than a few families who have had to abandon TX after a member would became near-debilated (either from the allergy or the treatments) for a couple of months each year.

If anyone in your family is particularly sensitive to allergens, something to consider and research. It would be best to consult with a medical expert in TX in that case (they can test for like 20 or 30 allergies now).

The farther west you go in Texas, I think the better it gets (more desert). A couple of my friends who had problems swear by New Mexico and Arizona.

I grew up along the west coast, mostly Ca. Bay Area but Oregon and western WA too. Always had allergies, hay fever etc, sometimes severe. When I moved to TX (Dallas area) in '82, I was expecting the worst but found that whatever flipped my allergy switch on the coast wasn't a problem here at all. Whenever I go back, they pick up again. Different stuff, I guess, whatever you are sensitized to is what does it.

TX is a nice place to be. Expected to stay for 2yrs on a contract. Been here about 26. Raised two smart, successful kids. Its getting more expensive but what isn't?

Texas and ****

The reconstruction governor of Texas, General Philip Sheridan said, "If I owned Texas and ****, I'd rent out Texas and live in ****."

That's because Texas is HOT! I've lived here all my life and I have never gotten used to it. It helps living west of I35, where the humidity is lower. Remember, in Texas air conditioning is not a luxury. It is (quite literally) a life-safety issue.

Actually, Texas is really a nice place to live. If I was just moving here, I'd look at Weatherford, Aledo, Burleson, Cleburne and South Fort Worth. Granbury's a good option, too. If you want better (that is, cooler) summer weather, go to Amarillo, or the Davis Mountains (Marfa, Alpine). For scenery, go the the Hill Country.

I live in south Fort Worth, next to Sycamore airport (9F9). It's not an airpark, but I live where I can take my golf cart out the back, and be on the airport, where I pay $105 a month for an open hangar. I paid about $140,000.00 for a nice home there, and there are several others available for even lower prices. It's in the Crowley School District which is supposed to be very good (I don't have kids, so I don't really know). I like south Fort Worth, because it doesn't have all of the traffic problems you run into on the north side of town, where Hicks Field is.

On a personal level, I'd say stay away from Dallas. I lived there 20 years, and I was happy to get away.

Texas is the second largest state in the nation both in terms of geographical area, and population. Whatever you might want, you can find here, both good and bad. It's a big aviation state, especially Fort Worth, and the city has a big RV community with lots of airports.

I really don't see how I could ever move away from the great Mexican food we have here.

If you're really interested, come for a visit.