Instrument proficiency

While it is true that an instrument flight test can not be conducted in a GPS only aircraft. You can do all the flight test up to the ILS,VOR and NDB approaches then use another aircraft.
That being stated there is nothing in the regulations that prevent you from maintaining IFR proficiency.

Part 61 states
(1) Use of an airplane, powered-lift, helicopter, or airship for maintaining instrument experience. Within the 6 calendar months preceding the month of the flight, that person performed and logged at least the following tasks and iterations in an airplane, powered-lift, helicopter, or airship, as appropriate, for the instrument rating privileges to be maintained in actual weather conditions, or under simulated conditions using a view-limiting device that involves having performed the following?

(i) Six instrument approaches.

(ii) Holding procedures and tasks.

(iii) Intercepting and tracking courses through the use of navigational electronic systems.

Those 6 approaches can be any combination GPS approaches.the holding can be done at any intersection even a fix on a GPS approach it does not specify a published holding pattern it is not like the old days when you had to shoot different types of approaches and have 6 hours.
The interception and tracking a course also can be a GPS derived course. Such as taking off And the intercepting your course line enroute. Tracking a course line on an approach procedure. There is nothing that states this has to be an enroute course.

So IFR proficiency can be maintained.

It is also a divided FAA FSDO community about experimental aircraft using
non certified GPS receivers for LNAV approaches.
Receivers being used for GPS approaches could legally be either certified or non certified provided they demonstrate they can shoot the approach and verify it in their approved procedures and accepted by the local FSDO Atlanta stated they had to be certified.. Wichita stated either but had to be approved
in documentation. Even If you use a certified receiver you have to have it documented that you can shoot what ever approach you will do in your approved maneuvers to be able to use it in your experimental aircraft according to both FSDO offices.. They told me that you are basically doing all the test requirements that any manufacture has to do and we're very specific about the documentation. So I would check with your local FSDO to make sure you comply.

However they are very specific that you may not shoot an LPV approach with out a WAAS GPS receiver. What about RNP approaches? Now your going into an big mess as far as requirements.. We could not even get approval in our Challenger because it could not do the turning radius required on some RNP approaches in a catagory D aircraft even though it met the RNP .1 requirement for the equipment.

I personally believe the regulations will change in the future as more and more
VOR's and NDB's become decommissioned..

Smilin Jack
CFI-AI MEL
ATP

Lost GPS signal on two recievers yesterday between Tuscon and Palm Springs vor came in real handy to keep out of restricted area

I am really surprised that if you had RAIM verified over your route. but it is what it is.

I believe that if you look at the TSO that was given this pertains to certified aircraft?

Any way. I am going to basically fly my RV as a VFR aircraft... I will not do IFR over mountains at night, I did that 40 years ago and guess I was fortunate to only have a 6 pack of regular vacuum instruments, with an electric turn bank indicator.

But that being stated I will fly above a broken layer IFR provided I have adequate cloud to ground clearance that would assure that I can see a place to set down should the fan stop.

I am doing this as a retirement enjoyment. Not because someone is telling me there are 19 pilots in line to take my job if I don't want to fly at night, IFR.

I will have the capability to file IFR if I need to get my self our of a closed in situation.

For those of you that have called Center enroute to get an IFR to a destination the question is always the same. Are you IFR qualified and equipped. My answer will be yes.

Smilin' Jack

For those who asked:

The PTS (Practical Test Standard) for Instrument-Airplane, which the FAA requires its examiners to use, states that the aircraft has to be capable of doing at least 2 non-precision, 1 precision, approaches. GPS (LNAV) can be one. GPS (LPV) can count as a precision approach. But you need one more (VOR, LOC, or NDB).

You can certainly stay current in your GPS only aircraft, but if you let it lapse more than 6 months the rules require an Instrument Proficiency Check. It used to be that the content was at the instructor's discretion, but an FAR change a few years ago made the use of the PTS mandatory. And, once again, it calls for 2 different types of non-precision approaches. I have a work-around which I think is okay, although I certainly have not asked the FSDO. I combine elements (which is encourage by the PTS) "emergencies" and "VOR approach", by telling the pilot that his gps has just quit, and I hand him my portable VOR receiver (just shows to/from bearing) and have him do an "emergency" VOR approach. The we do LNAV and LPV approaches.

As to self-certifying GPS equipment, yes, I think it is legal. But the attitude from the local FSDO here was that they'd want to see essentially everything in the TSO 146 complied with. Some of those standards involve the robustness of the software, and there's no way I could ever know what's running inside the box. Maybe some good tech guys can figure it out, but it's beyond me.

Last edited:
Some of those standards involve the robustness of the software, and there's no way I could ever know what's running inside the box. Maybe some good tech guys can figure it out, but it's beyond me.

No, even good engineers would not be able to show compliance here, because the TSO specifies compliance with RTCA/DO-178, which is a *process* spec. Unless you have all of the details and records for *how* the software developed, which is what 178 covers, you can't do this.

Additionally, I doubt anyone would be willing to subject their avionics boxes to the various *environmental* requirements specified in DO-160 (fluids, vibration, shock, temperature, etc.).

As stated before...there is a ****** of a lot more to TSO certification than just navigation performance.

Bob,
It sounds like you' ve been at this a while. It is amazing that the FCC
and FAA can not get up to speed. It is amazing that the little old IPAD can do so much and I thank Netjets for going through the testing so us part 91 guys have no issues about using them.. Did you see the Advisory Circular about developing a guide line for going from paper charts to electronic charts..

Being truthful we have been using the IPAD almost a year before the AC came out but we did use. 3 month cross window using both to get up to speed.

Thanks for the lively discussion
Smilin' Jack