Why?

Celcius, K/ph, Knots..... Is standard worldwide.

To find anything backwards or different,go to USA :D:(

Re Knots etc....

The debate has become complex..intractable perhaps!...we need to think like Alexander of Macedonia...when confronted with the "Gordian Knot"....an unsolvable problem!...solved by..'thinking outside the box'...ie cleaving it with his sword!...but don.t try this on ATC!!...rgds to all stan:)

.....To find anything backwards or different,go to USA :D:(

Backwards, I finally figured out why I have been getting bug strikes on my trailing edges and not the leading edges:D

aviation weather is still reported in Statute Miles visibility, winds in kts, approach minimum in SM, but DME in nm...so much for the STANDARD.

ATC may REQUEST an airspeed but they will never be able to verify it so it really doesn't matter as long as the net result occurs... separation from traffic. The don't know the winds, your pitot/static errors, your heading calibrations, etc..

MPH cause I can.

ugh. at least estimate KIAS please

What are you measuring? ...

The orignal definition of a meter (and thus kilometer) is based on the size of the earth: "one ten-millionth of the length of the Earth's meridian along a quadrant; that is, the distance from the equator to the North Pole".

The orignal definition of a nautical mile is also based on the size of the earth: "one minute of arc of latitude measured along any meridian, or about one minute of arc of longitude at the equator".

Both of these are fairly well know derivations.

However, many may not realize that the mile is not arbitrary, but is based on the length of a man's pace: "The Romans were first to use the unit of long distance mille passuum (literally "a thousand paces" in Latin, where each pace or stride was two steps). It denoted a distance of 1,000 paces or 5,000 Roman feet, and is estimated to be about 1,479 metres (1,617 yards). This unit, now known as the Roman mile,[12] spread throughout the Roman Empire, often with modifications to fit local systems of measurements."

A modern mile is a little bit longer than the old Roman mile, but not by much. I occasionally count paces as I walk long distances, and find that walking briskly on level ground, my pace is almost exactly 1/1000 of a mile.

Anyway, not that it matters, but if you want to know how far you've gone realative to the size of the earth, use nautical miles or kilometers. If you want to know to know your distance relative to going on foot, use miles. Then computer your speed -- knots, mph, or kph.

Note: All quotations from Wikipedia.

However, many may not realize that the mile is not arbitrary, but is based on the length of a man's pace: "The Romans were first to use the unit of long distance mille passuum (literally "a thousand paces" in Latin, where each pace or stride was two steps). It denoted a distance of 1,000 paces or 5,000 Roman feet[/B...This unit, now known as the Roman mile,[12] spread throughout the Roman Empire, often with modifications to fit local systems of measurements."

That, too, would be arbitrary (and variable depending upon the stride of each person) :).

It was, however, the british who finally formally defined the statute mile to be a fixed, unvarying length.

Now...back to figuring out how to get my Skyview to display rad/s and degrees Kelvin... :)

Explain how this helps you as an ATC guy?

They sequence traffic by speed. At a busy airport one aircraft at the wrong speed can force go arounds. They do know when your not flying the speed assigned. If everyone else is told to do 180 knots and your doing 170 they see the difference in GS instantly. I have been booted out of more then a few patterns when off by just 10 knots.

George

Explain how this helps you as an ATC guy?

basically, if we're assigning speeds to someone, we're getting things pretty darn close to minimum separation. a 16% airspeed error is fairly significant and could potentially cause a go-around or loss of separation for the controller. winds aloft and atmospheric conditions aren't really important here, as all the aircraft on final are flying through near-identical conditions. i'll admit that i don't know how much pitot/static errors vary, but i would be very surprised to find out that they averaged anything near 16%.

basically, if we're assigning speeds to someone, we're getting things pretty darn close to minimum separation. a 16% airspeed error is fairly significant and could potentially cause a go-around or loss of separation for the controller. winds aloft and atmospheric conditions aren't really important here, as all the aircraft on final are flying through near-identical conditions. i'll admit that i don't know how much pitot/static errors vary, but i would be very surprised to find out that they averaged anything near 16%.

Got it but I still do not see how MPH indication in the cockpit negatively affects your ability to achieve seperation. If I'm flying 120 MPH on final and you REQUEST for me to slow to 100 KIAS I know I need to slow down a little bit - I could get my calculator and figure out I need to fly 115mph or I could just slow down a bit and let it settle out. You're estimating in your assignment anyway and will be monitoring for corrections if things are this tight.

It is how you use the units.

Having spent most of my flying time behind round instruments,. I flew a couple of gliders with the altimeter in meters.
The needles just did not look right when looking outside the cockpit and then scaning the instrument panel when trying to gauge when to run for home or keep trying to stay up.

It was most uncomfortable.

Rob

Got it but I still do not see how MPH indication in the cockpit negatively affects your ability to achieve seperation. If I'm flying 120 MPH on final and you REQUEST for me to slow to 100 KIAS I know I need to slow down a little bit - I could get my calculator and figure out I need to fly 115mph or I could just slow down a bit and let it settle out. You're estimating in your assignment anyway and will be monitoring for corrections if things are this tight.

correct. as long as you're interpolating, you're fine and nobody would care. but flat-out substitution of MPH for KIAS is what i was grumbling about. sorry for the mis-interpretation, no pun intended :D

correct. as long as you're interpolating, you're fine and nobody would care. but flat-out substitution of MPH for KIAS is what i was grumbling about. sorry for the mis-interpretation, no pun intended :D

Of course, if you ask him what his current airspeed is and he gives you a number, and your assumption is that he is giving you KIAS, but he is giving you a MPH number, then there would be a built in error if you ask him to maintain XXX knots based on your observation of his movement relative to the other traffic. True?

Of course, if you ask him what his current airspeed is and he gives you a number, and your assumption is that he is giving you KIAS, but he is giving you a MPH number, then there would be a built in error if you ask him to maintain XXX knots based on your observation of his movement relative to the other traffic. True?

well that would be true, yes, but i (personally) never use "say airspeed." either "maintain X-X-X knots until" or "increase/decrease speed by X-X" or "do not exceed X-X-X knots." other people work differently.

i didn't mean to open up a can of worms here. well, i suppose the can was already open, but i didn't mean to kick it around the kitchen floor either. ;)

Exercise!

I like the converting for friends and family. You need to be on your toes in the air and that's just an exercise for the noodle. You're doing crunches with your brain. So tell your Friends MPH, ATC - Kts, and tell all of us on here GPH. Cause that's what's REALLY important right now!!

Oh and Paul? You're with the government. Didn't you mean $99,999.99 instead of 100K?:D

But hey, it's hard to resist a tool that is only $9.99 instead of $10, isn't it? ;)

The FAA standardized certified aircraft airspeed instruments to knots in the 1976 time frame.

If we changed to furlongs per hour (fph) we could make those advertising department speeds about eight times faster...:D

I actually prefer furlongs per fortnight (fpf). ;)

I will say the ATC standard seems to be KTS but other than it doesn't matter whats used.

SEEMS to be KTS????

I came into this conversation late, but it's pretty simple..... cuz we all know the answer, the international aviation standard IS knots, and nautical miles. ATC talks in knots and expects us to talk in knots. Whatever you have on your gauge is your business, but when ATC says "say your airspeed" they don't expect to hear it in kilometers or MPH or anything but knots. It's not optional.

Jim Gray
RV-8, F-14, B-747-400