It sounds like you were going to Oshkosh as part of your job. Forget that! Just go as one of us common people, look at some airplanes, find new friends to drink a beer with, and chill for a couple of days. As my kids say, just go hang for a while. I consider Oshkosh my time to spend as I please and the last thing I want to consider is what other things I could/should be doing rather than just taking one week of the year off and enjoying myself.

Bob,
Im with you. If it were not for my formation buddies(which are like brothers to me) making me get my butt up there, Id stay home and attend a pancake breakfast.

I always find something about aircraft & homebuilding; forums on oil, engines, metal working, better / correct electrical connection, proper soldering, whatever. Things I did not know before. Some little aspect of aircraft I did not know. Something always grabs me and I say; "This is why I go to Oshkosh." To learn, grow, and become a better pilot / builder & repairman / RV owner. The innovations I see on the flight line by skilled builders are simply breathtaking.

Bob, sure it is more commercial than it was years ago, it has to be to survive. My first Oshkosh was in Rockford, IL! Figure that one out! No vendors anywhere! The control tower was a guy sitting in a lawn chair at the end of the runway with a red flag. Things change, events evolve, life goes on. OSH could have just as easily gone the other way and become extinct, a footnote in the history of experimental aviation. OSH has evolved into the largest gathering of experimental aircraft in the world. Could it be that you are just burned out looking for that fresh angle to write about that is becoming more elusive every month? Get back to your roots, find the forum that trips your trigger. Go as a builder, not a reporter. Maybe looking for the story about the big picture needs to be dropped and start looking for the little ones. It all begins when someone picks up the 1st rivet, not when they take off.

I also get a kick out of talking with the old timers. When I see an old guy in a wheel chair, sucking on 02 I usually find a WWII vet just looking for someone to talk to with a story to tell. Maybe not the most exciting way to spend an hour, but I do it. Some of the stories I have heard will stick with me for the rest of my life! They come to OSH is a wheel chair, the least I can do is say thanks. I've struck up converstaions with guys that I later learn have a pretty impressive aviation resume. I'm not dropping names here, but suffice it to say they "Had the right stuff". ;)

I would not dream of missing OSH. It would not be the same without me. :rolleyes: (kidding!)

Last edited:
You?re not alone Bob

I have a number of reasons that I am not going this year, the easiest one to use is that I simply don?t have the time! Still moving into a new house, Louise starting a new assignment in a different city, an upcoming wedding ? oh, and four Shuttle missions in the next 6 months, as well as flying the ISS?.who in the world would have time to go?

Well, lots of people MAKE time to go to Oshkosh ? it is the ?big thing? in their year. (Of course, lots and lots of homebuilders are retired and have flexible schedules ? it is the demographics of the domain?) And although I don?t know you well Bob, it is clear that Oshkosh has meant a lot to you over the years. But things change, ourselves included. Although I grew up in your neck of the woods, and I have been airplane crazy my entire life, I never went to Oshkosh until I was building my RV ? and then it was primarily a shopping trip. Then I really enjoyed the day I spent last year ? it was quick, but I got to meet so many people that had only been names on a computer.

But Oshkosh doesn?t hold the same attraction to me as it does for so many. I don?t really enjoy crowds ? fairs and festivals are generally things I don?t look forward to. Air shows? Seen ?em too many times. I only go to our Local big show if I get VIP passes for one of the big teams ? again, I don?t like the crowd factor. And quite frankly, if I want to be surrounded by friendly RV faces, I can do that just about any weekend of the year by going to a breakfast or lunch fly-out somewhere within 200 miles of home. LOE is a much shorter flight for me than Oshkosh as well. Gas is getting awfully expensive, and the five hours of straight and level to Oshkosh can be turned into a LOT of evening Acro flight instead.

Sounds like a bunch of down-to-earth excuses, and in fact, somewhat rationalizing for the real reasons ? I just don?t personally get that turned on by Oshkosh. Maybe I started going to late in both my life, and the life of the event ? too late for it to become part of my soul, and at a point where Oshkosh has become something much bigger than a gathering of homebuilders. I am in that camp who believes that the EAA has changed it?s focus beyond my own interests. Fair enough ? if that is what the majority wants, I am OK with being in a minority and going my own way ? I have done that much of my life. But I just don?t feel the need to be a part of the ?biggest aviation event of the year?, just for the sake of being a part of it. Many can?t live without it, and for that, I am happy! For me, there are other things I just can?t live without. I am very fortunate to live and breath aviation every day - for many, this is their chance to "totally immerse" once a year.

I?ll go back to Oshkosh when it works out ? I am not boycotting it. But like you, the passion just isn?t there right now. I wish it, and everyone that goes well ? it is an exciting place when you are in the mood. I?ll be watching from here, and probably missing out on some great fellowship and maybe a few good parties.

Those that are going, have a GREAT time, be safe, and tell those of us that aren?t about the cool new stuff you see.

Oh, and Bob?the great thing about passion is that it truly never dies ? if it is true, it will re-kindle!

Paul

It sounds like you were going to Oshkosh as part of your job. Forget that! Just go as one of us common people, look at some airplanes, find new friends to drink a beer with, and chill for a couple of days. As my kids say, just go hang for a while. I consider Oshkosh my time to spend as I please and the last thing I want to consider is what other things I could/should be doing rather than just taking one week of the year off and enjoying myself.

Well said.

I don?t really enjoy crowds ? fairs and festivals are generally things I don?t look forward to.

I'll skip the crowds at the fairs and festivals too!

However, I've always enjoyed Disneyland, and the same goes for Oshkosh. I'm just a nostalgic type of person, who enjoys the warbirds, the tri-motor, and so many, many more... :)

L.Adamson

I bet if you go, the part of your heart that beats for homebuilding would show up...;)

You're as close to Oshkosh as I am, and in my mind, it's just TOO CLOSE to not go. Even if I were in a slump, the PEOPLE would bring my spirits right back in to it, and the homebuilt airplanes would be close behind.

It's a magical place, that Oshkosh...:cool:

I have a number of reasons that I am not going this year, the easiest one to use is that I simply don?t have the time! Still moving into a new house, Louise starting a new assignment in a different city, an upcoming wedding ? oh, and four Shuttle missions in the next 6 months, as well as flying the ISS?.who in the world would have time to go?...
Paul

Paul,

I know what you mean. Between unpacking the house, hiking, mountain biking, flying over the lake and mountains, who has time to go? ;)

I need to convince my employer to send me but I'm not in marketing so I don't think they'll bite. :(

Karl

Now in Sandpoint, ID :)

By the way, when you live in a vacation destination, where do you go for vacation? :cool:

I to had to make a difficult decision this year. I have never been to Osh and have been planning to go for over a year now.

But I decided that I need to spend my money on things I need to get my plane in the air and a couple of those items are a TW endorsement and transition training. So.... just so happens Jan Bussell in Florida had an opening that week and it was decided that I will be going down there for several days getting this done.

I expect that I would have spent similar money going to Osh and would of came home with nothing to show for it other than great memories. This way I at least get some required training with the same money.

I will get to Osh one day.

Lack of true homebuilts

I want to bring this up somewhere, and a Van's site is probably not the best place to do so, but one reason I don't think I'm going to Oshkosh this year is that you see the same old stuff. Why should I fly several hours and spend hundreds on gas to go get lost in a field of RVs? I think the next time I go to Oshkosh it will be in a scratch built airplane of my design. I've been trying to get that project together for several years now, but don't have the cash. Anyone interested in investing? It started out as a light sport concept, but has shifted (due to the gas prices) to an economy 4 seater that will go 200mph. Yeah, get that, kind of an oxymoron. The goal would be to go 200, seat four people, with the best fuel consumption available. Pretty steep goal. But, to me, that's what Oshkosh is about... Innovation.

It has been the same for me this year...an absence of the usual wonderful anticipation I experience for months before Christmas in July. I'm particularly surprised at this reaction, given that this will be my 25th anniversary of attending Oshkosh!!

I'm still going...it has been a busy few months lately, so I'm just now focusing on why I so much love to go: I enjoy parking myself and watching all the aircraft arrive prior to the show; there'll be Warbirds...I love Warbirds...and a genuine A6M Zero...I'll finally see one fly; tons and tons of RVs...including the -3s; riding the trams and just watching stuff; chit-chatting with other aviation nuts; meticulously built and restored airplanes.

Say, I'm beginning to get excited :)

Bob,

We are going to miss you, but we'll live. It sounds a bit like burnout, and I truly understand that. Had it once and it was totally overpowering, something that surprised me. It lasted about six weeks in my case but I know that really varies. It isn't a permanent thing, and I believe (and hope) that will be the case with you. God bless your decision.

Since a number of people have addressed why they are going (or not going) to OSH, I will, too. About 15 years ago I took my first newbie there and enjoyed it greatly. Watching a person soak it all in for the first time made it all new again for me. That person was my father.

Since then, I have taken over half a dozen and it's always the same. This year it will be two new people; one going up with me and one coming mid-week. I know it will be special.

I would go if there were no airplanes there--as long as there were all the people. I consider all of you family and the other folks there almost distant kin. I have just gone through the sale of our family farm (which I handled) and REALLY need being around good people.

See you next year, Bob

Bob Kelly

I would love to be going this year, I even have a free right seat in my brother's P210, but I forgot to schedule OSH with my daughter last Oct. because she is due with my first grandchild right in the middle of OSHl I figured I shoud stick around and make sure that storks nose wheel does not collapse.

I would go if there were no airplanes there--as long as there were all the people.
Bingo. Oshkosh is not about airplanes, it's about people. Many of these people only see each other once a year, making it a family reunion of sorts. A slightly dysfunctional family to be sure, but hey, which of our own families isn't?

Paul makes a good, though well worn point about EAA moving beyond homebuilders. By well worn I mean that it is valid and has been made many times by many people, including myself. However, EAA is as we speak in the midst of a reorganization, with the stated goal of returning to it's "core membership." Many small changes are in the works, and from what I have seen they are for the better. The Titanic couldn't turn on a dime and an organization as big as EAA won't either, but it is turning.

Give it another chance.

As for me, I wouldn't miss it for the world.

I figured I shoud stick around and make sure that storks nose wheel does not collapse.

Hah, Hah that's funny! What would Oshkosh be without some controversy! I am sure some people will be wandering around looking at nose forks this year!

Sun N Fun is enough for me. Plus it is only 2.5 hours RV time away. That satisfies my big airshow yearning for the year. From what I hear, SNF is just a small scale OSH anyway.
I will make it to OSH eventually and would like to be part of the RV9 get together this year. But, it just happens to fall at a time when it is difficult for me to get the necessary days off work to make the long trip out there.

I think it is normal to feel that way

I am preparing our plane for the AirVenture Cup race out of Mitchell, SD to an airport I have never seen somewhere southwest of Fond Du Lac. All of the lower cowl baffling is in place, the tip tanks & 12" stock wing tips are replaced by homemade 3" wing tips shortening the wing span to 21.5 ft, the homemade wheel subfairings are mounted, the steps are removed, the plane has been thoroughly washed and I am waxing it for the second time in two months waiting for the dark blue Gaffer's Tape to arrive for reducing the rudder and elevator mounting holes. The tension is building and I look forward to the event and all that surrounds it.

When I was a young guy in the late 50s and early 60s I was a member of an organization called the Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA 1967) and they had a National Championship each year at a different Naval Air Station (Dallas, Philadelphia, Chicago and Los Angeles in that order). I built a large box with a wedge shaped leading edge and each year I would load it full of free flight aircraft of every possible class I could prepare for and I would head out for the big competition. I enjoyed standing in the long processing lines to get the planes checked in for the next day's competition and then in the contest itself putting every technique, force of will and hope into every flight. I never tired of it but life events forced an end to it 1965. After the last contest of the season at Parks College in Illinois I launched every thing I had without dethermalizers and full tanks on the gas powered models - it was time to grow up and move on with serious life pursuits. I still remember the beauty of a free flight model of any class soaring to a max.

Oshkosh is an airshow and a beauty contest which I enjoy but do not really feel a part of. When I checked in at the homebuilder's booth after the AirVenture Cup in 2006 I asked if they had heard any results of the race yet and no one in the EAA booth even knew there was a race. I'm sure they were very happy to be there and be a part of the event as are all of the campers, volunteers, performers, War Bird owners and WWII veterans. Except for an occassional F-86, there are no military fighter or bomber aircraft at the show from the 1950s (my USAF era). If they flew in an F-101 or a B-36 I would go to the big show all the way from Arkansas just to see them fly again. The one thing that sparks my interest for this year's program is Jon Sharp's speed record attempt in the NXT.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
I I also get a kick out of talking with the old timers. When I see an old guy in a wheel chair, sucking on 02 I usually find a WWII vet just looking for someone to talk to with a story to tell. Maybe not the most exciting way to spend an hour, but I do it. Some of the stories I have heard will stick with me for the rest of my life! They come to OSH is a wheel chair, the least I can do is say thanks. I've struck up converstaions with guys that I later learn have a pretty impressive aviation resume. I'm not dropping names here, but suffice it to say they "Had the right stuff". ;)

I would not dream of missing OSH. It would not be the same without me. :rolleyes: (kidding!)

Larry,
"Maybe not the most exciting way to spend an hour"? I think you and I both agree that it is one of THE most satisfying ways to spend an hour, or two, or six! I took my Dad to the Gathering of Mustangs, and of course our primary objective was to listen to a symphony in V-12. However, once there I spent the majority of the time finding and chatting up aviators from the USAAC, USN, and USMC who were vets of the "War to end all Wars". My pop, and the others like him, is 86, can't hear (28 missions in a B-24), has a questionable heart, and is just generally old. But, for those two days last September, everyone of those men lived the excitment of being in their 20's.
During a break in the show, I noticed an older gentleman slowly using his walker to get closer to one of the Mustangs. What caught my eye was that as he moved along, he never broke his gaze on that P-51! He finally made it to the side of the nose, right below the exhaust stacks. As he stood there, he slowly reached out and placed his trembling hand on the side of that Mustang, and remained there with his head bowed. I walked over to him and waited, not wanting to interupt his thoughts. Soon, I was greeted with a smile, but from a tear streaked face. His cap told me that he had once been a Mustang pilot. I commented that it looked like he was reaquinting himself with an old flame. He said "actually, I was saying, goodbye and thanks." He went on to explain that the Mustang had brought him home everytime, and he owed her his life. His health was in rapid decline and he wanted to take this one last opportunity to say "thanks and goodbye" to the plane that next to his wife, had been the love of his life.
That my friends is why you should go to OSH, and any other fly-in, or airshow. It is not about who has the coolest EFIS or paint, it is about the people you meet and the friends you make.

....but I forgot to schedule OSH with my daughter last Oct....

I got you beat there; I forgot to schedule OSH just last month when I was bidding my monthly work schedule. Oops!

I actually could make it up to OSH by Thursday evening or Friday morning... but I just don't want to be anywhere near there with the weekend crowds forming. I've been to Oshkosh maybe 5-6 times now and last year I did my personal Holy Grail, flew my RV-8 to the Big Show... I arrived at mid-day on Tuesday last year, with no traffic over Ripon, no holding patterns, just fly in and park. Sweet! This year, arriving towards the weekend, probably ain't gonna happen that way... like Iron posted previously, I'm just not that into huge crowds and swarms of airplanes trying to get in.

I'll miss seeing all the Warbirds, RVs (and everything else!), but I'll make it up next year with my -7A hangar neighbor in tow as a 2 ship. He's never been to OSH, so his first trip there in his own RV should be a hoot!

Larry,
"Maybe not the most exciting way to spend an hour"? I think you and I both agree that it is one of THE most satisfying ways to spend an hour, or two, or six!

Absolutely. I only lied to make Bob feel better! ;)

Thank a WWII vet, this just might be the last year you can.;)

Reasons I go

The wife and I talked about not going this year, that would be 2 in a row, last year my youngest was born on the 26th so we just couldnt go, but honestly I have gone enough now that I dont need to try an see it all and the biggest draw for me is the friends that we camp with. This is family that only gets together once a year. We camp with people from literally around the globe. Our Group is called the Oshkosh Iregulars. It is a fitting name if you know our group.
Yes Ill be there to see the new jet pack thingy get shown but at the end of the day its the fun around the campfire drinking beer with our friends that is the best. Talk about a good time hangar flying.
I too can now say Oshkosh is not what I remember it was when I first went, My Grandpa took me to my first one and he said that it wasnt as he remembered it even back then,1982 so it has come full circle.
So anyway we have scrimped and saved to go this year and man I hope it at least cools down at night.
See you all there, and I bet those of you who dont go about mid-week Osh you will think twice about not going.

Stop By...

You should go to OSH while it's still there and you can celebrate one the rare freedoms we still enjoy here in the USA! Park yourself in a portable lawn chair beside your airplane, in less than 15 minutes you will task saturated with conversation, guaranteed.

While there stop by the IAMA tent, I promise you will be glad you did...

Smokey
HR2

http://www.iamanet.org/

Last edited:
An Old P-51 Pilot...Airventure...and Reno

...I took my Dad to the Gathering of Mustangs, and of course our primary objective was to listen to a symphony in V-12. ...
I noticed an older gentleman slowly using his walker to get closer to one of the Mustangs. What caught my eye was that as he moved along, he never broke his gaze on that P-51! He finally made it to the side of the nose, right below the exhaust stacks. As he stood there, he slowly reached out and placed his trembling hand on the side of that Mustang, and remained there with his head bowed. I walked over to him and waited, not wanting to interupt his thoughts. Soon, I was greeted with a smile, but from a tear streaked face. His cap told me that he had once been a Mustang pilot. I commented that it looked like he was reaquinting himself with an old flame. He said "actually, I was saying, goodbye and thanks." He went on to explain that the Mustang had brought him home everytime, and he owed her his life. His health was in rapid decline and he wanted to take this one last opportunity to say "thanks and goodbye" to the plane that next to his wife, had been the love of his life.
That my friends is why you should go to OSH, and any other fly-in, or airshow. It is not about who has the coolest EFIS or paint, it is about the people you meet and the friends you make.

Wow, Mark, Your story plucked a heart string. It is very well written.
As for me, I've been to Airventure about five times over the last 20 years, and I compare it to Disney World. You just can't do it all at one time. You have to pick what you want to do, and do it. And yes, the people are a big part of the event.
Last November, my second son who lives in Ohio, and I began making plans to fly in to OSH this year. He and I both came to the conclusion that this year we would spend our money on the Reno Air Races instead. Not to knock Airventure, but he used to live in Reno, and we both wanted to go back there this year. Awww, so many choices...but not enough time or money! We'll plan a trip in the future to Airventure.

Don

P.S. FWIW, I found the best time to take showers if staying in one of the Airventure campgrounds is during the afternoon air show. At that time of day, the showers are the least crowded.

OSH, a special place!

My first time in OSH was as a newly minted pilot back in “92”. This was with my instructor Steve and TD in his 182. We flew in at busy period – aircraft in front and back with a line of aircraft holding over rush lake. I was wide eye like a kid in a candy store. I was running from booth to experimental to warbird. Camping under the wing with aircraft engines was a sound of continuous music. I couldn’t sleep! What a great time- TD was newly minted IFR rating and we both ran into some mild broken actual as Steve slept in the back seat.
Next time was in “94” when we flew commercial into Milwaukee with friends and camped at the barn. Still a wide eyed kid running…Then was “96” with a good friend Jim who also just purchased a “56” 172 as his first aircraft ownership, we “Must” take that to Osh …and if you know that “for sale” board near the tower…full of aircraft and parts for sale…I found my first airplane to own- $9,500 for sale on the field –“58” 172 out of annual- well what a better place to find parts, a chapter A&P AI- than on the field at OSH during the show! Steve helped with wiring the cash – then back over the Rockies in my own plane!
Next time in “99”- flew in the show in a purchased Wittman Tailwind with metal wings. What a great machine, I still miss it. Again impressed with controllers that guessed- “uuuhhh yellow BD 4 ??, land on the green dot. The rest of the Flagstaff gang was at a Fon-du-lock hotel (with a bar!). Then in “04” with Jim and a Chapter member and OSH first timer- in the 182. Was very special- The reenactment of D-day, Hilton Bar when Bob Hoover walked passed, then Kirmet Weeks sat down next to us and we chatted about the condition and flying of – (my favorite of all aircraft) his Dehavland Mosquito- (over a beer!). I had to call my wife and tell her that I am, again, living a dream as movie star’s walk past.
So for me the memories make OSH is a very special place- a place to visit every few years as I wear my rose colored glasses! I’m Really looking forward to it! And flying in with the RV, no less! Yea, this is all about friends and aiplanes: Look for a Yellow T-shirt that says: “Flagstaff Airport Slugs” (Steve’s design, not mine)

Last edited:
Intervention

It's bothered me for weeks that my excitement for AirVenture wasn't building this year. Finally, I just had to give in to it.

Bob,

You need to go, if even for a few days. Heck, you are so close. I think if you go and just have a good time with people with no plan, you'll get that spark again.

I was really excited to go this year. After getting TWO instrument tickets, starting a new job and adapting to working after 3.5 years of retirement, I needed the break. I was looking forward to seeing good friends, Brats, cold beer, cold beer, cold beer.........But, the schedule didn't work out. Next year for sure.

Don't make me come up there!!!! Get your butt to Osh and give us some reports from your perspective as Bob Collins the RV guy and not Bob Collins the RV BBQ guy.

Get your butt to Osh and give us some reports from your perspective as Bob Collins the RV guy and not Bob Collins the RV BBQ guy.

Or Bob Collins the journalist! Go for you Bob!:cool: I NEED SOMEONE TO STAKE OUT OUR CAMPSITE, AND YOU'RE THE MAN FOR THE JOB!!!!

I think that's why my summer has slipped away, there's becoming very little separation between me and me the journalist.

I want to make clear -- because reading my blog again revealed the confusion -- I have NO -- zero, nada -- problem with the EAA commercialization thing and as I've said before, Oshkiosh is all about a social gathering for me (although I did need to buy a countersink bit to do the fiberglass stuff).

There are a few forums I wanted to see, but really even those are repeats. I can pretty much dictate word for word what the Van's forum is going to say (nose gear, RV-12, he'll whack on people for asking if flush rivets can be used on the RV-12, 51% etc.). I'd like to do the Sam James fiberglass thing as a hands-on but that location he's in is simply horrible. Besides, bought the Sam James video.

And, like I said, a lot of people who I hang with most of the time at Osh, aren't going and my wife said she couldn't go...that pretty much sealed it.

BTW, I still think an article on how a judge views an RV would be really helpful for builders.

Anyway, I got a nice note from Dick Knapinski (he really is THAT good at what he does) at EAA apologizing that the staff dropped the ball. But the lack of enthusiasm by, no doubt, an overworked judging crew, the lack of enthusiasm to find a guinea pig RV, pretty much matched my lack of enthusiasm this year.

One thing I do want to do during that week (which I'm still taking off from work), go fly an airplane!

And then mow the lawn.

This will be my eighth consecutive Oshkosh and I honestly can't remember one that I've been more excited about. I've never been interested in the "demented bee" type air show acts, but there's always plenty of other variety out there. This year I'm looking forward to the Boeing Model 40, the rocketplanes, the Osprey tiltrotor, the Boeing Dreamlifter, the jetpack (and if that ain't in the classic spirit of EAA, I don't know what is), and the Pitcairn autogyro. This is also my first Oshkosh as a homebuilder, so I am looking forward to attacking the exhibit areas with a whole new perspective. And Jeff Dunham performing at Theater in the Woods is outstanding. But as someone has already said, it's really about the people you meet.

Like many Oshkosh too me, are the people we meet and hang out with. Since going to Oshkosh in the 80?s as a kid, I?ve found it to be the best yearly event I?ve been too. There are so many nice, knowledgeable people, along with the aviation legends that speak or will speak to us individually about our shared passion. I just couldn?t think of a year when I couldn?t at lease make it one day. I understand many live too far to make this cost reasonable, but my year plans around going too my yearly vacation at Oshkosh.

I am very disappointed to not be going this year.

One thing I do want to do during that week (which I'm still taking off from work), go fly an airplane!

And then mow the lawn.

I was planning on the trip up to about 1 month ago, but my home work has got in the way. (landscaping, lawn mowing, veg. garden and the war with the moles). I didn't get the conditional inspection done and have a lot of improvements that I was wanting to do this time.
So I to will be taking time off for OSH, but staying home and working on my plane.

Hope to join in the fun next year.

Kent

This is kind of a depressing thread. This will my 1st time ever, a month before my big 50. Last year my wife asked me where I wanted to go on vacation this year, and I told her the only place I wanted to go was Oshkosh for Airventure. We started looking for a room the day after Oshkosh ended last year, and we got a room at the Comfort Suites in Ripon. I had to pay in full last September, with no refunds for any reason. I'm stoked! I've been waiting a long time for this, and I won't be able to go every year, but I do want to go at least once in my plane when it's finished.

I'm working on my canopy and panel now, my engine arrived yesterday. I have lots of questions to ask, people to meet and pictures to take.

I hope I will always look forward to things like this.

This is kind of a depressing thread. This will my 1st time ever, a month before my big 50.

On the positive side..........

There will still be 200-300,000 people going, versus the 10 or so from this forum, that won't! :D

L.Adamson

Oshkosh has evolved

Sorry to hear you aren't going Bob.

I am new to EAA and Oshkosh (3 years) and I think it's the most amazing aviation convention I have ever seen. You can hear incredible people speak, see beautiful/historic/well built planes, lay your hands on the newest avionics or kit, watch great airshows, check out new production planes, dream a little and just generally be surrounded by people who get it -- why flying is so darned incredible and airplanes/spacecraft/RC models heck anything that flies so interesting and exciting.

Rather than segmenting us into homebuilders and production guys, nose wheel guys and tail wheel guys, kit builders and scratch builders, jet guys and prop guys or some other divisive categorization, OSH brings everyone who loves aviation together to enjoy, share and generally be with your peers, teachers, heros and friends.

I hope I don't lose my love of the event or get bored by the overwhelming variety it offers.

Were it to revert to a fly-in of similar homebuilts, it would lose its appeal for me. Heck I even like the non aviation displays. I'm really looking forward to checking out what Ford and Roush have on the line this year, and I would like to check out the John Deere tractors and Honda bikes.

Personally, I am stoked (again).

Sure the airplanes are cool, but I look forward to seeing my friends. With several of us camping out again this year, great times will be had by all. Bob, if you do make it, I hope you'll stop by for a beer or two... or... :D

Sorry you aren't going this year Bob but I cant wait! So I thought I'd change the mood of this thread and list a few reasons why I'm going.

I'm going back to Osh because...

...It's the only place and time on earth I can be an Aviation geek and 300,000 other people will consider me 'normal'

...I can smile and have a blank stare for hours gazing at my favorite warbird and nobody cares

...I can eat Brots and drink beer for a week and consider that a healthy diet

...I can sit for hours listening to WW2 Vets tell their stories and be as enamored as a kid in a room full of enamored kids

...I can have mosquito bites, sunburn, sore legs, heartburn, a stiff neck and still have a stupid grin on my face when I get back to camp and show my wife my prized clump of steel tubes I welded together while all the time wreaking of avgas, perspiration, brats and beer and have the gall to say 'lets go out for brats and beer honey!!'

What are some reasons the rest of you go to Osh??

PS: Oh what the h*** Bob, you know what your gonna miss, just go!

Okay Bob,

Pity party is over. Time to put fresh AA's in the tape recorder, grab a couple of steno-pads, a good supply of your favorite writing instruments, and prep the plane. BTW, Most of us guys this is our vacation, you get to go and it's a freakin tax write off! If you don't go think of the taxes you'll pay next April 15th! Did you ever think of that? Hmmmm? Be glad I'm here to remind you! :rolleyes:

This reminds me of another reason to go! FOOD! BEER! WAR STORIES! AIRPLANES! & FOREIGNERS! Where else can you hang out with Aussies, New Zealanders, Brits, Cannucks, Bahamanians, Israelis, Californians, Europeans, South Americans galore, and fellow North Americans. The international flavor of this event is unlike anything else in the world, and it is right here in the US once a year.

I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it. :D:D:D

Last edited:
Hope Im not stepping over the line

Bob

We will miss you; I think that this says it all.

?I've let Van's know that I will not be organizing or subsidizing any aspect of the RV BBQ at Oshkosh this year, and that I'm going to try to get back to the days of hanging out with a few close (at least for one week) friends, taking in the show and generally getting back to the grassroots of my homebuilding life.?

I think if I had done all the work you have in the past years and when it was my time to rest a little no one picked up the ball I would feel a little discouraged too. Too many of us want to have a good time but will not get involved enough (myself included). We want to leave it to others. I met you for the first time last year at the BBQ and was very impressed with the BBQ and how it was organized. My wife and I had a great time and hoped to attend this year,s BBQ. Guess that will not happen. It has to be a let down when no one else wants to pick up the ball. I will apologize for my wife and myself on that.

If for some reason you do decide to drop in we would love to meet up with you and maybe grab dinner and some good conversation. We do hope to see you there.

Being that close (MN) I couldn't imagine not going. My Dad took me to OSH back in 1976 for the first time. We camped out with one of his flying buddies/ co-worker for Pan AM, who owned a Stinson Reliant, along with his two kids (we were all about the same age - 12 or 13).Even as kids we had a blast, running around, eating the bad food from the tents, got a ride in the Stinson, and locking each other in the port-a-johns (OK, we were 12 and that was really funny then - matter of fact, it might even be funny today!).

Well, now thirty-some years later, I've been to OSH about 16 times, mostly since being stationed at Offutt AFB in the Air Force. I'm not there to see all the same airplanes, or the same vendors, although it's fun and interesting, or see the same airshow routines (Masters of Disasters was an exception), but it's all about the people. I've been camping with the same group for years and it's now a chance to kick back, relax, do the beer and brats, maybe some fish, and catch up with buddies from across the country we only see once a year. Where else can you bump into someone and pick up right where you left off from laswt year.

I just can't imaging not going!

Bob we have never met, but...

I feel like I know you, I have been building an RV for the last 5 years or so, my brother and I have enjoyed reading your messages and keeping track of your progress and the progress of many others. I am not much of a contributor but I am one of the faithful to this group and have benefited greatly from the many contributors. This year will be my first time at OSH and in the RV-7A I built. I for one will be sorry not to have the chance to meet you in person, to say hello and to thank you and all the contributors who helped and entertained me so much over the years. But I know when you are ready and you will be...you too will fly your aircraft to OSH. And I hope I will be one of the many to share the excitement you will experience flying your aircraft to OSH for the first time. In the meantime enjoy your project, take your time, your friends will be ready when you are. Thanks for the inspiration over the years, see you at OSH, someday.
Mark Mercier
RV-7A C-GQRV
Vancouver, BC

Just freakin' go and stop whining...

I've only been once and that was in 2006. Waited until I could fly my own plane in with my son that we took over 5 years to build. It was a bit of a let down because I couldn't relax enough due to the lousy forecasted flying weather for the return trip to the east coast. We ended up leaving 2 or 3 days earlier than desired due to weather.

The folks who drove in and camped in style for the whole week seemed to be the most relaxed and having the best time overall. They had bikes to get around all day and a car to get off ground and take in other points of interests conveniently. I skipped last year because it occurred to me too late to work it out that that's the way I'd rather go next time. Well next time is this year and my son and I are headed back for a sweet week of bonding. I'm stoked. As others have alluded to, it's not one big overwhelming event, it's a bunch of small events taking place all week. Take your time and explore it from the ground up. Strike up coversations with complete strangers. Walk over to the handicapped gentleman and see how they are doing. Probably someone who was a grunt on D-Day or a bombardier over Africa. The people I meet at these events humble me to no end. Can't wait to share this with my son.

Stop whining and go. For every lame excuse not to go there's a zillion positives that trump them. Sure it's going to be expensive no matter how you attend. Sure there will be 'crowds' no matter how the economy has been this year. Sure many of the same planes will be there performig and on display as before. So what - I want to see that new jet pack fly, I want to see those rocket planes, I want to see the V-22 Osprey which I am in charge of testing the Avionics SW on and BS with the crew and get their thoughts. I wasn't there last year so I'll be the happy, smiling, pleasant, positive and enthusiastic middle age dad attending with his 15 year old son so if you see me please say hi and if you are down I'll be pumped enough to pull anyone out of their slump. Look me up somewhere in camp Scholler!

Later,
Lucky

Last edited:
This will be my 5th year in a row going. There is so much there to see and do but for me the real joy is being in a relaxed setting enjoying the people I'll be there with. This is so important to me that my RV and my buddies RV will be parked in the North 40 with all the spam cans including the 5 others in our group. It was a real debate whether to park and camp next to it there or leave her all alone in the sea of RV's.

As a group, we eat breakfast together then go our separate ways, coming back to our site in the late afternoon/evenings, cooking or going out for diner together, and all talking excitedly about our days experience over wine, beer, a decent single malt, or a margarita while sitting under the stars and the wings of our planes.

There is plenty of relaxing down time where we continue to purposely forget about our hectic lives and the fellowship that all should experience is really in my opinion what makes going to Oshkosh special. Been to Sun-n-Fun twice and will not go back. That spirit and fellowship just does not exist there.

My advice to anyone that has not airplane camped there and feel that they are burned out of going should rent a bird and fly in. Any group of folks in the North 40 will happily take in strays and rekindle that spirit. You are welcome to join us.

Could it be that Bob doesn't know how lucky he is.
There must be thousands of people who would give their eye teeth to have the opertunity to go to Oshkosh.
I would love to go and hope to one day but not living in North America I just have to hope and dream it will one day be achievable.
John

Can't wait to share this with my son.

As well you should. I enjoyed sharing Oshkosh with my family and, in fact, did.

Let's try to hold off on the name-calling and judgment of others, though, OK? I'm simply sharing my thoughts. I'm not saying you have to have the same thoughts.

I'd like to think that's still possible on VAF and we respect the opinions of others and the willingness to share them.

And please read what I wrote on Letters, again if you haven't already because you'll see it has nothing to do with negativity or not appreciating sharing things with family and others.

when I write, I write honestly and openly and from the heart. I do so because I think readers respect that even though I suspect they often don't agree. In return, I expect a minimum level of respect. Please?

thank you.

I hope I will be one of the many to share the excitement you will experience flying your aircraft to OSH for the first time. In the meantime enjoy your project, take your time, your friends will be ready when you are. Thanks for the inspiration over the years, see you at OSH, someday.
Mark Mercier
RV-7A C-GQRV
Vancouver, BC

Next year for sure, Mark. And thanks.

BTW, if anyone is going TO or FROM Osh and would like to drop down in South St. Paul to refuel and grab some refreshment (or even stay overnight in our luxurious accomodations), I've got a hangar for your RV and a cold beverage. Just give me a call at 651.246.5564 and I'll make sure I'm at the airport to greet you. KSGS would make a good morning launch area for OSH or -- on return -- a good spot to put down for the night, especially if you had an afternoon departure.

This reminds me of another reason to go! FOOD! BEER! WAR STORIES! AIRPLANES! & FOREIGNERS! Where else can you hang out with Aussies, New Zealanders, Brits, Cannucks, Bahamanians, Israelis, Californians

You know who I really enjoyed meeting last year at the BBQ? The folks from The Netherlands. They were cool (although i felt stupid when saying goodbye, i didn't know you're supposed to kiss on BOTH cheeks. I'm such an...... American!). Wonderful people.

And then a couple of years ago at the BBQ -- I think it was '05 -- Beverly and Stan Jones from new Zealand. He was standing around a guy who was just talking about having spent $14,000 to put in an instrument panel. So he moved to the other side of the campsite. "$14,000 for a panel," he grumbled, throwing in some expletives. I LOVE that. I think of it whenever I price out stuff I want to put in the panel. They were great fun.

(BTW, I accidentally edited -- sted quoted -- SpruceMoose's suggestion I drive for a few days rather than the whole week -- or 10 days in my case since I usually show up on Friday). May have to do that.

Well If You're out on Sunday...

Well it sounds like your juices have been pumped up a bit. If you do decide to drive over, it should be interesting to see low altitude finish line passes for the AirVenture Cup race at the Juneau/Dodge County Airport on Sunday Morning 7/27/08. The racers launch at 9:00AM from Mitchell, South Dakota And some (Relentless NXT, SX-300, Legacy) will be arriving a little over an hour later. The FAA has waived the 250 KIAS speed limit as usual for this race and I assure you some of these folks will be breaking it. Oh no not my RV-6A but it won't be to shabby either.

Bob Axsom
Race #71