$$$$---

:) $145.00 --WI-- Hi, "You feel OK, how many fingers?(2), (whisper) 1, 2, 6. Listen to heart, blood pressure, pee in bottle, pay nurse on the way out--Have a nice flight !!!! (10 Minutes) I'm healthy again ! :p

I doubt it.

... if I have a heart attack in a car, I can pull off to the side of the road and stop within several seconds...

I saw a good friend of mine die of his first heart attack. The last SEVERAL seconds of his life were the most horrible thing I have ever witnessed. He was totally incapacitated the entire time.

For someone that basically watched his dad die while performing CPR on him, you are assuming too much on how well you might handle a real MI.

:confused: Notwithstanding instant death & incapacitation scenarios... if I have a heart attack in a car, I can pull off to the side of the road and stop within several seconds. If I have a heart attack in a plane at altitude, I'm screwed, and so are the non-pilot passengers in my airplane.

And Mel, how much were you paying for a gallon of gasoline (automobile) back in the '60's?

I was going to college. There was always a "gas war" at home or at school. Normal price for regular was 18-19 cents per gallon. AvGas was 46-48 cents per gallon.

If I lost my medical, I'd skip LSA and jump right into a motorglider. Motorgliders don't have as many restrictions as LSA. The Virus SW can be flown day or night and it has a cruise of 147 knots and range of nearly 800 nautical miles... plus... I can shut off the engine and work thermals all afternoon for free.

virus_sw_foto5.jpg

Unfortunately, the 147 knot Virus SW is considered an airplane. The longer winged Virus which travels at 120kts is indeed a motor glider. You can also get a Virus SW limited to 120kts and certified as an LSA.

Just curious, back when I got medicals, they were about $70-80. What do they cost now?
It depends. Some folks on the board know my past medical issues (Leukemia) and why I don't have a 3rd class medical. I talked to two AMEs last year about getting my medical, having been in remission for several years. They indicated that with my history of this type of leukemia, I would be on a yearly special issuance for the rest of my life and the tests required would cost about $4,000 every year (flow cytometry). Even then, there's no guarantee that someone in OKC wouldn't decide to deny me, and there's the end of my powered flying career.

No thanks.

Instead, I am expanding my flying "career" by pursuing my CFI-G and CFI-SP. Ironic, isn't it, that in the FAA's eyes, I'm not fit enough to fly a 152, but I can teach aerobatics and high-altitude flying to glider pilots.

TODR