New Ideas

Ross and Low Pass,
I hear what you guys are saying, but if you are after a free exchange of ideas, you must be prepared for answers that don't support your hypothesis.
For example: Somebody says "Install a supercharger in the alternator drive position on your Lycoming, and put the alternator on the vacuum pump pad".
To the casual observer, Ross sounds like an optimist when he says "great idea, take pictures and share it with the group".

Trouble is, the vacuum pump drive is limited to fractional horsepower, and turns too slow to properly operate a stock alternator. B&C builds a custom backup alternator for the vacuum pad, but it is 8 or 20 amps, much short of the 60 amps we usually install. They produce this power at 3500 rpm, so at the 1.30 to 1 drive ratio of the vacuum pad, that means you will not charge when idling on the ground. That's why the stock alternator installation has a 5 to 1 pully ratio, so the alternator will charge on the ground.

Dragsters use superchargers...........but can't think of one current production airplane using a supercharger. Must be a good reason! Lack of turbo lag is the only reason I know of for a supercharger, but that is of no consequence
in aircraft. If you look at Eggenfellner's supercharged 4, it could barely compare to Van's 160 hp Lycoming, at 34 inches of MP.

Superchargers consume shaft horsepower that otherwise would be driving the prop, so most performance experts do infact seem to opt for the turbo.
If Egg's move from superchargers to turbos is any indication, I would think you would be headed down the wrong road.

So if you are looking to tinker, go for it, but you will most likely end up with a
marginal result. In which case you should take Ross's advise and "post some pictures when you are done"!

airguy said:
Ross, what fuel are you running on your Sube? Any vapor lock problems?

I run 100LL exclusively. No VL problems but I use a submerged EFI pump inlet and it is mounted behind the firewall so no extra heat involved. A little complex but reliable. 2 low pressure pumps and 2 high for redundancy.

Superchargers solve some problems but create many more for aircraft. There has been some success with the Vortecs on a few experimentals but I'd stay away from the Roots types on aircraft. Relatively inefficient.

Modern Denso type alternators don't need to be spinning at high revs to charge. Mine jams out 22 amps at 1500 rpm rotor speed and I have it geared way down from OE.

For a minimal RV9 without glass and with magnetos, the 20 amp B&C might do the job.

Last edited:
Yukon said:
Ross and Low Pass,

Lack of turbo lag is the only reason I know of for a supercharger, but that is of no consequence
in aircraft.

The fact that you don't need a complicated exhaust system (or any exhaust system-think P-51) with it's corresponding heat problems speaks well for supercharger use in airplanes.

captainron said:
The fact that you don't need a complicated exhaust system (or any exhaust system-think P-51) with it's corresponding heat problems speaks well for supercharger use in airplanes.

This is one of the few advantages of superchargers. The fact remains that there have been no supercharged GA installations in the last 30+ years. Turbos have replaced superchargers on most heavy heavy machinery and trucks also for many years because they are more reliable and more efficient. The engineers who have developed turbo systems have no doubt evaluated superchargers and they came up second best against turbos.

Turbos have the big advantage of offering increased drive torque available with altitude, easy boost control, being mass flow devices (load) vs. rpm and recovering energy from the exhaust stream rather than sapping it from the crank.

This is not to say that superchargers are bad- the Thunder Mustang and another Sport Class aircraft use them at Reno- just head to head, turbos make more power with less boost and lower weight.

Heat issues are pretty much negated with proper design and materials.

superchargers are heavy

I can't say exactly what my supercharger weighs, but it's heavy. I imagine that a turbocharger would be a lot lighter. Even though I've got several thousand in that supercharger, I'd toss it in a minute for a good turbo installation.

Weight

What kind of supercharger are you using?

I was trying to get find the weight on a small vortech but I have not had any luck.

Web site

Micky

Jumped on your web site. Impressive!

I see the supercharger. I'll have to find some weights before I do anymore scheming on the subject.