JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I really like vernier prop and mixture controls. I've never used a throttle quadrant. I've read all the posts I can find about the left side console, verniers, and the throttle quadrant.

If I want to have a lock for the throttle, and a second for the prop/mix this most expensive option is available:

If I want a vernier setup for prop/mixture and a quadrant for throttle, this set of posts has good info:

So my questions are these:
1. With the verniers, is the hand position way forward and a pain to deal with, or not a big deal?
2. With the dual-lock quadrant, is any modification to the left panel needed, or is a drop-in?
3. With the single throttle quadrant, which is best and fits in without modification?

I like the pictures that have switches on that left side panel too, which I hadn't thought about before seeing them.

I think there are 2 considerations 1) individual friction locks for each control (MP, RPM, MIXTURE) and 2) ergonomics of using the quadrant versus verniers.
I have tried both and and did not like the quadrant, so opted for the way I like flying in an Extra 300 where you set RPM and Mixture on vernier controls and just work the throttle.
I modded my quadrant to this kind of prototype in my RV-8. (see photo attached)
The other big decision you need to make is the control CABLES. If you go with the Vans ones, they are made for marine boats, get very sticky after 100 hours, most need replacing after 200 hours and make the quadrant more difficult to use. I swapped my cables out for McFarlane and it made a world of difference to the ease of use and accuracy of the controls themselves.

Aircraft spruce has 2 types of quadrants- https://www.aircraftspruce.com/categories/aircraft_parts/ap/menus/ap/controls_vans.html

Attachments

• quad.jpg
    quad.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
I really like vernier prop and mixture controls. I've never used a throttle quadrant. I've read all the posts I can find about the left side console, verniers, and the throttle quadrant.

If I want to have a lock for the throttle, and a second for the prop/mix this most expensive option is available:

If I want a vernier setup for prop/mixture and a quadrant for throttle, this set of posts has good info:

So my questions are these:
1. With the verniers, is the hand position way forward and a pain to deal with, or not a big deal?
2. With the dual-lock quadrant, is any modification to the left panel needed, or is a drop-in?
3. With the single throttle quadrant, which is best and fits in without modification?

I like the pictures that have switches on that left side panel too, which I hadn't thought about before seeing them.
1. There are some out there that have done what you are describing. The vernier do allow much finer adjustment. I don't think the ergonomics are any worse than the standard RV-8 quadrant location.
2. Drop-in
3. I should think four spacers for the mounting bolts and a mod to the cover would be about all that's needed.

Being able to run LOP is pretty nice and fine control of mixture is handy. You can see the mixture and throttle/prop quadrant on the left. It's exactly where my hand wants it to be.

25D7395C-BED1-4FF6-A001-A2E29EDB3D38_1_105_c.jpeg