Here's a PM I just got. Good thing I'm a moron:

Mike,
No offense, but are you sure you are ready to build an airplane? You seem to be having a lot of trouble with some pretty simple things.
These things are nothing like what you will run into during aircraft construction.
Best regards,
M**

Hahha! yeah, that's gonna stop me. Okay okay, I have a firey temper, but I'll manage.

By the way, the air hose thing is all sorted out now. No, I didn't buy the wrong size air hose or barbed ends, a little teflon tape and paste did the trick.

The message above incites my firey temper. Again. Shame on you.

I, too, have been questioned on "ability" or "readiness" to begin a building project. Experimental aviation is intended to be a learning experience. Yes, you can run into simple annoying things (to some), and you will have to overcome them by learning how to fix em. This goes for EVERYTHING! Wether its wiring, carpentry, air compressors, aviation, whatever. Learn it, do it, accomplish you dream.

The only people that do not have the ability to build a plane are the ones that are not willing or just simply cannot learn.

If your not that kind of person, you can make it happen!

Don't take it personally!

Mike,

I'm sure whomever sent that PM meant no harm or offense. On the one hand, we could say it was none of their business, but on the other this is a forum for advice and knowledge. I think you are the only one who can really answer whether or not you are prepared or skilled enough to successfully complete this project. One great thing about the Van's kits is the chance to work on the empennage before committing a LARGE chunk of money to move forward. By all means, you should certainly give it a shot. We will be here to help, but like any good teacher we may let you figure out a few things the hard way.:)

Roger
-9A slow QB

These are only comments in general, and strictly my own opinions; I don't know how anyone else feels about this. I hope no one here will be offended by my comments.
This is an open forum, but there is a private message side that should be used in that sense. Private messages should remain private! In most instances, the poster will use the private side to advise or make a recommendation, or point out an error that he feels might cause embarrassment if posted on the public side. One of the reasons that this forum works and is so popular is the "Total Civility" clause that Doug enforces.
I know of several builders who will either not post a question, or will not post their thoughts or answers since they have been "flamed" publicly here. There is probably a lot of useful advice and wisdom lost because "It's just not worth the aggravation."
On building airplanes, it is MY opinion that a certain level of mechanical aptitude should be present before undertaking such a task. There are those out there that will never have the ability, but then again they will probably end up far more successful than I ever will because intelligence usually wins out over handiness.
There are certain attributes I like to expect from pilots, the good logic in their decisions, their conservativeness, their cool-headedness to perform under pressure.
For a builder seeking advice on this forum, I like to see an openness and willingness to accept advice when it is asked for and given, and give thoughtful consideration to criticism when it is deserved.
Usually a quick, hot temper will not serve well for a pilot, or a plane builder.

All I'm saying is if you're not willing to say it out loud, it's not worth PM'ing to someone, kind of like if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. I thought his PM was sneaky, out of line, and cowardly.

You make a point, my frustration is worth a thought, but if this weren't hard or a challenge, it wouldn't be worth doing.

And finally and most importantly... What? Am I supposed to be born with a knowledge of air compressors and RV panel wiring? Geez!

Perspective

All I'm saying is if you're not willing to say it out loud, it's not worth PM'ing to someone, kind of like if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. I thought his PM was sneaky, out of line, and cowardly.

<SNIP>

Sending a PM is the web equivalent of "saying it to your face". That is hardly sneaky.

Think about it this way. If you were a lead man on a job and one of your guys was having trouble with something basic, would you call him out in front of the rest of the crew? or pull him aside and quietly let him know he should get some help?

Yeah, that PM was a little curt. But finishing a plane takes a huge amount of perseverance. Your original posts came across as pretty frustrated, and you're at the very beginning of the project. Nobody wants to see a builder give up, and I'm sure the poster was really just suggesting that you honestly evaluate your determination. Maybe you were just blowing off steam - but that's the problem with this communications medium. It's far from perfect.

You got a lot of straightforward technical responses to your original question. A lot of the members of this board are engineers, ex-military or both, and a lot of them are way past what I call the "loss of filter" age. They just call things the way they see them, and collectively they make up a huge, incredibly valuable knowledge base. All I can say is, if the PM you posted offends you, then you're probably going to stay constantly offended around here.

Extension cord for compressor

I got lucky, the outlet that I use to power the compressor is exactly the same distance as the cord is long. To that same outlet I have my power strip but I've never killed any lights. Usually because the compressor only runs when I'm using air tools. Can you run some wire to a smaller junction box to power the compressor only?

Just an idea.