Toolbuilder question ?
you reference optimizing the RPM advance for ROP and LOP very logically. I am struggling with how to consider MP advance/ retard values. Just leave them per Rosses 8.5 CR suggestion or ?
Thanks in advance

IDLE TIMING: . . . Using the LOP (or “flight test switch” as I like to call it), with the engine warmed up, note the MAP and RPM of your engine. Zero out the LOP value, select the LOP to active, and press the up arrow to add timing. In most cases, the engine will respond favorably to advance and continue to add RPM and smooth out until it peaks and begins to decline. The peak of RPM and/or smoothness is your engines “happy place”. Note that advance value and edit your curve to apply that timing to that RPM and MAP.

Note that the CPI-2 will not apply the LOP advance value if the RPM is below 1100, so you will need to start this procedure at or just above 1100. I'm able to idle lower than this with the electronic ignition, and was puzzled why adding LOP advance didn't do anything when idling around 800. Reading the manual helped me see the error of my ways.

Thank you for that clarification. Now that you mention it I’m not sure now that the CPI 1 advances timing with the LOP switch if below 1100….

It’s been awhile!

Toobuilder question ?
you reference optimizing the RPM advance for ROP and LOP very logically. I am struggling with how to consider MP advance/ retard values. Just leave them per Rosses 8.5 CR suggestion or ?
Thanks in advance
The way my mind works I break the timing adjustments down to 2 things: The "protect the engine" thing and the "optimize performance" thing... On takeoff with a rich mixture, I am in "protect" mode, sensitive to load on the engine and seeking detonation margin at the expense of the absolute last bit of power I can squeeze out of the engine. In this case I'm willing to back off timing quite a bit based on "load" (MP). Dyno testing shows that my engine does not really care too much about timing when full rich and fat air and a big reduction in timing does not hurt power much. So I run significantly reduced timing to satisfy the "protect the engine" part. At low(er) loads, like idle or LOP cruise, I know I can push right on the "optimum" timing with no danger of damage to the engine. So this is where I will spend some time in flight and collect the "best" performance values at my typical cruise conditions. One might look at the MP at every 500 feet from 7500 to 10.5 and plot the timing curve that results in peak TAS at each altitude block. This is the "optimize performance thing".

Once you have a bunch of data locked down in the "optimized" regions (like idle and cruise), then add in the "protect" values for TO, there's a reasonable complete ignition map right there. After that it's pretty simple to either smooth the curve to fill in the remaining blanks or go out and collect more test points.

One note on my methodology - I only optimized my curve at my typical RPM (2300) and altitude (8500) because that's where I spend 99% of my flight time (and I'm a little lazy too). Because my RPM does not vary in cruise, I disregard that as tuning opportunity. That said, if I had a need to sometimes run 2300 to 2700 in cruise, the MP tuning would likely be enhanced with an RPM advance component. For example, considering WOT and 8500 MSL, the engine may respond to different advance values at 2300 and 2700 RPM. The MP won't change that much with changing RPM, so the RPM signal becomes a dominant tuning aid. So for the purposes of defining a very detailed ignition map, one could run a series of flight test looking for the timing that delivers peak TAS from (for instance) 7,500 feet to 13,500 with data every 500 feet, RPM from 2300 to 2700 with data every 100 RPM, and repeat ROP and LOP. That would make a rich spreadsheet!

The way my mind works I break the timing adjustments down to 2 things: The "protect the engine" thing and the "optimize performance" thing... On takeoff with a rich mixture, I am in "protect" mode, sensitive to load on the engine and seeking detonation margin at the expense of the absolute last bit of power I can squeeze out of the engine. In this case I'm willing to back off timing quite a bit based on "load" (MP). Dyno testing shows that my engine does not really care too much about timing when full rich and fat air and a big reduction in timing does not hurt power much. So I run significantly reduced timing to satisfy the "protect the engine" part. At low(er) loads, like idle or LOP cruise, I know I can push right on the "optimum" timing with no danger of damage to the engine. So this is where I will spend some time in flight and collect the "best" performance values at my typical cruise conditions. One might look at the MP at every 500 feet from 7500 to 10.5 and plot the timing curve that results in peak TAS at each altitude block. This is the "optimize performance thing".

Once you have a bunch of data locked down in the "optimized" regions (like idle and cruise), then add in the "protect" values for TO, there's a reasonable complete ignition map right there. After that it's pretty simple to either smooth the curve to fill in the remaining blanks or go out and collect more test points.

One note on my methodology - I only optimized my curve at my typical RPM (2300) and altitude (8500) because that's where I spend 99% of my flight time (and I'm a little lazy too). Because my RPM does not vary in cruise, I disregard that as tuning opportunity. That said, if I had a need to sometimes run 2300 to 2700 in cruise, the MP tuning would likely be enhanced with an RPM advance component. For example, considering WOT and 8500 MSL, the engine may respond to different advance values at 2300 and 2700 RPM. The MP won't change that much with changing RPM, so the RPM signal becomes a dominant tuning aid. So for the purposes of defining a very detailed ignition map, one could run a series of flight test looking for the timing that delivers peak TAS from (for instance) 7,500 feet to 13,500 with data every 500 feet, RPM from 2300 to 2700 with data every 100 RPM, and repeat ROP and LOP. That would make a rich spreadsheet!
Thanks Michael , You make an insightful/useful point about MP varies differently in various regimes. I am comfortable with very conservative until somewhere in phase 1 you may start to play with high altitude or low rpm regimes where the MP response curve is different. Bottom line , my spread sheet starts with 22/23 at max power and around 29 for max advance at low power. That should keep things noisy up front . Credit goes here to previous post from another respected contributor 😊

Last edited: