MIlestone! Installed the canopy. I takes three people. One inside to guide the canopy release pin into the canopy hinges and two people on either side to guide the canopy into the hinges while holding it upright.

So, now it's on to finishing the wings!

Canopy Installed.jpg

Canopy Tilted by Bryan.jpg

Started back in to completing the QB wings. I have to close up the bottoms and install one access panel on the port side. I'll do the access panel first because it's pretty easy and I'm not sure how to reach all the rivets on the bottom skins, so something to think about.

Port Wing Lower Before Closing.jpg

Port Wing Lower Dimpling.jpg
Port Wing Lower Dimpled.jpg

Port Wing Lower Stiffener.jpg

Port Wing Lower Stiffener Below.jpg
Port Wing Lower Stiffener Clecoed.jpg

Port Wing Lower Cover Installed.jpg

On May 11 I started the process of closing up the lower skin on the starboard wing. I took some photos of the wing before closing it up so I would have documentation of how the autopilot is installed and wiring is routed in this area. The photos follow.

Wing Starboard Lower Skin Off.jpg

Wing Starboard Wiring Exposed .jpg

Wing Starboard Lights Wiring Exposed.jpg

Wing Starboard A:P Exposed.jpg

On May 11 I started working on figuring out how to rivet the bottom skin on the starboard wing. Turns out that reaching the most forward rivets isn't that difficult for one person if the skin is curled back and held in position with rachel straps.

Wing Starboard Lower Skin Riveting.jpg
Wing Starboard Lower Skin First Rivets.jpg

On June 5 the starboard wing was assembled and ready for painting. I started by scuffing the whole wing with maroon Scotchbrite. Then, I applied wash primer to the bottom of the wing. Tomorrow, June 6 I flipped the wing over and shot wash primer on the top.

Wing Starboard Paint Scuffing.jpg

Wing Starboard Paint Prep Scuffing 2.jpg

Wing Starboard PAint Prep Scuffing 3.jpg

Wing Starboard Wash Primer Applied.jpg

On June 6 the wash primer was completed and the urethane primer was applied to the top of the wing. On June 7 the urethane primer was applied to the bottom of the wing. Harriet and I competed in the Glenwood Rally in the MGB over the weekend, then on June 11 I sanded the urethane down in preparation for painting.

Wing Starboard Urethane Primer Applied.jpg

Wing Starboard Urethane Primer Sanded.jpg

After the urethane was sanded with P400 the paint was applied to the top of the wing. On June 12 the bottom was painted.

Wing Starboard Paint Applied.jpg

Over the past week from June 13 to the June 20 I cut and buffed the wing. Then, I attached the aileron and wingtip and cut and buffed them.

Wing Starboard Cutting Buffing Completed Aileron On.jpg

I decided to paint the wingtips where the landing and position lights go silver to match the fuse. I did this yesterday, June 26. 4 hours. Today, June 27, I assembled the wingtips landing and position lights and attached the wingtips to the starboard wing. Harriet helped me put the flap on yesterday. 3 hours.

Wing Landing Lights Painted.jpg

Wingtip Light Housing Painted.jpg

Wingtip Landing Light Closeup.jpg

Wing Starboard Assembled.jpg

Cowl Bodywork Completed

Got all the bodywork done on the cowls with the side pins hidden under the RV14A plaque. Everything fits well and the pins and Skybolts all go in with no issues.

View attachment 31681
I used the same pin hinge covers as these on my RV7. What did you do with the ends of the hinge pins behind the covers? Thanks Kloot

Attached the baffles.

View attachment 31685

View attachment 31684

Started fitting the snorkel. It was too wide by 3/4". So, I cut it in half and took a section out in the middle and epoxied/floxed it back together. After some bodywork, it looks pretty good. Primed it today and will paint it tomorrow.

View attachment 31683

I decided to add an extra access port in the bottom of the port wing. Two reasons: 1) obtain better access to the pitot and AOA hoses and wiring of the pitot heater and, 2) obtain better access to rivets for riveting the pitot tube and the forward-most skin rivets which otherwise can't be reached (at least by me).

Thanks to Wirejock for the hole cutter. It did the trick.

Wing Port Access Hole Cutting.jpg

Wing Port Access Hole Cut.jpg

Wing Port Access Hole Doubler.jpg

Wing Port Access Hole Doubler Mounting.jpg

Wing Port Access Hole DOubler Drilling.jpg

Wing Port Access Hole MOunted.jpg

Wing Port Access Hole Completed.jpg