rockyfatcat

IMG_7063.jpegIMG_7058.jpeg
In the middle of a panel upgrade. The panel support on the left goes from the firewall to the dash and is right where the display needs to go.

Surely someone has figured out how to remove this support and move it.

This will help you.
Im finally installing my panel this week and have room for a 10" GRT EFIS.

I cut the support at the top hole radius and bottom of the hole radius and removed the aft portion of the support. I then rivited an aluminum angle top and bottom going aft to the angle on top of the panel and to the fold on the bottom of the panel.

Cut the “ears” of the F-745-L/R off flush with the F-768 bulkheads. Reposition to support new panel, and fabricate angles to re-attach them to the F-768 bulkheads. I moved mine inboard to support the avionics stack.

What others have said - cut factory supports & relocate with sufficient structure to assure a strong final product. I also added brackets on the lower outer corners to the fuselage (yes - mine has an extended height panel). You did not mention - so I'll ask "What about long avionics that will penetrate the mid-bulkhead"? Attached are pic's of what I did, and they clearly shows how GTN navigator & GTR radio must penetrate the mid-bulkhead.

Attachments

• RV7 Tipper IP Supports moved - Hole for Deep Avionics added - pic's.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 33