Well........

Support is not the right word...they know what's going on with the RV-4 and now RV-8 orders made MINUS certain parts and just sell those parts and look the other way.

At OSH two years ago Richard VanG himself came over to look at my father-in-laws new Showplanes Fastback IO-540 powered RV-8. He looked it over good and said it looked great. I asked him what he thought and he said for SOME pilots, this (Super 8s, F1s and Rockets) is the way to go, guys who have the training, experience and common sense not to overfly the aircrafts and the pilots limitations, easy to do with these firebreathing engines/props/light weight. Van designs, provides kits and markets aircraft that are made for the masses. With 5,000+ RVs out there flying and with their incrdible popularity, he has achieved his goals, including safety. Vans said therefore he could not endorse what people do with his kits that pushes them beyond his conservative performace goals. But with the right guys and gals flying them, he likes them...unofficially of course.

Smart guy!

The Harmon Rocket IS an RV4...well sorta..

Dayton/Dennis,

My Rocket is an oldie HR2 built from Harmon plans number 76 back in 94'. It was the 8th or 9th to fly and has an RV4 tail with .020 tail skins and has has the newer Titanium gear legs installed with Lycon flowed cyllinders and 10.4:1 comp and a Hartzell 2 blade.
I talked to Van at SNF 04' and asked him if he would continue supporting the RV4 kits with the -8 so popular. He quoted (with THE RV grin) "what would the Harmon Rocket guys do if we discontinued the RV4"? :) Whether they would support an RV4 once it became a Rocket is up to you. When you buy Van's kit it says RV4, and I'm sure they will sell you parts with your builder number no matter what it becomes afterward. My Rocket's data plate says RV4...

Questions?

RR

Rockets in the Northeast...?

Anybody know of any Rockets in the Northeast ? I'd sure like to sit in one some time. I'd prefer one that's down for maintenance or still under construction so I would not be turned to the "Dark" side by going for a ride :).

John

Cheekless RV4 of which you speak

There is a gorgeous modified RV-4 built with a sliding canopy and no cheeks in existence somewhere in the US. It was built by Joe Meyer (?) in the Duncan, B.C. area and was sold to someone in the US. Someone undoubtedly can direct you to a picture of it. It is one of the most beautiful -4s I have seen.

Currently resides in the greater NW...............(Everett, WA KPAE)