RV-4 LSA?

Warning! This is not a typical RV topic. Most of the time people talk about wanting more power, speed and climb performance. All good traits if that's what your looking for, but I'm interested in the lower end of the performance curve. I'd like to build an RV-4 as per the plans, except for the following modifications.
- The plane would be built as a single seat airplane. I like to fly alone and have no need for the back seat. The back seat area would be used for light baggage. The baggage area wouldn't be used. This isn't realy a modification, there just wouldn't be a back seat.
- Install a Continental O-200. I know an O-200 is 50 to 80 pounds lighter than a Lycoming O-320 (depending on configurations) and it will change the CG of the plane. There wouldn't be a person in the back seat. The engine might still have to be mounted forward or ballist added to get the proper CG.

I'd be perfectly happy cruising around the pattern at 125 mph and climbing at less that 1000 fpm. The O-320 is a great engine, but I don't need to burn 6 to 8 gallons/hour just cruising around. The question I'd like to ask someone that's flying an RV-4 now is do you think an RV-4 with a 100 hp engine and a climb prop will get off the ground?
I am familiar with the Sonex, CX-4, Zenith, Mustang 1, etc.. I would like to build a plane with a certified aircraft engine, that handles well, has a low stall speed and won't fall apart in the sky.
An RV-4 built like this might even qualify as a LSA.
Thanks for any input,
Pete

Hi Pete....

...The first thing that came to mind was a Cessna 150. I instructed for years in the 0-200 powered airplanes and their weight, as I recall, is close to the -4, empty and gross and we flew two up most of the time.

I don't think you'd have any problem getting airborne at all. Build a simple day VFR airplane and it may well stall under 45. My RV-6A goes 140 MPH on 2000 RPM's. I'd bet that's close to 100 HP for my 0-360

Regards,

Last edited: