Those are people too

I would rather be a fireball in the sky than living in a hospice hotel with a diaper on.

Things may seem horrible to your imagination but people in that situation are alive and they have their experiences of life leading up to the current state. They are adapting to what opportunities they have. "The Stranger" by Albert Camus is good appreciation reading for the will to persist even in undesirable circumstances.

Bob Axsom

How timely. I JUST returned from my 50th HS class reunion, so the thread is relevant to my current thought process. 14 of my 71 classmates couldn't have been there. One died "doing what he loved to do." His name is on the canopy of my 9A-- "In memory of Capt. Bill Burkett."

Most of the other 13 took the more conventional route; this illness or that, a car wreck or two. They are all gone.

No one I have ever known was happier, or loved life more than Bill. I doubt I will go as did Bill (he was shot down in 'Nam) but I may go in from altitude. I take the precautions, I stay in practice, I try to keep the risks low. I really don't worry about it beyond that. I know that I am a better--and happier--man because I fly. I can't ever see changing that.

Perhaps we should all do one extra thing in preparation for that sure day not all that far in the future. I, and I hope you, know where I am going when that day comes.

Bob

Been there

In Oct 2007 on takeoff roll, when the RV8 tail wheel came up I had a windshield full of Lincoln continental on the runway in front of me.
Suffice it to say, I had a long time to think about it while I was staring at the ceiling, recuperating. It was my wife and all of my flying friends who helped me get through it. Sometimes you don't know how many really good friends you have until something like this happens.
Eventually, I decided that life is too short to waste it and I needed to get back with the program. In the last four years, we moved and I had to build a new hangar and workshop, but finally a new RV8 took to the air last July and I haven't looked back.
I've got a new outlook on life now, realizing it can be snuffed out at any second, no matter what you do to safeguard yourself. I just try not to invite disaster by doing stupid things, although I still have the occasional dumb a#% attack.
You can't guard against everything or everyone out there who is inconsiderate or just plain unaware.
I plan to continue building and flying as long as I can. In my opinion, the most dangerous part of flying is driving to the airport.

Okay. For the more "sensitive" types I wil modify my comments pertaining to Bananas. Henceforth they shall be referred to as "unspecified, overly riveted V-tails". Don't be so sensitive guys, all stereotypes are rooted in experience aren't they? Anyway I'm just kiddin'...sorta.
P.S. Although I've never stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, I have driven almost all the Bonanza models and no, I didn't wear a disguise so I must not really think that ill of them.

In the health field, one can calculate their risk of heart attack by tallying up all the risk factors; obesity, smoking, genetics, etc. My physician did such an assessment on me the last time I went in for a physical.

I'd like to see an interactive program that does a risk assessment for those who build and fly small aircraft. A broad spectrum list of risk factors such as personal health, type of aircraft, style of flying, quality of build, etc are presented for selection and a resultant risk assessment is generated. I'd bet there are many more risk factors than first meets the eye and consequently some of us are at much higher risk for tragedy than others. What is concerning is the person who flies with a long list of risk factors, but they are unaware of their condition. In the medical field this often has a tragic end.

I'm not against taking risks, only against not being fully aware of the risks taken.

My wife isn't big on me flying due to the risks, but I am honest with her and say that yes, flying is risky... but!

There is the HIGHEST risk flying: air races, combat, high risk flight testing.

The next HIGHEST risk flying: airshows

The next HIGHEST risk flying: showboating - "hey, watch this", flying low, flying night single engine over mountains, etc.

Then there is HIGH risk flying: IFR in bad weather

Then there is STANDARD risk flying: IFR or VFR in good weather with careful planning, and flying with wide margins of airspeed and altitude (staying out of the corners of the envelope)

If you do all your flying in the STANDARD risk category, and don't get complacent, you can mangage your risk to reasonable level. Still dangerous, but the danger is acknowleged and treated with respect and mitigated by training, experience, and good decision making.

I ride a motorcycle and treat it with similar respect. I am hyper-vigilant when I ride, always have an escape route picked out, and assume everyone in a car is trying to kill me.

One or the other of these activities may eventually get me, or I may spend my final days in a hospice bed fading away. I don't know which it will be, but I don't think I want to hide in my house, sit on a couch, and watch TV just to avoid risk. Where is the fun in that?

I am scared too

I built an F1 Rocket and learn to fly it. I fly my family and friends in it. I learn to race it. I learn to perform with it in my local Airshow in front of thousands of people. I built an RV 10 so I could take my whole family flying. I am scared every time I come into land and most times when I take off and sometimes in between.
When I had my first child I remember carrying her down the stairs and how scared I was and using the stairs would never be the same again.
I remember the first time a friend died in a motorcycle accident.
I remember the first time a friend died in an automobile accident.
I remember being struck by lightning and my brother dying.
I remember when a homebuilder pilot friend died in a sailing accident.
I remember when I decided to ride my bicycle to the hangar when I was building my F1 and I was struck by a dump truck.
I am taking my 16 old daughter driving and I am so very scared.
I remember 911. I was so scared for us, I cried like a child.
I remember Reno 2011. Why do we do this?
I hope I never get too scared to live.
Wayne

Last edited:
I built an F1 Rocket and learn to fly it. I fly my family and friends in it. I learn to race it. I learn to perform with it in my local Airshow in front of thousands of people. I built an RV 10 so I could take my whole family flying. I am scared every time I come into land and most times when I take off and sometimes in between.
When I had my first child I remember carrying her down the stairs and how scared I was and using the stairs would never be the same again.
I remember the first time a friend died in a motorcycle accident.
I remember the first time a friend died in an automobile accident.
I remember being struck by lightning and my brother dying.
I remember when a homebuilder pilot friend died in a sailing accident.
I remember when I decided to ride my bicycle to the hangar when I was building my F1 and I was struck by a dump truck.
I am taking my 16 old daughter driving and I am so very scared.
I remember 911.
I remember Reno 2011.
Wayne

I appreciate the way you put this.

I expressed to my CFI, after my PP and a good year of flying on my own, that I was often nervous, a slightly scared kind of nervous, before take off and at various times during a flight; she said "good".

I remember ...
Wayne

Very well stated, sir.
Reminds me of something I heard a U-2 pilot once say:

"As long as you turn final scared, you'll be alright."

I've been where you are. About a year ago I learned that my flight instructor who had turned 10,000 hours while I was with him was killed flying night IFR. It scared me a lot. He was the person in aviation that I looked up to the most. In my mind he could do no wrong, he was as natural in an airplane as I am walking. I really thought to myself, "if he can't do it, what business do I have trying?"

I wish I could, but I can't say what it is that got me over that feeling. In some ways I still haven't. But I can say that statistics were never part of the equation. Whenever I hear about statistics saying how dangerous a particular activity is, there's one that rules them all: "100% of people who participate in life will eventually die from it." You can't beat that one...

I've had two close calls about 26 years apart in airplanes. First time I was a recently soloed student who, upon turning final at an uncontrolled field in an Aeronca Champ, had the thrill of seeing the landing gear of a Comanche pass in front of the windshield about 3 feet above me as it came straight in to land in front of me. Always look twice turning base to final even at controlled fields. Second was landing my RV-4 in trees. In both cases the reaction came later when on the ground once I pondered how close I came.

But I still fly and will but try not to take too much for granted.

Here is one I have had stick with me over the years, it seemed to fit me well:
"A coward can sit in his house and criticize a pilot for flying into the mountain in a fog, but I would rather by far die on a mountainside than in bed. What kind of man would live where there is no daring?"
Don't know who wrote it, but Dick Rutan (flew around the world non-stop on one tank of fuel in a homebuilt plane called the Voyager with Jeanna Yeager) used to have it hanging in his shop. I have never forgotten it.

So if you're dead...what do you care how you died. Your family wants you around as long as possible. If your values place them anywhere near the top, you think twice before taking personal risks just because its gives you the rush you think you deserve. Sometimes it takes more courage to wear the diaper than to make your loved ones live without you. Just another "reflection".

I agree with this statement 100%.
My wife didn't sign up for me going out in a ball of fire, I owe it to her to stick around.
I wont stop flying but I do minimize my risk as much as possible.

Interesting thread

David,
I applaud your courage for putting your thoughts and feelings out there. I have to agree that this year has been bloody. Starting with Amanda Franklin and now Reno, with lots of other fatalities in between - and the year isn't over yet.
I'm still comfortable with the risks, but having just started flying my -8 this August my family (read wife) is really shook. I'm trying to take it easy and limit my flying with the hopes that time will help this problem.

It doesn't help that on my 3rd flight, a Lancair 235 augered in just :30 prior to my flight at a nearby airport and my wife got a phone call saying an experimental went down while I was up - not good.

I have resolved to be more cautious and if the boogey man gets me, so be it...

Last edited:
''A coward can sit in his house and criticize a pilot for flying into the mountain in a fog, but I would rather by far die on a mountainside than in bed. What kind of man would live where there is no daring?"
Some 25 years ago, a time I found myself surrounded by others who seemed quick to settle for life's low hanging fruit, I came upon that phrase and its few compelling words instantly resonated. So moved, I carried a copy of it around in my wallet for many years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which death is preferable to every other? "The unexpected".
Julius Caesar

"Nobody gets out alive."
Al Swearingen, "Deadwood"

Like the song goes, I'm not afraid of dying, I just don't want too...but, I'm firmly camped on the "die doing what you enjoy" side of things, and I hope my family understands that point of view as well.

We take risks every day, some more manageable than others, some greater than others but generally it doesn't stop us in our respective everyday lives.

I'm a train driver by profession, have had plenty of near-misses - a couple of nasty ones too - and each time I pondered doing something in an office from then on. But that's not me... I enjoy what I do, and dammit I'm not going to let some idiot who doesn't look before crossing the tracks, or someone intent on self-harm take away my livelihood and the satisfaction I get belting along with the sun coming up, windows open and stereo going.

It's the same with my flying. I'll conduct the flight best as I can, but im not going to let anyone spook me into giving it away before I choose to.

I don't think so!

My wife didn't sign up for me going out in a ball of fire, I owe it to her to stick around.

If I were to live life how my wife wanted I would spend most of it bored to death in the Garden, trolling round shops, and such like. No way is this gong to happen!! Flying came before I met my wife, bikes came before I met my wife,scuba diving came before I met my wife. They sign up living with how you enjoy spending your life.

Fortunately, my lady has tried all these with me, the only one she can't cope with s Scuba.......... which is far more dangerous than flying, But she loves the Harley, and the RV9.

Its my duty to me to hang around as long as I can to enjoy all these things, and in so doing I will have a long life with her. But should something go wrong its my duty to her to leave her financially cared for.

To be frank if I felt I were forced to stop any of these things I would be miserable and she would not want to live with me anyway.

I totally agree with all the comments about not taking undue risks, I don't like the word fear, or scared in relation to landings etc, I think apprehension is better. Fear can be a show stopper, apprehension makes sure you treat risk with proper respect.

Life as they say is not a dress rehearsal enjoy it while you can!!

It really does stick with you. It echos in my head quite often, and has become some sort of thought to live by I guess. I have such a hard time accepting the couch potato philosophy so many use. I will never forget when Dick Rutan told me that some years ago in Joplin Missouri..

Some 25 years ago, a time I found myself surrounded by others who seemed quick to settle for life's low hanging fruit, I came upon that phrase and its few compelling words instantly resonated. So moved, I carried a copy of it around in my wallet for many years.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which death is preferable to every other? "The unexpected".
Julius Caesar

"Nobody gets out alive."
Al Swearingen, "Deadwood"

My life?s mantra is:

When I?m lying on my deathbed, I don?t want to say, ?I wish I would have??.

My life’s mantra is:

When I’m lying on my deathbed, I don’t want to say, “I wish I would have…”.

........ and the last two checks I write on my death bed ( after all the money is almost gone) are to the undertaker and the IRS. I'll let you figure which one I am going to bounce. ;)

Hopefully, we all live a long and prosperous life, and have no items in our bucket list.

Lets all be as careful as we can, and hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst.

Last edited:

I would like to commend you on your aimanship Dave (see and avoid) and your contribution to flight safety by avoiding a mid air. Unfortunately, it is part of the flying risk these days and always has been. RVs are great for visibility which in turn add to their safety. Hope you keep dancing, best regards, Dwight

I have a golf buddy who was at Reno Friday. He was in the stands behind the box seats where the impact occurred. He said he watched the P-51 pull-up, roll-over and point straight down and him and his brother. He said there was no way, or time, to run. He told me, "All I could see was a P-51 spinner coming straight at me." He instinctively covered his face with his hands. The impact point was in front of him and he received a cut, requiring stitches, on his right hand. He's a retired police officer.

If you need a little inspiration and perspective, read "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand. It's the story of Louis Zamperini who broke records in track, spent 47 days floating rubber raft in the Pacific, and then was captured by the Japanese and held for two years in incredible conditions.

Everyday is a gift....

More safe?

I can honestly say that a close call a few years ago in the Navy made me a bit more safe, not that I was being reckless, but maybe got a bit too comfortable.

I am not afraid of dying in a plane crash, just one that I could have had a hand in preventing. My close call ended up being 20-25 minutes of "ok, here it comes, we are going to die now...NO! ok, keep flying...seriously, here it comes...NO, ok...." That was pretty bad! But I use it now with every one of my students as an example of complacency.

Opinions Needed

Does this thread have any redeeming value? Or does it need to DIE?

If you guys think it serves a purpose, then fine. Personally I don't see it!

The fire is still lit and the funk is gone. :)

Flew the RV today and as always it was a delight.

Figured out why the Bonanza got in so close and personal on Saturday, the aircraft was mostly hidden behind the roll over bar. I remember seeing the V tail and thinking what the heck is that? When I moved my head a bit, it all appeared.

Live and learn - there's a potential enemy everywhere and especially on the other side of the roll over bar.

Thanks to all for the comments here. We're mostly on the same page except the perspective on the subject does change with age for some. Some do quit out of respect for the risk involved, some don't. Such a decision is personal and certainly is not a measuring stick of courage. It is more a reflection of common sense and the realization that nothing last forever.

Yea, I may quit. But not just yet.

PS Just saw Mel's comment, lock it down or maybe delete the entire thread, you have the trigger. The initial post was an impulsive reaction to a very normal flying event and at one point wished I had not shared it.

Last edited:

Kill it if you must, but 80+ replies and 7400+ hits in 2 days seems to indicate pretty good interest as far as I can tell.

I for one think this thread serves the community has a whole and contains great value. It lets us (at the very least me) reflect on how we (I) perceive risk, family, life and the fulfillment of dreams and a life well lived.

I'm in the camp that is apprehensive every time I turn final (a good, healthy thing me thinks) and want to sit back sometimes 20 or 30 years down the road reflecting on a long, crash-free history. When I can't fly I hope to reflect on memories through my many logbooks and conversing with my friends online. Surrounded by grandchildren...

Last edited:
I think about this a lot.........

In 1995 I lost my brother & sister in law to an accident in the Moutains of Washington State. Authorities searched of them for two weeks to no avail. After that I went there and found the wreck in the mountains myself, nothing will ever take those images out of my mind. For ten years, I couldn't look at an airplane, my brother and I were very close as friends & in businesses. It was absolutely eating me mentally.

One day in 2006, I watched a friend test fly his RV6. For some unknown and inexplicable reason, I decided I wanted to build an RV6. Two weeks later I had a project. I would wake up from night sweats about nightmares of having to fly it one day by myself. Three years later I had an airplane, but no license. I learned to fly in my RV6, only airplane I have ever flown, got my license in it. The day I soloed all the baggage of the past came off.

Everytime I fly it, I know what can happen, but it is some type of weird therapy I can not explain to this day. All I know is "God knows your time & place."

I am going to LIVE until I die.

I for one think this thread serves the community has a whole and contains great value. It lets us (at the very least me) reflect on how we (I) perceive risk, family, life and the fulfillment of dreams and a life well lived.

I'm in the camp that is apprehensive every time I turn final (a good, healthy thing me thinks) and want to sit back sometimes 20 or 30 years down the road reflecting on a long, crash-free history. When I can't fly I hope reflect on memories through my many logbooks and conversing with my friends online. Surrounded by grandchildren...

I'm in your camp on this thread, Doug. Anything that makes one sit back and reflect on these issues is OK in my book. It has been quite a while since I have had something really scare the #%X* out of me in an airplane, but the last one was pretty similar to David's. It was a Mooney instead of a Bonanza, and I was flying a Bonanza, but I remember the shock, and I know I have always been more vigilant since that incident. I also agree with David's observation that age changes how one feels about managing risk. I don't plan on quitting any time soon, but I don't waste testosterone growing hair any more either, so maybe that is the explanation!:D

I'm in the camp that is apprehensive every time I turn final (a good, healthy thing me thinks) and want to sit back sometimes 20 or 30 years down the road reflecting on a long, crash-free history. ..

I'm with ya....20 or 30 years down the road (maybe 30 or 40 for me :p) I'll reflect on a long, 1 crash history!! :D

Some say it's not IF but WHEN. I figure I already had mine so I'm GOOD TO GO!!

I think it's a great thread...

I go through these funks too and I'm in one right now. I have noticed that it has to do with how much I'm flying and the more I fly, the better I feel. That's still not the solution though.

Life has changed for me since I started flying. I'm now married (wife loves to fly) and have a 16 month old son. Even though she loves to fly it doesn't take away the responsibility I feel for her or our son. Fortunately we are at the really expensive part of the project (engine and panel) and that's keeping me on the ground while we get the cash together for those. But at some point the project will be done and it will be time again. I'm hoping that same desire to fly and the adventure it brought earlier in life fills my veins again. We will see.

I have lost too many friends to aviation over the past 6 months and it eats at me. I have friends who ask about my passion for flight, I can only think of one way to describe it. "It similar to what a drug addict experiences. It's something you can't live with because it can chew you up from the inside out, but it's also something you can't live without."

I'm hoping that fire gets lit again once the project is over, but having a young kid and wife changes my perspective. If the kiddo were out of the house I might feel some relief to that pressure.

I think it would be interesting to see what other responsibilities the respondents have and how long they've had them. I bet new dads may not feel all the pressures because they still haven't figured out the dad game yet. I bet many in my phase of life share the same concerns. I bet those later in life with grown kids might not feel the same level of responsibility. Those who never have had kids might feel even less. And those who have been single forever might never really worry about it. But it's something I worry about daily.

Hope it all goes away soon, but I don't want to claim my wife's life or my sons. Or my own for that matter because I don't want him to grow up without me or her to have to live without me.

It is an interesting phase of life, that's for sure. One thing is certain and that is life is always changing seasons.
Phil

Last edited:
Yep

I've also read all these posts and do reflect on life a lot.

In the Ag aviation industry, we've already had 7 fatalities and over 70 accidents, this year! Despite the PAASS program (Professional aerial applicator support system) and much good advice from older guys like me, the numbers seem to stay the same from year to year.

The threat is real, for us to fly into a center pivot irrigation system, powerlines or tractors and trees, so coming home at night, in one piece, with no damage to the airplane is very rewarding.

To me , the challenge of doing a difficult job well, the best I can for my fellow man (customer/farmers), is incredibly rewarding and the risk is managed to the best of our abilities and I wouldn't have it any other way....neither would my wife!

Best,

"It similar to what a drug addict experiences. It's something you can't live with because it can chew you up from the inside out, but it's also something you can't live without."

Good way to put it. I've described it to other people asking me the same question as something akin to a moth's attraction to a flame. You know it's dangerous but you're going there anyway because you have to.

I'm with ya....20 or 30 years down the road (maybe 30 or 40 for me :p) I'll reflect on a long, 1 crash history!! :D

Some say it's not IF but WHEN. I figure I already had mine so I'm GOOD TO GO!!

That's funny right there. I also can reflect back on my one crash history. And my friends are NOT afraid to fly with me because they figure I'm "pre-crashed". :D

And I'm also in the camp that I'm a bit puckered every time on final. Crash and rebuild an experimental and you hear and (a bit) fear every little anomaly all the time when flying. Then I hop in a T6 and remember each and every time that the plane is called "the pilot maker" for a reason.

I think it's good and healthy to stay "on edge" a bit when you're flying.

Maybe it has run its course, but to not see any value in this tread? No it is not about building, but one of the best aviation / piloting threads I have read in a very long time.

Move it to the safety forum. Such reflections and attitudes have everything to do with piloting.

Mel! :eek:

Most of the other threads are about building airplanes, this thread is about building pilots. ;)

Thanks Dave,
I have been thinking about this thread alot and while flying. Dave, you gave me a reason to contemplate life and what it means to me to be "alive". From time to time we all need to pause and reflect on life and what it means. Life does not mean the same when you are 16 as it does when you are 75.... at least I hope not! Next time you are in a funk post it. ;)

Last edited:
I just want to thank those that have spoken openly about their concerns. I'll confess that having a two year old son has changed my perspective more than I could have predicted. I'm not flying right now cuz I'm just too busy with other things but would like to get back at it. When I was single and childless I can honestly say I never thought twice about dying. I figured it would only be a few seconds of fear and then lights out, probably better than what most folks experience at the end. But now I'm gripped by the thought of my wife having to tell my boy that daddy's gone and not coming back. He loves me sooooo much and a boy needs his father. Of course I could have a stroke tomorrow from the bacon this morning too. So whatcha gonna do, give up bacon?!:eek: I feel pretty sure that if I was a single dad I would give up risky activities, but as a married guy I'm not so sure how to handle it. Sorry for the lack of a clear point, I just wanted to share where I'm at.

Not flying?

In the health field, one can calculate their risk of heart attack by tallying up all the risk factors; obesity, smoking, genetics, etc. My physician did such an assessment on me the last time I went in for a physical.

Don't you believe it. It can be predicted that, while driving, you are more likely to hit a deer while in a state that has deer than in a state that doesn't. Don't believe for a minute that it can be predicted that you WILL hit a deer.
I had a heart attack a year ago and have no known "risk factors". Flying was taken from me suddenly and without my consent.
Enjoy what you can, while you can because you don't know what tomorrow will bring.
I'll be in the air again and I'm preparing for it by building an RV. In the mean time the Cardinal is training my wife to fly. To not believe that I'll fly again is too upsetting to consider.

Last edited:
Awareness

First, this has been one of the best threads the forum has had for some time. Don't kill it. It is cathartic and good for all of us.

My entire adult life has been lived in a high risk environment. I began my law enforcement career at age 18. At 23 I got my PPL fixed and rotary wing. At 48, 30 years to the day, I retired from law enforcement. During that career, I was in 7 car accidents. Only 1 was serious and I was down for a couple of weeks. Only one was my fault and very minor in nature.

Shot at twice. I know what a bullet sounds like going by your ear. Nearly stabbed once. Incurred a few injuries from fights during arrests.

All during this career I continued to fly. I established an aviation program for my agency and flew in the Unit. I did 3 different hitches in aviation between promotions.

After I retired, I made building my 7 a full time job. 3.5 years into retirement I was convinced to take a job flying medical helicopters. I also talked my good buddy and RV9 builder, Glenn Brasch, into coming out of retirement. His career is very parallel to mine.

Now, I fly great equipment in a challenging environment. We fly at night with NVG's into areas that are darker than two feet up a cows butt!!! Fun stuff.

I've lost friends and family to car crashes, plane crashes and to cancer. I've lost fellow officers to car crashes, stabbings, shootings and other trauma. I've lost friends in the medical business to crashes.

Everything is a risk. I'm more concerned about driving home than flying the helicopter into a black hole in the middle of the night. It his how we handle these risks. It is situational awareness of our every act that will get us through. Training, knowledge and experience. Plan, analyze, act, review, adapt. It applied in LE and it applies to flying and it applies to virtually everything we do.

I'm very grateful for this thread. People sharing their experiences and life's trials and tribulations gives us more information to proceed with life.

Thanks everyone. This has been very helpful to me!!!

A lot to lose

I would much rather be in the air with a bunch of guys like you that have a lot to lose if something goes wrong than pilots with nothing to lose. I have a lot to lose, and I believe it makes me a better pilot. I think about the risks of flying before, during, and after every flight, and do whatever I know how to do to mitigate these risks.

We clearly have to accept some risks related to flying, keeping the heart ticking, or walking across the street, so "plan B" is to at least make sure that the family is taken care of financially.

Mel! :eek:

Most of the other threads are about building airplanes, this thread is about building pilots. ;)

Thanks Dave,
I have been thinking about this thread alot and while flying. Dave, you gave me a reason to contemplate life and what it means to me to be "alive". From time to time we all need to pause and reflect on life and what it means. Life does not mean the same when you are 16 as it does when you are 75.... at least I hope not! Next time you are in a funk post it. ;)

Can't believe I MISSED your 75th birthday! Happy belated birthday.

Pete