LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
pog09.gif

My vacation down to the desert southwest, and the opportunity to see a few of my Oshkosh pals , has motivated me to get started on planning the annual RV Builders Family Reunion for Oshkosh -- also known as Piece of Grass, since that's what we provide -- a piece of grass to sit or stand upon for several hours of story-swapping.

If you're unfamiliar with the event over the years, go here:

It appears as though EAA has raised camping rates again -- $22 a night this year. I plan on buying 6 sites to give us room to spread out. I get there on Friday and have to pay for the sites through Wednesday night, so we're looking for donations at this point.

All the details of the evening are here:

Don't RSVP yet. I'm hoping to raise enough -- or near enough -- by June 1 to definitely hold the POG. At that time, I'll be looking for a head count.

WhooHoooo

Bob, it was great seeing you and your wife on your visit to AZ. Hope the Mexican food wasn't too hot for you.

The following week RV Brother Jeff Point and his wife Sally came to town to take in some baseball games. Took them to the same place and they ran into some more Brewer fans from Milwaukee there. Well at least we know there are 4 of them.

Can't wait for Oshkosh and PoG 2010. We need a theme.

Stein, send some of my money to Bob to get this thing rolling!!!!!!!

Hope to be there

I'm planning on being there. I'll drop for a camp site/day or two and some "pop". Do they sell Alaskan Amber in WI?

Hawaiian Shirts ..

... are a great idea!. And if there's no Alaskan Amber in central WI, they ALWAYS have Spotted Cow. :D:D

In the mail

Bob, it was great seeing you and your wife here in Tucson and from reading your blog, happy to see you had a good and safe trip home. My donation is in the "PayPal Mail". Hope others follow suit. See you at OSH! Glenn

You've probably already counted me on RB, but to be sure...I'll be there, "Hawaiian" shirt and all!:cool::cool:

It's been our secret to date, but ...

...four of us flatlanders here developed a logo and T-shirt for the "Spotted Cow Flying Society". We've talked about offering them for sale to RVers at OSH. :D

Bill Lumbergh: Oh, and remember: next Friday... is Hawaiian shirt day. So, you know, if you want to, go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans.

Quoting 'The Dude', "I'll be there, man!"

This post from DR makes me think of a "Dude" theme... sorta like a little Lebowski Fest at Oshkosh. A lotta ins, lotta outs, lotta what-have-yous.

Bill Lumbergh: Oh, and remember: next Friday... is Hawaiian shirt day. So, you know, if you want to, go ahead and wear a Hawaiian shirt and jeans.

Just remember, with every decision you make, ask yourself, "Is it good for VAF?"

LOL

Camping spot.

Bob,

Just made a donation to the cause. I think it is the best value of the week. As a camping veteran, how early do I need to reserve my camping spot in that area to get one? I am going to be up there a week early to help mow for the weekend, is that soon enough in that area? If you would like more space, could we rope off one of the adjacent spaces as my campsite, and just spill over into my camp area, then I would pay for my space for the week as normal, perhaps helping the cause in the process. Thoughts?

Ben

Bob,

Just made a donation to the cause. I think it is the best value of the week. As a camping veteran, how early do I need to reserve my camping spot in that area to get one? I am going to be up there a week early to help mow for the weekend, is that soon enough in that area? If you would like more space, could we rope off one of the adjacent spaces as my campsite, and just spill over into my camp area, then I would pay for my space for the week as normal, perhaps helping the cause in the process. Thoughts?Ben

Ideally, yes, it would be good to have RV neighbors for just that reason. At one time I staked out spots for people but I don't anymore. It became a giant time suck and it also became a problem if people didn't show up and the area around me was filling up. Plus I didn't pay for the spots I staked out.

Plus that location is pretty far out for a lot of Oshkosh goers who are under the mistaken impression that the best of Oshkosh is down at the flightline. :D

When I get there, on Friday, there isn't anyone within 1/4 mile of me ('cept for that one campsite across the creek and south of Elm that's out in the field by himself). Last year, it started to fill around me by Sunday afternoon which is a little earlier than usual (I think a lot of people chose to vacation closer to home last year because of the economy).

If you're going to be there to help mow, you can stake out your area (in fact, you can stake out MY area too... use the GPS coordinates on the page). But depending on when you're coming in to actually camp, it could be problematic.

Mowing @ OSH.

Bob,

I would be happy to stake out the POG '10 while I am up there mowing. I believe Chad Jensen will be there as well, I will recruit him to help me. We were up there last year together mowing, and I think he is planning to go again this year. If one week before the show is early enough, I would be happy to stake it out to save you a trip. I will contact you a bit closer to then to iron out the particulars. I won't be at OSH until Tuesday to claim my spot though, so I don't know how to work that end of my camping spot with it being marked at the beginning of the show. How does that work? The only other time I camped, we just showed up and found a spot then.

Ben

Early arrival....

I'll be coming into the area on Friday night. So if anyone needs a hand mowing or whatever that late in the game, I'll be around.

Just shoot me a PM and I'll give you my cell.

Phil

Time to RSVP

UPDATE #1

Thanks to 20 generous individuals, we've got enough raised for four campsites. That should be enough to hold this thing. Now let's find out who wants to attend. Go to the Web site, and click the link for your RSVP.

If you're not sure if you can attend, it's probably best NOT to RSVP until closer to AirVenture.

Just made my donation to partially fund POG'10. Always a good use of an evening at OSH!

I'll be there, man. (quoting the dude)

Bob--

I'm in, with the normal caveats regarding Crew Scheduling, therefore didn't want to RSVP. Count me as you'd like.

Joe

I'm in

I RSVP-ed to your e-mail, but, yes, I'm in. Back to coach people in the Wright Flyer again this year. :)

Added to the RSVP count. Thanks to United frequent flier miles, I have a committed plan to attend this year.

Bob,

You do have me and my wife on the list, right???

We donated for the space, so I just assumed you knew we'd be there.

Phil

Bob,

I am planning on being there. I will likely have my wife along with me. I will be driving up unless OSH is in my Phase I "box". I can bring anything that is needed (grill, firewood, Sprecher, Spotted Cow)

Last edited:
Bob,

I just shot you an e-mail from the link on the website. Rookie here, so is that your preferred method for us to say "I'm in"? I'd also like to contribute...is there a recommended donation amount?

We're in for 4 (my two sons, my Father-in-Law and me). We'll be in a trailer in Sleepy Hollow, so let us know if we can help in any way.

Flying in the AVC, so its OSH #1, AVC #1 and PoG #1 for us...a trifecta of three letter identifiers! Looking forward to seeing the "family" at the reunion! :D

Cheers,
Bob

Flying in the AVC, so its OSH #1, AVC #1 and PoG #1 for us...a trifecta of three letter identifiers!

Lordy, Bob. You sure you don't work for the federal government with such a fondness for acronyms! :rolleyes:

Bring the kids by the Federal Pavillon to try out the Wright Flyer simulator. Pretty fun! I look forward to seeing you there.

Bob,

I just shot you an e-mail from the link on the website. Rookie here, so is that your preferred method for us to say "I'm in"? I'd also like to contribute...is there a recommended donation amount?

We're good $-wise. Folks might want to bring along some snacks or extra beverages to share with those too unfortunate to bring their own. At this point, I'm just looking for a general head count. After all these years we have a pretty good formula for determining the actual number of people who will show based on the number of people who say they will. :rolleyes:

Bob,

I would be happy to stake out the POG '10 while I am up there mowing. I believe Chad Jensen will be there as well, I will recruit him to help me. We were up there last year together mowing, and I think he is planning to go again this year. If one week before the show is early enough, I would be happy to stake it out to save you a trip. I will contact you a bit closer to then to iron out the particulars. I won't be at OSH until Tuesday to claim my spot though, so I don't know how to work that end of my camping spot with it being marked at the beginning of the show. How does that work? The only other time I camped, we just showed up and found a spot then.

Ben

Not sure how I missed your post Ben, but yes, I will be up there with ya for the mowing weekend. I plan to stake my spot while up there, which is very near (across the river ;) ) from Bob's spot...:cool:

Forgot to mention it.

Sorry Chad,

I had noticed you had not replied to that yet, and was going to tell you I implicated you, ;)
Forgot to bring it up. But now I got ya.
See you tomorrow night.

Ben

Lordy, Bob. You sure you don't work for the federal government with such a fondness for acronyms! :rolleyes:

Bring the kids by the Federal Pavillon to try out the Wright Flyer simulator. Pretty fun! I look forward to seeing you there.

Louise, we will definitely be at the FP to see you! Already told the boys about it!! On the acronyms...does 28.5 and counting in the Navy count as governent service? ;) No one does acronyms better than the Navy!! Just ask my CINCPACHOUSE! (Commander-in-Chief, Pacific House...OK, we now live in Nevada, so its CINCPACNVHOUSE...she's the one letting me go to OSH with her Dad and our two boys as she sweats through nursing school...might have to bring back a T-shirt! :rolleyes:)

We're good $-wise. Folks might want to bring along some snacks or extra beverages to share with those too unfortunate to bring their own. At this point, I'm just looking for a general head count. After all these years we have a pretty good formula for determining the actual number of people who will show based on the number of people who say they will. :rolleyes:

Roger that Bob...spares and extras will be in tow...how far is Sleepy Hollow from PoG? Need to know how big a wagon to get! :)

RSVP'ed.

Yup, I'll be "livin' in a van down by the river" with Chad again this year.

Man, sounds like I need a good map or photo layout of the grounds, so I can find all the RV bro and sis hangouts from Sleepy Hollow! Anybody ever put together such a thing...or is it easy once you see it?

Like Flounder said in Animal House, "This is gonna be great!" I have my aloha shirt ready...but speaking of Animal House...what night is the toga party? :D

Cheers,
Bob

Roger that Bob...spares and extras will be in tow...how far is Sleepy Hollow from PoG? Need to know how big a wagon to get! :)

Sleepy Hollow is a couple of miles away. Keep in mind if you're not staying in the campground, you can't drive into the campground. However, if you come up from the show, I can give you a ride back to your car if it's parked down there or to the campground. I usually spend an hour or so shuttling people back to HBC and various parking lots. Not a big deal.

Thanks Bob, roger that. We do have a rental car, but sounds like we'll need to figure out some logistics for getting around. I'm a willing DD as well, if you need some help with shuttling folks around.

Cheers,
Bob

On the Web site there is a map of where people can park etc. and how they can get to the spot via various means. I do have to update it with the new configuration of the grounds, however, and will try to do that well before we actually NEED the information.

Distance from Sleepy Hollow

In response to the earlier post about the distance from Sleepy Hollow to POG it is about a 10 minute walk. We stayed there last year and there is an opening along the fence on the South West side of the Sleepy Hollow that feeds right into Scholler.

Aw MAN!

Bob,

I must admit, I am HUGELY disappointed!
However, I completely understand. I appreciate the work you have done to this point, and commend you on your efforts this year, and years past.

Everyone else, I don't know if this is the place to put this or not, but any VAFers that are going to camp, perhaps we could try to get into at least a reasonable vicinity of each other. Once we find out where we are able to camp.

Thanks again Bob,

Ben Schneider

However, I completely understand. I appreciate the work you have done to this point, and commend you on your efforts this year, and years past.

Keep in mind all we know at this point is it's not practical to have it in the campground (thus the return of funds since they were for campsite). There might be some other options, though I can't think of any at the moment. (Although moving to Ardy and Ed's has occurred to me)

ardy_eds_exterior.jpg

After this year, we'll have a better idea what the future viability of the campground is.

My wife's been wanting me to rent a house on the lake for a few years now. Maybe that's a possibility for a party. Although there's every possibility that this is the last year I'd stay in Camp Scholler anyway. One of of these years I'll be under N614EF's wing (though I prefer the south 40 than HBC)

Last edited:
What about the Blue Parking Lot?

What about the Blue Parking lot? It is near the campground and would be cleared out about the time we want to gather anyhow. Just a thought. I hope we can find an alternative. I'd like to see my fellow VAF buds.

Bob - In this age of smart phones and texting and e-mail, I still think we could get the word out to most folks who are interested. If you're there on Friday, you could get word to some folks who could have the location up on some web sites by Saturday. You could maybe also have a cadre of people who would be willing to have their phone #s posted here on VAF that people could call to get the info (I'll volunteer). A few signs at pre-arranged spots, and maybe even a big lime-green balloon to mark the spot for those who can't read or use a phone;), and you've got a party. It's puts a little responsibility on those who'd like to attend to seek out the location once they get to OSH, but that doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

-s

Bob - In this age of smart phones and texting and e-mail, I still think we could get the word out to most folks who are interested.

It's a time suck. Some people don't understand why an event in a piece of grass takes any time at all to put together and I guess I understand their attitude, but the reality is quite different. From Monday morning to Wednesday, the phone rings pretty much nonstop with people wanting directions etc. And around 5 on Wednesday, I start getting calls from people who are lost and I end up going to pick them up. (Check out the Web site with the detailed instructions on how to find it. And yet people still got lost)

Usually a lot folks don't even know about this until Wednesday afternoon. They might've heard it from someone else and then they call asking if they can come and, oh by the way, where is it?

I'm not opposed to doing that, but that's what it's like even when we KNOW where we're going to be.

You're right of course, in this age of smartphones, communicating information is quicker than ever before, and many people would be able to find it. But because many don't, it does creates an additional task. And this year I've been asked to help train people working for EAA radio on how to recognize, get, and produce feature stories for the week, so there'll be less time to do some of these mundane things.

Oh, and there's another problem: I don't HAVE a smartphone and the big perk on my pay-as-you-go cellphone is a flashlight, if you push enough buttons. But I've never figured out how that works. (g)

But, again, until we see what the effect is of displacing so many people in the campground -- or see how many people are displaced -- it doesn't make a lot of sense to have it in Scholler. Theoretically, we might see a LOT of empty campsites (hookups) as you walk closer to the show, and full ones as you get farther back toward the highway. Which, I guess, is great news for the truckers who like to lean on their horns at 2 in the morning.

EAA has indicated this is one big experiment and if the hookups are a success, then there'll be even more next year. And I suspect it will be a success but the POG certainly can't afford to buy 4 or 5 $41-a-night/no-refunds-for-unused-nights spots, so it's as good a time as any to find a new location.

Usually after the event, a small crowd of invitees hangs around well into the night, sitting by the campfire and someone will remark, "Now, THIS is Oshkosh." That old-time campsite vibe was a really important part of this deal.

An RV-building pal has given me the lead on one that I'm pursuing. It also might make sense just to add an "after party" to the Van's dinner and just hang out in the grass down by the Nature Center. Or maybe we all go early to the Fly-in movie area.

Lots of ideas are possible.

Last edited: