Would you care to show us the figure Walter refers to above? If we could see it perhaps we might explain it.

I don't have the figures that RV10INOZ refers to, but the NASA study that he mentions basically showed that exhaust valve temperature is more closely related to CHT than EGT. The reason for this is that the the valve is in constant contact with the head through the valve stem and anytime the valve is closed. This contact has a larger impact on valve temperature then the periods during which it is exposed to the flowing exhaust gases. The other implication of this is that burned valves are a symptom of poor valve to seat contact, not the cause (more continuous thermal exposure to leaking combustion gases, and lack of seat contact when closed prevents some thermal conduction to the seat/head).

Skylor

I don't have the figures that RV10INOZ refers to, but the NASA study that he mentions basically showed that exhaust valve temperature is more closely related to CHT than EGT.

You probably mean NACA, circa WWII. I have many of those; they're available to all at a NASA-run server. I'll link three below.

The oddity Walter notes is apparent in Fig of NACA 754. However, the snippet David posted refers to mixture in terms of EGT rather than mixture ratio as found in the old papers. So, I suspect the referenced paper was some later document from Lycoming....thus my request.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=676074&postcount=18

The other implication of this is that burned valves are a symptom of poor valve to seat contact, not the cause (more continuous thermal exposure to leaking combustion gases, and lack of seat contact when closed prevents some thermal conduction to the seat/head).

Agree entirely. Personal opinion, but I think machining error is the #1 cause of burned valves, not operator error.

Agree entirely. Personal opinion, but I think machining error is the #1 cause of burned valves, not operator error.

Others including me share this view as well. Actually, I think the lack of machining may be more responsible. It is my understanding that Lyc & Continental don't perform any machining of the valve guides or seats after the guides are pressed into the head casting...at least that was supposedly the case 10 or 15 years ago. If true, I'm not surprised that valve issues are relatively common. This practice is quite different from the machining experience I have with air cooled automotive cylinder heads where the guides are reamed to size after installation, then the seat bores are fly-cut, seats pressed in, and finally ground all while using the guide for proper positioning.

I've heard it said that if one gets a "good" engine, they can do almost anything to it (withe the mixture knob) and it'll go to TBO, and of course the opposite is true with a bad one.

Skylor

oversquare ops

As a point of reference we've operated Lyc IO-540's (both parallel and o'head valve) at 2 to 3 inches oversquare and power settings of 65% or less for many years with no apparent problems. We did choose smooth operating RPM's. One 300 HP Lance engine on its 3rd run developed crankcase cracks. Do these in any way seem related to the oversquare ops?

I am confused by the apparent conflicting conclusions presented by APS. On one hand we have this statement: "For conforming Normally Aspirated Engines, operating on conforming 100LL fuel, there are essentially zero incidents of true detonation." and on the the other hand we are hearing that they are demonstrating knock on atmo engines using this fuel. Which is it? Or are they demonstrating knock using a turbo engine and 91 octane fuel?

Arguably the people racing Sport and Supersport classes at Reno know more about detonation and high power running of traditional aircraft engines than almost anyone (the factory reps there say as much- "we don't know what happens after 70 inches"). I've been involved with several projects over the last several years including the 2010 Super Sport race winner. Even the non ADI equipped engines are making over 600hp on 100LL so factoring out the higher rpm used, BMEP is DOUBLE what a standard 260 hp O-540 is achieving. Detonation is not a factor here even with non-retarded ignition timing. So how is it that APS is measuring detonation at HALF the BMEP on standard engines? Makes no sense.:confused:

The causes and factors of knock have been investigated for many decades- primarily they are: spark advance, IAT, AFR, MAP, CR, EBP and chamber temp. The relative effects of these are well documented by many sources, one of my favorites is the 1952 book by Joseph Liston and professor at Purdue. This offers an amalgamation of much of the research done in the '40s and '50s in the US by the aero and auto industries/ NACA as well as references done by Harry Ricardo and Miller before that. There was also some very interesting testing done in Oz in 2000 with a highly instrumented Toyota 3S-FE.

With regards to valve temperatures, what is APS saying is the heating mechanism if not exhaust gases when the exhaust valve is open? Combustion event? If so then it serves to reason that intake and exhaust valve temps would be similar. We certainly know that is not the case since intakes run around 400F cooler than exhaust valves and the reason why different alloys are used. How is APS measuring valve temperatures? What type of knock sensing hardware are they using? How far down the port are the EGT thermocouples?

RV10inOZ- "EGT has no measurable effect on exhaust valve temperature. If one thinks it might, one must explain why as the EGT goes up from 25dF ROP to Peak EGT, that the exhaust valve temperature is going down. That little fact screws up that idea." By the wording here, I'm not quite clear what you are saying about EGT vs. exhaust valve temperature. Are you saying that exhaust valve temp is lower at peak EGT? If so, I think there are a couple factors that could explain that.

On the Conti 550 Reno racer, we data log multiple channels of temps and pressures through the JPI. Near best power AFRs where we operate at, I can assure you that CHT, EGT and ITT all decrease with an increase in FF. We are more concerned with going too rich which results in a power loss but balancing this with a need to limit ITTs. My Turbo Subaru in my RV responds the same way as does every other engine I've ever dynoed over the last 30 years. If APS is seeing something different, I'd be very interested to know why.:confused:

Does anyone have any solid data showing an atmo 8 to 1 Lycoming or Continental using standard ignition timing, CHTs within limits etc. can be made to knock on 100LL at say 5000-8000 feet DA, even running at peak EGT? Seems to me if this was true, there would be a lot of broken engines given that 20+ years ago, most aircraft engines were leaned by the "rough and richen a bit" method, without real instrumentation. With mags, "rough" might be 17-18 AFR, richen a bit takes you to 15-16 AFR which corresponds to peak EGT roughly. Chances would be that many were cruising very close to peak EGT for most of their lives and probably most still went to TBO. Highly unlikely they would last detonating all this time.

Last edited:
I have asked this question before but so far have never been able to get a direct answer or find someone running my setup LOP. I have a IO360 with dual lightspeeds and the ECI fuel injection system. I have 10 to 1 compression pistons. Do you have any data on LOP operations with high compression pistons? The engine seems to run fine LOP. I have been running very low power settings at 3500 hundred feet and LOP. I see about 6.6 GPH with about 19 inches of MAP. This makes for a very economical just cruising around operation. I see about 145 knots true in the above situation.
Normal cruise at 8500 feet is 10.8 GPH when 75 ROP at 182 knots true with full throttle. I can go about 50 LOP and ff drops to 7.8 GPH and I am still getting 165 knots true. I would love to make that my normal cruise setting for cross countries but the high compression pistons keep worrying me and other then short term experimentation I have not done that on a long flight.
What are your thoughts?

George
I am reluctant to comment around all of these engine gurus on this thread as I am, by no means, a member of such a group. Given that as it may, I fail to see where you could be causing damage to your IO360 running LOP at higher altitude cruise. If you are cruising at 8500' and pull the mixture until you go LOP I cannot imagine you will be able to get to that high power point where detonation would occur as long as you are keeping your CHT's within a normal operating temperature.

When contemplating running LOP, both EGT and CHT temperatures are two of the important measurements that are important to monitor. You do not tell us what either temps for your cylinders were in your post. What were your EGT's and CHT's when you were running ROP? When running LOP? It would be interesting to know what your CHT's were showing when you did run at LOP? In my experiences, my CHT's running ROP are in the 360-390 range. When running LOP (at any altitude) they tend to run around 285-320 range. At these temperatures I am thinking pre-ignition or pre-detonation would be very difficult, if not out right impossible. Guru's, is this a fair assumption?

Of course, this is just my opinion based upon what I have learned reading from many of the above mentioned guru's writings, reading the Deakin data, GAMI data, etc, along with my experiences running my 9.1 to 1 compression IO340 engine LOP. It sounds to me like you have your engine configuration setup so you CAN run LOP without too much worry. I am assuming you also have the appropriate monitoring equipment to monitor your settings when running in this environment. Given that, I agree with RV10inOZ that gaining further education concerning the operation of YOUR engine will be very beneficial.

A question that intrigues me is - Just exactly what is your greatest fear in giving running LOP a try? Are you thinking you are going to shread $25,000 worth of engine if something goes wrong? I think when the guru's discuss racing scenarios where engines are running right on that sharp cliff of performance where danger lurks, that is a distinct possibility. I don't think our standard cruise environments will have the same type of consequences. It is a valuable exercise for all of us non-experts to listen and learn from those in the racing world and those engine manufacturers testing all of this, but we need to also be able to weigh the consequences of actions for ourselves. Hopefully, by doing so we can come to terms with our own understanding when we read articles and posts or when we talk with engine experts. It is really the only way we can expect to apply these new (to us) concepts in practical terms for ourselves.

As always, my .02 that actually only cost you exactly what you payed for it.

Live Long and Prosper!

Yep, I pretty much agree with everything you said here RVbySDI. I don't see how it is possible to detonate a standard 7.5 to 8.5 Lyc at 65% power on 100LL. I did a quick calc and some Reno engines are running around 2.5 times the BMEP of an O-360 at 65% and they are not blowing up from detonation. While we run a lot richer than LOP obviously, I just don't buy it that LOP under cruise conditions at altitude with with standard timing and 100LL is any danger at all as far as detonation goes. Heck, many people are doing this every day with 91 octane unleaded which is way more iffy- but even that seems to be working ok.

100LL is pretty good stuff. I have run turbo engines on the dyno at BMEP levels of over 430 psi on straight 100LL (no ADI)- no detonation on a very old engine design with hemi head and single central spark plug. A Lyco at 65% is only running around 107 psi.

BTW I totally buy into LOP cruise operation for properly instrumented Contis and Lycos. The science and long term results sell me on the idea.

RV10 in OZ, how do you know detonation is happening on your IO-540 at takeoff power and why would you want to induce this?

So, way oversquare on 100LL dangerous from a detonation standpoint? Probably not. On 91 octane, maybe, depending on CR, CHT and timing. Dangerous from a vibration/ harmonic standpoint? Possibly long term. Interesting experiment? Absolutely and I await to see the results of further testing.:)

Last edited:
Ross,

A hot day, hot engine, at sea level full bore and a few CHTs that would race through to 400+ while the others stayed normal.

The IO540 under certain conditions meets the criteria for mild to almost medium detonation. This would not be considered "Conforming" however.

If I did not take the time with EMS data and several checks for cracked plugs etc etc and several discussions with John Deakin, and just blissfully flown along not paying any attention, it may have taken a little while, but eventually the result would have had a engine builder telling me that's what you get for running LOP, when in fact the problem was still ROP, just not rich enough.

What caused it, Vans supplied cables too short, mixture arm too long, and as the engine rubbers settled the pull forward, however slight was pulling the mixture lean, affected some cylinders enough, less on others.

Now if you have it just right, or just wrong as the case may be, you now have a non conforming engine.

In the good old days with a single point gauge that hardly worked anyway, you could be blissfully unaware for hundreds of hours. Because cowls off not running this was hard to pick.

Have a good week y'all

Dan, do you have any additional refs on this piece of gear. Sounds like the "det-o-meter" I spoke tounge in cheek about earlier...if there is such an animal, I'd like to learn more. Will call Lyc and Lycon, but interested in any amplifying or additional info or refs you have.

Bob and Bob.....ran across this on the Sky Dynamics website:

http://www.skydynamics.com/sddata.htm

You now know as much about it as I do.

I have some Data points from last week with 10 to 1 pistons. Engine is a ECI 10360 with the ECI fuel injection system and cold air intake. Most of my flights are short so its hard to really run a complete mapping of different FF and power options. All of these numbers are at 11,500 feet. OAT was 54 F. It was hot that day!

2700 RPM FF 9.4
All CHT's low 300's
187 knots TAS

2500 RPM FF 8.7
183 Knots TAS
CHT rising a bit but same relationship between cylinders.

2500 RPM FF 8.5
181 knots true
CHT's 340 356 358 356

2500 RMP FF 8.2
180 true CHT's up about 5 degrees from above

2500 RPM FF 8.0
180 knots true CHT's stable

2500 RMP FF 7.8
178 knots true, CHTS down about 10 degrees

2500 RMP FF 7.7
174 knots true, CHT's trending down

2500 RMP FF 7.6
175 knots true CHT's 295 310 312 309

I did not have as much time between FF reductions as I would have liked to make sure things are stable. I am just a little concerned about the EGT on number 2. 50 hours ago we pulled the number 1 cylinder because of a miss cut exhaust valve. Prior to that the number 2 was more in line with the others. The exhaust was disconnected from number 2 at that time. Since the cylinder was put back on EGT has been higher but the relationship very stable. Number 1 has been very cool since the reinstall. It was more in line with number 4 prior to that. Is there anything I should be watching for a consider from these numbers? Overall the engine is running really well. I did not get as far LOP as I wanted because I had to start down. I have however noted a slight roughness when at 8500 to 9500 around 50 LOP.
This was a first attempt at flying higher on a cross country then the usual 8500 to 9500. It was suggested that I would like the results of flying higher with the 10 to 1 pistons and overall I really liked the numbers. FF numbers should be right on because the totalizer always matches pumped fuel within .1 gallons.

George

Last edited:
I would not be too concerned about the slightly higher reading on the EGT. It is close to the number four cylinder both which are the back two cylinders. Swap probes they have been known to change with time. If the problem follows the probe you will know. Your head temps are great, you'll never get all cylinder temps on the EGT or head the same. That is one of the problems with the digital age our readings are too accurate. Same as a digital watch we never cared with an analogue watch the exact time.

One thing I did not mention is that at high power down low such as on takeoff the number two EGT runs about 60 degrees hotter then the others. It does fall back into line at cruise. This is new behavior after the engine work.

George

I have some Data points from last week with 10 to 1 pistons. Engine is a ECI 10360 with the ECI fuel injection system and cold air intake. Most of my flights are short so its hard to really run a complete mapping of different FF and power options. All of these numbers are at 11,500 feet. OAT was 54 F. It was hot that day!

2700 RPM FF 9.4
All CHT's low 300's
187 knots TAS

2500 RPM FF 8.7
183 Knots TAS
CHT rising a bit but same relationship between cylinders.

2500 RPM FF 8.5
181 knots true
CHT's 340 356 358 356

2500 RMP FF 8.2
180 true CHT's up about 5 degrees from above

2500 RPM FF 8.0
180 knots true CHT's stable

2500 RMP FF 7.8
178 knots true, CHTS down about 10 degrees

2500 RMP FF 7.7
174 knots true, CHT's trending down

2500 RMP FF 7.6
175 knots true CHT's 295 310 312 309

I did not have as much time between FF reductions as I would have liked to make sure things are stable. I am just a little concerned about the EGT on number 2. 50 hours ago we pulled the number 1 cylinder because of a miss cut exhaust valve. Prior to that the number 2 was more in line with the others. The exhaust was disconnected from number 2 at that time. Since the cylinder was put back on EGT has been higher but the relationship very stable. Number 1 has been very cool since the reinstall. It was more in line with number 4 prior to that. Is there anything I should be watching for a consider from these numbers? Overall the engine is running really well. I did not get as far LOP as I wanted because I had to start down. I have however noted a slight roughness when at 8500 to 9500 around 50 LOP.
This was a first attempt at flying higher on a cross country then the usual 8500 to 9500. It was suggested that I would like the results of flying higher with the 10 to 1 pistons and overall I really liked the numbers. FF numbers should be right on because the totalizer always matches pumped fuel within .1 gallons.

George
George,
In presenting your data it appears you are spending a great deal of effort monitoring your EGT's. Although the EGT's will be your defining numbers to use during the actual act of leaning the mixture, the truth is you should be monitoring the CHT's even closer once you have achieved LOP. If any problems were to develop while running LOP it will be the CHT's that will show a problem developing. the EGT's can fluctuate quite a bit during a LOP environment. The key to monitoring the EGT's is to watch the TRENDS not the individual numbers.

So given this can you tell us what the CHT's are for Cylinder 2 when LOP? For the two examples where you provide CHT numbers it does not appear the Cylinder 2 CHT's are out of line with the rest of the cylinders. If that is the case, perhaps you have an EGT probe problem on that cylinder. I am assuming all the probes are setup identically but, if not, this may be a potential reason for the difference in readings. Are all the probes the same distance from the exhaust port? Are they all the same age, condition? Is there anything different at all with the Cylinder 2 probe that could account for the difference? Worth exploring since your 2 reported CHT's for that cylinder do not show any abnormality.

Back to the concerns for your engine, once you are running LOP the EGT's become less important than do the CHT'S. When LOP is established and stable you should notice substantially lower CHT's for all of your cylinders. You also want to make sure they are within a few degrees of each other. When successfully running LOP your CHT's should be within 10-15 degrees of each other, and if closer than that better yet. I typically see CHT's anywhere from 6-15 degrees from each other in an established LOP environment. If you see one CHT drastically different than the other cylinders you know that cylinder is cause for concern and you should track down the cause.

From the information you have provided, my humble opinion is that your engine seems to be running good. As many on this post have already mentioned, and I also believe, running LOP in cruise, especially at higher altitudes is not going to be dangerous for your engine. Continue to observe the readings and learn what specifically to pay attention to and you should be doing great.

One last comment concerning temperatures. Don't forget the oil temperature. This is another temperature to monitor when watching for abnormalities in your engine. I have observed lower oil temperatures in the 170-180 range when running LOP. This may be a tad low as most manufacturers suggest not letting oil temperatures operate lower than 180 degrees. In my situation I am looking at making some adjustments to get my oil temperatures up a little in cruise. You do not give any oil temperature readings but this is important to watch also.

Live Long and Prosper!

I agree that I should have written down the cylinder head temps at all the settings. They have however always been very good. Oil temps were in the 190 range. As far as CHT the one change has been that since having Penn Yan recut the exhaust valve seat on the number 1 cylinder it has been running about 20 degrees cooler in all modes of operation. I wonder if perhaps in pulling and reinstalling the cylinder it caused a change in the probe reading or if its actually that much cooler. CHT's are excellent in all the LOPS ops and I see the expected drops. Even on 100 degree days here in the SE I don't exceed 375 on any cylinder during TO and climb out. I have had my oil up to about 208 doing pattern work on those days.

George