My thoughts exactly ...

If not, I guess I could always get going on straightening all 543209 ribs in this thing.
:D

I was thinking I would start playing with the ribs too - getting them fluted and deburred - that should most of the summer :D

Look what I got today!

35alqo7.jpg

You all get your nut plates yet? Mine are backordered too.

Last edited:
Sweeeetttt!

Looking Good Kevin! Glad to see the wings arrive. Yes, the nutplates finally arrived a week or so ago. I guess they are clearing the pipeline as it was ordered, in a first ordered first sent mode. Hopefully it won't take them too long to get to yours!! :)

35alqo7.jpg

You all get your nut plates yet? Mine are backordered too.

Thanks!

I completed most of the inventory tonight. So far only missing two tank joint plates. I think the nutplates that are backordered go with the stall warning kit, so it will be a day or two before I need them anyway. I still have to inventory all the hardware in detail, but first I'm going to go to Harbor Freight and get a couple more organizers to put it all in when I separate it. Then I'm going to make shelves out of the crates and reorganize my shop a little. Then study the plans. Then get started!

Last edited:
When I called Van's about my backordered stuff a couple weeks ago, I was told they were having some trouble with the supplier of the tank attach nutplates, and that they were expecting to get them back in stock around the first of May. They went ahead and shipped out the other stuff I was missing, which consisted of some nutplates for the stall warn kit (which I'm not planning on using anyway) and a couple of tank ribs.

Make sure you make a countersinking jig for all the main spar/tank att points for the platenuts.he plans do NOT say anything about the countersinking becoming totally FU**ed up :mad: due to chatter. Do yourself the favor and go to Home depot to get some $10 aluminum to make the countersink guides. If you want I can send you mine. :)

Countersink guides

Do yourself the favor and go to Home depot to get some $10 aluminum to make the countersink guides. If you want I can send you mine.

I would love to see a picture of what your talking about before I get started on mine.

I did it per Van's instructions and didn't have any problems. The one thing I read on here that wasn't in Van's instructions was to use a slower drill, and not a high speed pneumatic. I used my cordless drill and the countersinks all turned out fine.

Speed matters

I used the air drill too, since it seemed that that was the only tool ever used. It did bugger up the countersinks, but at that time it seemed to be accepted as normal. Someone finally used the same countersink with their normal cordless drill and it worked like magic, so the "norm" changed.

Follow the instructions, use your Makita, and proceed.

Here is some more info for you...

I would love to see a picture of what your talking about before I get started on mine.

Yes, there seems to be two (at least) schools of thought on the tank platenut coutersinking, the plans method and the "Rudi Greyling" method (although I am sure there are more than just two!) I found that there were about equal atendees in each camp so I opted for the Van's plan method, but did use the slower cordless drill - and I was very happy with my results! :)

Here is the Rudi method... http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=2740

Yes, there seems to be two (at least) schools of thought on the tank platenut coutersinking, the plans method and the "Rudi Greyling" method (although I am sure there are more than just two!) I found that there were about equal atendees in each camp so I opted for the Van's plan method, but did use the slower cordless drill - and I was very happy with my results! :)

Here is the Rudi method... http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=2740

Same here...I've done all my spar countersinking using the factory method, using a slow cordless, and I ended up with nice countersinks. I'd say the only drawback is that I've been a bit spoiled by the light air drill, and going back to the heavy cordless is maybe a bit more fatiguing.