Drag and Relentless

Paul:

I saw that thing at SnF. Single air inlet and that humongus stainless steel exhaust---my first thought---turbine?????? Naaaah just an old 4 stroke. Didn't get any pics. Do you have any?

Bob:

sorry about thread drift. Maybe somewhat relevant since it had a single oval air inlet below the spinner. Maybe he's on to something.

NASA CR-3405 Web Link

It's 152 pages... Only 65 are 'reading' pages, the rest are graphs and pictures...

The high lites according to Dave:

P 26... 55% of the entering air bypasses the engine...

P 27... With a 'dog house' upper plenum, the same pressure drop across the engine was achieved with 38% less flow entering the inlets...

P 28... 8% leakage around the baffles where they meet the cylinders...

P 29... Installing a front engine baffle to remove cowl/spinner gap losses netted 9%...

P 42... Inlet lip contours should be well-rounded with large radii to minimize inlet stall...

P 57... Cowl Exit Study: Poor inlet design and leaky baffles can be compensated for by subsequently increasing the exit area to achieve the required cooling, at a considerable drag cost...

P 65... Conclusion #7: The aerodynamic behavior of the cowl inlets are a major factor in the effectiveness of the cooling installation. There is an obvious need for basic inlet design guidance...

HTH,
Dave

Dave,
Thanks for pointing out my error. It appears that the original link no longer points to the correct document. I tried it again today and it took me to a third document (differs from the one it took me to on 4/16/08) I found CR405 here.

http://tinyurl.com/66j2m9

My eyes glazed over when I spotted the size (1025 pages) of the erroneous document the link led me to (CR-160,525). Perhaps NASA's web master is re-organizing the site??? Or I screwed up in some unknown way?
Charlie Kuss

Last edited:
Paul:

I saw that thing at SnF. Single air inlet and that humongus stainless steel exhaust---my first thought---turbine?????? Naaaah just an old 4 stroke. Didn't get any pics. Do you have any?

Bob:

sorry about thread drift. Maybe somewhat relevant since it had a single oval air inlet below the spinner. Maybe he's on to something.

The single oval inlet is split to provide air to the induction system and oil cooler. Note that both Relentles and Nemisis use angular cooling inlets, not the circular inlets that are the rage in todays homebuilts.
tm

Mixed bag of racers, spam cans, canards & old plane ideas

I noticed the Cessna 'New style' inlets are pie slice shaped, the wide part is away from the spinner; perhaps it matches the arc of the propeller blade passing to gain the most from the prop blast?
If that is the case, then Vans inlets are backwards, being taller near the spinner and shorter outboard from the spinner.
I also noticed the Sam James Rotary engine cowl has a single inlet below the spinner. I guess it is located right in the center of the stagnation zone. Perhaps those Ranger, Menasco and Walter - LOM engines have some of the best inlets?
If you are contemplating new inlets they should be low on the cowl where the predicted stagnation zone is, and form a radial arc that matches the trailing edge of the propeller. I.E. a single vetical slot below the spinner that is wider at the bottom. The divergent duct should curve around the left side of the prop shaft-extention (same as prop rotation) and up to the upper deck plenum for you down draft coolers. It would not have to enter the sealed plenum at the front.
While I'm being a total nutcase, I'd like to point out that some of the fastest piston powered planes ever built had hot air exits on the side of the fuselage, like Fw190, and Bearcat. The previously depicted cooling outlet ducting on the pusher plane looks like a candidate for side outlet of engine cooling air and exhaust. Then the bottom of the plane could be cleaned up and several inches of protruding ramp removed completely. the bottom is a high pressure area and drag there adds an extra penalty.
Now I know all this adds up to a lot of dam work, and it will look strange when it's done. It's probably harder to apply this inlet to a Flat Lycoming style engine. But if the side cooling / exhaust outlets made more room under the engine, the inlet diffuser could actually be 3 or 4 feet long and fill the plenum from the back, although it would not be straight.
Usual disclaimers, no harm intended, no axe to grind etc.

I have individual diffusers; one for each side of the engine. They start at 4" wide at the inlet and expand to 8 1/2" wide at the front cylinder and are 2" high. They are sealed to the cylinders at the push-rod tubes. the cylinders are wrapped with carbon fiber from the push-rod tubes down to the bottom where exhaust is mixed with the flow and both conducted out of the cowling through a duct that is common to both cylinders on each side.To keep the diffuser angle small each diffuser has two splitter plates from the inlet to the cylinders forming three narrow-angle ducts, as it were.

Hummm...

I noticed the Cessna 'New style' inlets are pie slice shaped, the wide part is away from the spinner; perhaps it matches the arc of the propeller blade passing to gain the most from the prop blast?
If that is the case, then Vans inlets are backwards, being taller near the spinner and shorter outboard from the spinner.
I also noticed the Sam James Rotary engine cowl has a single inlet below the spinner. I guess it is located right in the center of the stagnation zone. Perhaps those Ranger, Menasco and Walter - LOM engines have some of the best inlets?
If you are contemplating new inlets they should be low on the cowl where the predicted stagnation zone is, and form a radial arc that matches the trailing edge of the propeller. I.E. a single vetical slot below the spinner that is wider at the bottom. The divergent duct should curve around the left side of the prop shaft-extention (same as prop rotation) and up to the upper deck plenum for you down draft coolers. It would not have to enter the sealed plenum at the front.
While I'm being a total nutcase, I'd like to point out that some of the fastest piston powered planes ever built had hot air exits on the side of the fuselage, like Fw190, and Bearcat. The previously depicted cooling outlet ducting on the pusher plane looks like a candidate for side outlet of engine cooling air and exhaust. Then the bottom of the plane could be cleaned up and several inches of protruding ramp removed completely. the bottom is a high pressure area and drag there adds an extra penalty.
Now I know all this adds up to a lot of dam work, and it will look strange when it's done. It's probably harder to apply this inlet to a Flat Lycoming style engine. But if the side cooling / exhaust outlets made more room under the engine, the inlet diffuser could actually be 3 or 4 feet long and fill the plenum from the back, although it would not be straight.
Usual disclaimers, no harm intended, no axe to grind etc.

Funny you should notice and mention the inlet "pie shapes". The other day I gave my plane dredlocks around the cowling. All was what I thought except for the cooling inlets and the air inlet. The 1st 2" from the spinner I noticed the air going in different directions (As Facing the prop) down on the left, up on the right, however the air was not constant in those directions. So the 1st 2" from the spinner is not good for a cooling inlet. I also noticed that the center or bottom of the inlets air went in reverse. Out not In. I belive this might be because of undersized air outlets. So i continue to fine tune til the goes-in-to is as good as the goes-out-of.......Although this was not done on an rv, the ideas should be the same.

I have individual diffusers; one for each side of the engine. They start at 4" wide at the inlet and expand to 8 1/2" wide at the front cylinder and are 2" high. They are sealed to the cylinders at the push-rod tubes. the cylinders are wrapped with carbon fiber from the push-rod tubes down to the bottom where exhaust is mixed with the flow and both conducted out of the cowling through a duct that is common to both cylinders on each side.To keep the diffuser angle small each diffuser has two splitter plates from the inlet to the cylinders forming three narrow-angle ducts, as it were.

Can we see some pictures?