Thanks! I knew the reason was that they though it should emulate a manual flap handle. But that's bunk! Every pilot I've flown with in the -12 repeatedly moves the switch the wrong way. When you see a switch, you don't think "flap handle". That just doesn't jibe.

If I could, I'd either reorient the switch, or move it to the panel where it would be a lot handier to find and to operate. The way it is just doesn't compute in my mind (or the minds of everyone I fly with).
I learned on a plane with a Johnson bar and like the original 12‘s bar means pulling up deploys the flaps… it makes perfect sense to me and the workflow is similar allowing me to transition between classic and iS easily. I typically put in two seconds of flaps at each leg before landing with wings level adjustIng for the slight nose drop when the flaps are deployed. Having the button near the power lever makes it easy for me. Another thought is if the majority of the installs have the button operated up to deploy flaps … a new person to the plane could be surprised by the non factory layout. And would the insurance folks indemnify if something happened?

I do see the reasoning of reversing the button if one is use to other flap buttons from something like a Cessna, Vans (non 12) and many others. Down deploys the flaps and vice versa. I guess it depends on the pilot’s background.

Also, the standard placards for the switch would need to be updated to reflect the change obviously.

The big take away from this is to always know the plane and how the controls work before flying and enjoy flying a really cool airplane.