Maybe the answer is if you by an engine and prop to wait and ship them together. Maybe for some reason this would help to speed up engine production and I still don't understand giving a deposit years in advance for something that they can still raise the price on at their discretion.

Good point.

Mayo has an expiration date and you have a feel for how much your family consumes, easy peasy. Hartzell props don't have an expiration date listed on the order form and most don't know when it will be consumed. I would bet that the vast majority have no clue when they are offered the discounted prop pricing that if it's stored for a period, there may be an issue. Only way I found out is on this forum.

How about Hartzell / Vans putting the notice in red on the order form "IF YOU WILL NOT USE THIS PROPELLER IN 1-x?? YEARS, YOU MAY NEED TO SPEND $2000 TO HAVE IT RESEALED"

I do understand how much mayonnaise I will consume and the gallon of Mayo goes pretty quick! šŸ˜‰

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I think a lot of folks donā€™t understand what it is to be the manufacturer of the aircraft that is under construction.

The ease of building which Vans has added into their kits has perhaps created ā€œassemblersā€ and as a result has inadvertently attracted clients that are not mentally prepared to be a manufacturer and all the responsibility that comes with it.

Part of that responsibility is understanding the 3rd party major components. The operation, storage, parts, manuals and bulletins are all available. It is something that a manufacturer should have knowledge. Assemblers are not as sophisticated and as such are ignorant to the requirements.

Sorry if it sounds harsh.

I was about to pull the trigger on an engine/prop combo to get the $1,000 discount when I stumbled across this thread. Will storing the prop in a climate controlled facility prevent the issues being experience? Would like to take advantage of the discount...but certainly not worth it if I'm going to have it resealed!

Storing in climate controlled environment will not prevent the repacking issue. Vans and Harzell really need to step up and put this info in the ordering forms/information.

It's costing me about $2000 currently so I lost $1000 by taking the Vans "deal".

Glad you found this thread.

Last edited:
My prop is coming back today after reseal/repack. $1500. Prop was bought in 2016 and never installed. Lesson learned too late - donā€™t buy a prop until well into the build cycle. I am almost ready to,fly, so I will get some use out of it this time.

How about packaging every prop in the ā€œenvironment packagingā€ for shipping from the factory or at least have it as an option. Canā€™t hurt and might add some extra storage time.

My prop is coming back today after reseal/repack. $1500. Prop was bought in 2016 and never installed. Lesson learned too late - donā€™t buy a prop until well into the build cycle. I am almost ready to,fly, so I will get some use out of it this time.
Just curious, did they see anything in the prop that gave them concern? What kind of grease was it?

How about packaging every prop in the ā€œenvironment packagingā€ for shipping from the factory or at least have it as an option. Canā€™t hurt and might add some extra storage time.
Or at least give guidance of what accelerates grease separation and seals drying out. Seems the grease separation is the larger of the 2 issues. Does the "environmental packaging" help the grease separation? Again, data would be helpful.

Iā€™m thinking the primary issue is the grease separating. If you have a prop in storage why not periodically, say once a year, pump a tube of the NYCO GN3058 grease through it?

The OP said his prop started slinging grease after 100 hours. Again it makes sense to pump more NYCO GN3058 through it before it starts slinging the grease.

Cycling the grease out to mitigate a potential problem seems more logical than mailing off a a perfectly good prop for ā€˜recreational maintenanceā€™.

Review all the posts on this and you'll see that the type of grease - NYCO, Aeroshell 5 or 6 doesn't matter - builders with all three have the same issue. The environment also doesn't seem to make a difference. Harzell's engineer is on VAF confirming all of this. Questions on "environmental packaging", packaging dry, Storing up, down, horizontal, vertical, rotating, air conditioning, etc. have all been discussed with dead ends.

Sure with Vans and Hartzell would disclose this on the ordering forms.

Iā€™m thinking the primary issue is the grease separating. If you have a prop in storage why not periodically, say once a year, pump a tube of the NYCO GN3058 grease through it?

The OP said his prop started slinging grease after 100 hours. Again it makes sense to pump more NYCO GN3058 through it before it starts slinging the grease.

Cycling the grease out to mitigate a potential problem seems more logical than mailing off a a perfectly good prop for ā€˜recreational maintenanceā€™

Because many owners, prop shops and even Hartzell engineers have explained countless times that there is no way to completely change, purge or refresh the grease in these props without disassembling them.

Cycling the grease out to mitigate a potential problem seems more logical than mailing off a a perfectly good prop for ā€˜recreational maintenanceā€™.
The thing is - the hub Is not ā€œfullā€ of grease, so pumping a boat-load of grease into it to flush the old stuff out is not a solution, it just creates other problems.

I guess if you just put the prop in your walk-in freezer the grease will stay put until you are ready to fly. You do have a walk-in freezer in your house, right? :ROFLMAO:

I guess if you just put the prop in your walk-in freezer the grease will stay put until you are ready to fly. You do have a walk-in freezer in your house, right? :ROFLMAO:
As the OP and having gone through the whole processā€¦.buying the prop 2 years before flight, storing it in, at times, very warm garage and suffering the consequencesā€¦ my advice is to NOT buy the prop until needed. BUT, if you do have the prop for an extended amount of time, keeping it cool may be worth the effort.

Hartzell will double the warranty time (from 2 to 4 yrs.) if the prop is packaged (Packaging requirements are pretty simple and could be fairly easily duplicated at home) and stored in "preferred conditions", attached which also seem very easy to do. It appears the recommendation for temperature fluctuations is incorrect as +/- 50 F is not +/- 10 C should be avoided. I think the +/- 10 C (+/- 18 F) is probably what they want. Note Hartzell most likely will not give the 4 years if you do your own packaging but getting data to understand how they can double the time would be meaningful. BTW, I have repackaged my prop adding desiccant bags and shrink wrap storing it in a climate-controlled environment, can't hurt. When the time comes to use it, I will install and see if it spits grease. If it does will pick a time that I am not using the prop and get it resealed. Prop shops around here can do it in a matter of days.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-06-11 113056.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-11 113056.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot 2024-06-13 133234.jpg
    Screenshot 2024-06-13 133234.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
The thing is - the hub Is not ā€œfullā€ of grease, so pumping a boat-load of grease into it to flush the old stuff out is not a solution, it just creates other problems.
If you have a pre 2020 hub. You can:
A: Do nothing
B: Do something like try to purge it out
C: Spend a bunch of money

the OP flew it for 100 hours before it started leaking.

Post#8 had the nyco grease separating and post #23 had a leak that ā€œspit grease for 15 hrs. Then slowed spitting and stoppedā€

If you donā€™t have money to burn. You donā€™t need to be anywhere near an aircraft. Light ā€˜em if you got 'em.

Just curious, did they see anything in the prop that gave them concern? What kind of grease was it?
Nope. It was just the DAR requiring it before he would do the visit. The net effect is positive - apparently, the prop shop did some kind of hub mod. Iā€™ll find out what that was when I pick it up today. The prop shop did tell me that the grease used 11 years ago solidifies with time.

Called Hartzell today. Asked about 4 year long term box and what the extra cost would be. The lady that I spoke with put me on hold and checked around to answer my question. "It is not something we offer, and after two years it would need to serviced anyway" I did query why the long term storage was mentioned in the service instructions. She did not have an answer.