Glastar back door

Anyone know how big that back door is and the vertical on the cabin back there?

Replacement for an RV-8 ???

Since I learned to fly in a tandem plane, a Schweitzer TG-2 army glider while I was in the Air Explorers in 1972, I prefer that tandem low wing feeling.
I Also like the Radial Rocket. I think it looks like a modern interpretation of a Fokker D-21 fighter, and it's nearly as fast.
But someone already mentioned Stardusters: The only problem I have with them is that they are biplanes. The fuselage and elliptical wings are beutiful beyond comparison. A Starduster Low Wing is what I think about. Many semi completed airframes are right at the point of being 'easily' switched to a low wing monoplane. With all that drag removed, and a nice Lyc or Conti big block, it should scoot right along. Depends on how you design the cantilever wing, and if you use low drag landing gear.
I always spend a little extra time at the airshow looking at Stardusters.

Mini Corsair

I've always thought those W.A.R. Corsairs were cool, and now that a small Rotec radial ia available, that's what I'd build.

Lionheart

I saw only one mention of the Lionheart. Is that kit still available? I've always really liked that concept. Big, beautiful, roomy, fast, tailwheel, and round engine. And the P&W R985 seems like really good hp per $$$s to me. I wonder why that kit never became more popular....

CDE

I saw only one mention of the Lionheart. Is that kit still available? I've always really liked that concept. Big, beautiful, roomy, fast, tailwheel, and round engine. And the P&W R985 seems like really good hp per $$$s to me. I wonder why that kit never became more popular....

CDE

"Unfortunately, the Lionheart is currently out of production."

http://www.griffon-aerospace.com/lionheart.html

I followed this going into production as it is just beautiful. Unfortunately, it seems the Griffon folks found they can make more money on UAVs...

--Bill

Glasair III was my first love...and the Lancair Legacy is a fast, slick looking plane that I also like...

...really like the Carbon Cub that Cubcrafters offers also.

For the same mission, probably a Glasair II RG... lose a bit of rough field capability... but with an IO-390 that airplane is just about as perfect as it gets.

I was told i cant talk about the ravin on a 100% Vans Aircraft sight.. So i will be deleting all my posts

Last edited:
I considered the Sportsman 2+2 and was then very serious about the Bearhawk 4 place. Then took a long look at a Bearhawk Patrol. If there were no RV's I would learn to weld and build a Bearhawk Patrol. It out supers a Supercub.

It would have to be something fast and economical. Who knows what fuel will cost in the 2-5 years a build would take? Nothing plastic since I don't like working with the stuff. I enjoy welding and can tolerate fabric work so a plans built Tailwind with an 0-320 might work. If medicals become a problem, I would look at a Thather (sp) or Sonex, and if I could find a kit, a HP-18. But if I was going to build again, I would really like a fastback RV-4 built light except for a 0-360 engine.

Shooter

I am flying my 4Th RV a RV8 'Borrowed Horse'

If ??? there where no RVs,,,, and I am glad there are... I would probably have built a Bear Hawk, or a Cessna 185 Super Cyclone.

I have a North Star 'super cub' 180, as a second, I call it 'Shooter'. It is 5 years old and has been to Idaho every summer since I built it. I also use it for those evening flights to no where. I live on my airport and like to push it out and fly while the sun goes down after a long day working in the hanger.

Idaho is a long way from Texas in a 'Super Cub', about 16 hours. I long for a faster camping airplane. The Cessna 185 is on the top of my dream list. Just need a bigger hanger and another 100k :rolleyes:

To answer the question I would build a Super Cyclone, if available? or a Bear Hawk.... But that was then, NOW ,,I would rather fly,,,, so I would buy..a C185. Now how to get it in HBC @ OSH ??

Last edited:
Lancair 360 or Radial Rocket

If no RV, then a Lancair 360. Just a delight to fly. If an RV is a sports car, the Lancair 360 is a Ferrari. I've never flown in a radial rocket, but it sure looks good, and I'd love to have one.

Ummm, I thought you said electric powered. Truth is they will be coal powered as that is where most of our electricity comes from.

Wow. Somebody has a bug stuck up where the sun don't shine.

I don't believe that the airplane will carry any coal at all. Where the person chooses to get their electricity to charge the airplane is up to them. Maybe they have a wind turbine installed at their home or hanger, maybe they choose to put up solar panels. I supposed you are going to tell me that the hoover dam is coal powered as well. I'm not sure but I think those three nuclear power plants here in CT don't run on coal either.

Not everyone wants an electric airplane to save gas. There are other benefits. How about it being quieter than that big gas breathing monster you have on the front of your RV. How about the fact that electric motors typically have better low end torque and might allow for better props to be used. How about the fact that there are far fewer moving parts to fail compared to a gas engine. How about getting off your high eco-bashing horse and realizing that not everyone that wants to see the development of electric airplanes is a tree hugging nut.

Keith

Keith, you have a good point there.

No matter where the electricity is generated from, the driving force that created it can be followed back to the sun.

Hydro depends on rain ---clouds form from sun heating of the water and air.

Wind mills---sun causes uneven heating of air masses.

Coal----sun grew plant matter a couple of eons ago.

Basically ALL forms of electricity we use are NUCLEAR derived.

Wow. Somebody has a bug stuck up where the sun don't shine.
Keith,

I wouldn't say that. But when people talk about how great electric vehicles are, they never mention that the power they used has to be generated some place. The majority of the electricity is generated by coal, followed by natural gas, and nuclear. The rest of the equation is hydro, petroleum, and "other" (http://www.eia.doe.gov/cneaf/electricity/epm/epm_sum.html).

People seem to think electricity powered vehicles don't pollute. Truth is they do, just in different places. The other question I have is, what about transmission losses over the power lines? Some time back I read that electric power is one of the least efficient means of transportation because of this. Sorry, no reference to site on that as it was probably 10 years ago when I read that article. Guess what, our means of transporting electrical energy hasn't changed much in 10 years, so I doubt those numbers have changed.

It would be great if electric powered vehicles were efficient but at this point they are not. It is kind of like the guy who buys a hybrid to save the planet. The problem with them is the batteries. They are made from nasty chemicals and have to be recycled at some point. I suspect, but don't know, that the net-net pollution from a hybrid is greater than for a regular internal combustion engine.

Last edited:
since we're thread drifting

Hydro?...did someone say hydro?

here's a pic of me with the crew. it's a 5meter Pit Kaplan producing 10megawatts at 92%gate. Is it clean/green power? I say yes, does it have eviromental impact which is offensive to some people, again yes.
AM2009_Pix023.jpg

Disclaimer: I prefer Nuke plants to coal fired

back to your regularly scheduled program.

I'd look at a Supercub or another Rans project

If No RV

If I hadn't discovered the RV I would have sucked it up and gone through with my purchase of the Lancair Legacy FG.

It's an amazing plane, but was more money than I wanted to spend at the time or now for that matter. The performance envelope, price and RV community won me over.

Last edited:
sportsman 2+2 hands down.

Rob, your loaner Sportsman is a factory bird. Since the TWTT program uses your glass, what were you doing with her? Anything to share?

I've already picked my next airplane project -- a Lockwood Aircam. It's about as far from an RV as you can get, but like an RV, it performs its designed mission superbly.

Years ago, a college roommate and I developed our personal lists of the top airplanes we'd own if money and time were no limitation. We decided that an airplane from each of the following categories would be good:

1. A fast, IFR capable, cross-country machine.
2. Something capable of sportsman/intermediate aerobatics. It should be a two-seater, so you can share the fun with someone else.
3. A light, slow, simple, high-wing, sightseeing plane for cruising around the local area on fine summer evenings after dinner.
4. A back-country bushplane that could be put on amphib floats when the mood strikes.
5. A WWII warbird, preferably with a big, round motor that marks its territory with oil. It should require a tug to move in and out of the hangar, burn ridiculous amounts of fuel, rattle windows in the FBO as you taxi by, and celibrate all that is American airpower circa ~1945. (I'm thinking F8F Bearcat...)
6. A biplane, preferably of the Stearman / N3N / Waco CTO-R / TravelAir 4000 varieties. Gotta have a biplane.
7. A jet warbird, to satisfy that old military fighter pilot itch. The F-86 would be a serious contender, but an L-39 is more than adequate.
8. A bizjet for serious traveling. (Citation X, anyone?) :)

Turns out, my RV-8 will satisfy both #1 and #2 for me. The Aircam will satisfy #3 and #4. Now I must figure out how to do the others...

And I'd still love to build a BD-5J, a Prowler, a Turbine Legend, a Pitts Model 12, and geez, I could go on and on... Now look what you guys have done.

*Sigh* -- So many airplanes, so little time and money...

Last edited:
all the way, sir

Ummm, I thought you said electric powered. Truth is they will be coal powered as that is where most of our electricity comes from.

If you are going to do that, go all the way. Fusion powered via solar.

the topic is over this way

Sorry to support the OT.

I've been "going to build" for some time. I have a Bensen Gyrocopter preview plan that I saved for and bought when I was 8. Long ago.

Then, I was captivated by the Rotorway Scorpion. Then not so captivated.

The Exec, looked good, and would only take until I was 200 to save enough to buy a kit (at the rate then).

Then it was RutanForever Quickie, Q2.

Airplane given up as too expensive, went skydiving.
Had a blast.

Started dreaming again, but Q & Q2 no longer available. Q2000? maybe.
Kitplanes article on the Berkut. Oh baby. Yes.
I did a lot of hard looking at lifestyle, climate and cost to heat the space for curing. Waved off, and pretty disgusted with the effort and cost I saw it taking. A buddy has a "started" EZ from the early days, never finished.

Ok, I'm off the fiberglass ones then.
hmmmm.
What's popular?

So hello there everyone, I'm building an RV-8, in my own sweet time.
But one alternate was the Aussie 3/4 Spitfire.
If neither of those work out, I'm going shopping for "something I can afford".

I was really interested in the Tundra. I like the idea of an amphib a LOT. But earlier this year I went up for an aerobatic ride in a T-6 Texan at Warbirds in Kississmee, FL. After the first roll I said to myself, "that's it, I'm gonna have to get myself an aerobatic plane now because I'm gonna want to do this again..." And so I now have the preview plans for a 7A.